Main Menu

  • Notice of Special Enrollment Rights

    Generally, you are permitted to enroll or make changes to your enrollment in Monmouth University’s group health plans (for example, the medical or dental plans) during your initial eligibility (following a waiting period once hired into a benefits eligible position) or annually during our Open Enrollment period.

    However, if your personal situation changes at another time during the year, your eligibility for benefits or those of your dependents, may be impacted. Some of these events may qualify as an official change and these changes are known as “qualifying status events.” Depending on the event, you may change certain benefits with proper and timely written notification to the Office of Human Resources.

    The Monmouth University Open enrollment period occurs November 9,  2015 through November 30, 2015.  The effective date for all enrollments or changes in the medical, dental, flexible spending and life insurances is January 1, 2016. However, if you experience a qualified change in status you may be able to make mid-year changes.

    Some examples of changes that you may make include:

    • Add or remove eligible dependents covered under your medical or dental plans
    • Enroll in or discontinue your coverage
    • Begin a new or change an existing Medical or Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account
    • Add or change beneficiary information for your life insurance

    Examples of Status Events

    A life event change, also called a qualifying event, is a personal change in status which may allow you to change your benefit elections. Examples of some qualifying events include, but are not limited to, the following:

    1. Change in legal marital status – marriage, divorce, legal separation, annulment, or death of a spouse
    2. Change in number of dependents – birth, death, adoption, placement for adoption, award of legal guardianship
    3. Change in employment status of the employee’s spouse or employee’s dependent – switching from part-time to full-time employment status or from full-time to part-time, termination or commencement of employment, a strike or lockout, commencement of or return from an unpaid leave of absence which results in employee/dependent becoming ineligible for coverage
    4. Dependent child reaches the age of 26
    5. Loss of coverage due to expiration of COBRA continuation period

    Time Frames and Effective Dates

    If you experience a qualifying event, you will need to request a change, in writing, to your benefits within 30 calendar days of the event and provide any required documentation. Required documentation may include a marriage, birth, adoption or death certificate as appropriate. Or, in the case of loss of coverage in other health insurance plan, documentation from the insured party’s employer specifying type of coverage, reason for loss of coverage along with who was covered under the plan. If you do not request the change within 30 calendar days, the next opportunity you will have to make changes to your benefits will be during the next open enrollment period.

    If you declined enrollment for yourself or your dependents (including your spouse) at the time of your hire because of other health insurance or group health plan coverage, you may be able to enroll yourself and your dependents in the Monmouth University sponsored plan if you or your dependents lose eligibility for the other health insurance or group health plan coverage (or if the employer stops contributing towards your or your dependents’ other coverage). However, you must request enrollment within 30 days after you or your dependents’ other coverage ends (or after the employer stops contributing toward the other coverage).

    In addition, if you have a new dependent as a result of a marriage, birth, adoption or placement for adoption, you may be able to enroll yourself and your dependents. However, you must request enrollment within 30 days after the marriage, birth, adoption or placement for adoption.

    Additional information and FAQ’s can be accessed at the US Department of Labor’s Compliance Assistance Tool

    ** Please note that if the University is not notified within the time parameters outlined above resulting in the University incurring expenses, such expenses will be the responsibility of the employee.

    Updating Your Beneficiary

    When you have a qualifying status event change, it is also a good time to review your beneficiary whom you have designated to receive benefits in the event of your death.

    Changes in your family situation, as a result of a qualifying status event, do not automatically alter or revoke your previous beneficiary designations. Beneficiary designations made prior to the qualifying status event remain intact until you complete a new beneficiary form.

    You may wish to consider updating your life insurance and/or your TIAA–CREF retirement plan beneficiaries. Beneficiary forms for life insurance may be obtained from the Office of Human Resources. Beneficiary updates to your 403(b) Retirement Plan must be made directly with TIAA CREF (or with your previous 403(b) vendor).