Close Close

Experiential Education

Learn by Doing

Ready to put your learning into practice? With a built-in requirement and a variety of opportunities to fulfill it, we ensure you get the benefits that can only come with real-world experience.

Connecting Classroom Learning with Real-World Experience

Experiential Education is a general education requirement for ALL undergraduate students and seeks to provide practical, hands-on experience in a setting outside of the classroom. This program gives you work-related experience and opportunities to network in your chosen field.

Intern at Fortune 500 companies such as J.P. Morgan Chase. Teach children science lessons in New York City or Philadelphia. Study abroad in Australia, England, or Spain. Conduct water quality research at Barnegat Bay. Monmouth has countless opportunities for our students through Experiential Education.

What is Experiential Education (Ex Ed)?

Ex Ed is a general education requirement for ALL undergraduate students that seeks to give them practical, hands-on experience in a setting outside of the classroom environment. This program is a means of providing students with work-related experience and an opportunity to network in their chosen field. It also provides a chance for academic reflection. Typically, Ex Ed is fulfilled in one semester.

Experiential Education is a required part of your Monmouth education, and might mean:

  • Cooperative education
  • Experiential Education classes
  • Internships
  • Research projects
  • Service learning
  • Study abroad
What are the benefits of Ex Ed?
  • Ex Ed is a great way to learn more about your field of interest.
  • It may help you to determine if the major you have chosen is really for you.
  • It is a way to gain experience that looks great on a résumé.
  • It allows you to test your skills and focus on your area of interest.
  • Employers look for people with prior, hands-on experience.
  • It is a great way to make contacts and build a networking system.
  • It can be a source of future employment.
Are all Monmouth University students required to take part in Ex Ed?

All undergraduates are required to complete some type of Ex Ed.

Do all majors take the same kinds of courses to fulfill the Ex Ed requirement?

No. Courses that fulfill the Experiential Education requirement may vary from major to major. For example, Education majors can fulfill their Ex Ed requirement through student teaching. Please check the academic requirements for your major on your curriculum chart and with your advisor.

How is the Ex Ed requirement met?

This requirement can be fulfilled in any of the following ways:

Study Abroad: Monmouth has programs in London, England; Cadiz, Spain; Sydney, Australia; and Florence, Italy. They enable you to take the same number of credits and many of the same courses that you would take at Monmouth, for the same tuition and board costs. Visit the Study Abroad Website for more information.

Internship: A course in your major where students work in field placements and complete related class assignments. Students must meet individual department criteria for registering for internships and must find a faculty member to sponsor their internship experience.

Cooperative Education (Co-op): A course in which you apply classroom learning in paid academically relevant work experiences. During the course, you meet individually with a faculty member (sponsor) to complete related academic assignments. For help with a Co-op or internship, contact Career Development at 732-571-3471 or send an e-mail to

Service Learning: A course that allows students to apply what they learn in the classroom to projects that meet community needs. Students work with a faculty sponsor to complete related academic assignments. Through service learning, students work with nonprofits, schools, or governmental organizations. Visit the Service Learning and Community Programs Website for more information.

Ex Ed Classes: Courses that meet the Ex Ed requirement through field work. Ex Ed courses are available in many schools and departments here at Monmouth.

Research Projects: Opportunities for students, particularly those in the sciences, to work with a faculty member to conduct research, which can be funded from external sources.

How do I know if a Co-op, Internship, Service Learning project, or Ex Ed course is best for me?

First, you should check the curriculum requirements for your major to determine whether a specific Ex Ed experience has been incorporated into the major. The best place to check this is with your academic advisor in your department. Also, take a look at the Definition of Experiential Education Components that explains more about Internships, Service Learning, and Cooperative Education.

What if I change majors?

Again, your new department may have specific requirements, or you may find you have more flexibility in choosing an Ex Ed placement. It is important to speak with your academic advisor.

How can I guarantee that the experience I select will count?

By working with your advisor, you will be guided toward the best experience for your major and career goals. In addition, you must register for your Ex Ed requirement in order for it to count toward your degree. Your faculty sponsor can help you fill out the appropriate paperwork.

I’ve heard that I will need a resume, cover letter, and help preparing for interviews. I have no idea where to begin. Where can I get help?

See the Career Development Web site for helpful information and resources. The Center for Student Success also has workshops and counselors available to help you.

What are the necessary steps to complete the Ex Ed requirement?

Find a Placement
Meet with your advisor and determine which Ex Ed placement is right for you.
For help with a Co-op or internship, contact Career Development at 732-571-3471 or send an e-mail to

Find a Faculty Sponsor
Find a sponsor who has expertise in your area of placement and is available at the time of your placement.

Devise Learning Objectives
To register for Ex Ed, you need to devise learning objectives with the help of your faculty sponsor.
For help developing learning objectives for various placements, please consult the Cooperative Education Web site. Although this focuses on Co-ops, the general idea can be applied to all of the types of placements.

Complete Paperwork
Use the links below to access and download Learning Objectives forms:
Cooperative Education
Service Learning
Internships – Use a modified version of either of the above.

Enjoy your placement!

I’ve been doing volunteer work, and it seems like Experiential Education to me. Why doesn’t it count?

Only approved service learning projects carried out under the supervision of a faculty member as part of a course may qualify for the Experiential Education requirement. Please see your advisor for specific information.

When should I plan on fulfilling my Ex Ed requirement?

Ex Ed is usually fulfilled during the junior or senior year; however, it may be completed earlier.

Can I do Experiential Education during the summer?

Yes! Ex Ed can be completed in the summer and is subject to regular tuition amounts on a per-credit basis. If you plan on completing Ex Ed in the summer, you should also be sure to find a faculty sponsor who will be available in the summer.

Where are most Ex Ed placements located?

The majority of Ex Ed opportunities take place within New Jersey. However, there are no restrictions on where positions may be located.

Where are most Ex Ed placements located?

The majority of Ex Ed opportunities take place within New Jersey. However, there are no restrictions on where positions may be located.

How many hours do I need to do for each Ex Ed credit?

You will need to do 50 hours at your placement for each credit (1 credit = 50 hours; 2 credits = 100 hours; 3 credits = 150 hours, etc.), except in Art and Design (1 credit = 70 hours).

I found a placement through my family/friend/job, etc. Will it count for the requirement?

To be certain that a placement is appropriate, please check with your department. Family members cannot supervise you, and family businesses are not appropriate options for fulfilling the Ex Ed requirement.

Can any faculty member sponsor my Ex Ed placement?

No. The faculty member sponsoring your experience should have some level of expertise/comfort with the setting you have chosen. For example, if you plan on working in marketing, you should find a faculty member who specializes in marketing. The best sponsor is the person with the most experience in your chosen area of placement, regardless of department. Also, please keep in mind that faculty members are limited to the number of students they can supervise outside of the classroom and may not be available to supervise you even if they really want to. Please plan ahead and contact potential faculty sponsors well in advance.

More to Explore

Council on Undergraduate Research

This council’s mission is to support and promote high-quality undergraduate student-faculty collaborative research and scholarship in natural and social sciences and mathematics education at predominantly undergraduate institutions.

National Society of Experiential Education

The NSEE is a nonprofit membership association of educators, businesses, and community leaders. Founded in 1971, NSEE also serves as a national resource center for the development and improvement of experiential education programs nationwide.

Campus Compact

Dedicated solely to campus-based civic engagement, Campus Compact promotes public and community service that develops students’ citizenship skills, helps campuses forge effective community partnerships, and provides resources and training for faculty seeking to integrate civic and community-based learning into the curriculum.