Close Close

Consumer Information

Below is a listing of consumer information that must be made available to all current and prospective students in compliance with federal student financial aid requirements. Monmouth University makes every effort to ensure that it does not misrepresent the nature of its educational program, its financial charges, or the employability of its graduates.

Each topic gives a brief description of or leads to information that must be disclosed by law. Hard copies of these materials are available upon request. If a student desires a hard copy, or feels that a misrepresentation has occurred, students should contact the Director of Financial Aid at or by phone at 732-571-3463, during the University’s normal hours of operation.

FERPA Information

In carrying out their assigned responsibilities, many offices at Monmouth University collect and maintain information about students. Although these records belong to the University, both University policy and federal law accord students a number of rights concerning these records. The Federal Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) establishes the rules and regulations regarding access to and disclosure of student records.

General Information About Monmouth University

Accreditation Information

Academic Programs


  • Undergraduate
  • Graduate
  • The U.S. Department of Education requires that we make available certain pieces of information about the University. One such item is the plan for improving our academic programs.  Read our Provost’s message here.
  • The U.S. Department of Education requires each school to report information regarding programs that prepare students to become teachers.  Our report can be viewed online. Similarly, the state of New Jersey is required to submit school and state-level information to the U.S. Department of Education.  View the state’s Title II report.

Study Abroad

Academic Policies


Academic Outcomes

Alumni Success

Cost of Attending Monmouth University



Financial Aid

Student Life

General University Policies


Monmouth University is accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education, 3624 Market Street, Philadelphia, PA 19104. (Telephone: 267-284-5000).

The Middle States Commission on Higher Education is an institutional accrediting agency recognized by the U.S. Secretary of Education and the Council for Higher Education Accreditation.

In addition:

  • The Leon Hess Business School is accredited by the AACSB—the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business.
  • The chemistry program (with a concentration in advanced chemistry) is on the Approved List of the American Chemical Society (ACS).
  • The undergraduate software engineering program is accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission of ABET,, and the undergraduate computer science program with a concentration in advanced computing is accredited by the Computing Accreditation Commission of ABET,
  • The baccalaureate degree program in nursing/master’s degree program in nursing/Doctor of Nursing Practice program and post-graduate APRN certificate programs at Monmouth University are accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (
  • The undergraduate BSW and graduate MSW social work programs are accredited by the Council on Social Work Education (CSWE).
  • The School of Education is accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE).
  • The graduate programs in School Counseling (MSEd) and Mental Health Counseling (MS) are accredited by the Council for Accreditation of Counseling and Related Educational Programs (CACREP).
  • The Master’s program in Speech-Language Pathology at Monmouth University is a candidate for Accreditation by the Council on Academic Accreditation in Audiology and Speech-Language Pathology (CAA) of the American Speech-Language Hearing Association. This is a “pre-accreditation” status with the CAA, awarded to developing or emerging programs for a maximum period of five years.
  • The certificate in Applied Behavior Analysis is approved by the Behavior Analyst Certification Board as meeting the coursework requirements for eligibility to take the Board Certified Behavior Analyst examination.

Student Diversity

The federal government requires that we make available information about the diversity of the student body at Monmouth University. That information is presented below and is based on Fall 2018 enrollment data and represents cumulative totals of full-time undergraduate and graduate students; there were 4,448 full-time undergraduate students and 658 full-time graduate students.

Full-Time UndergraduateGraduateTotalPercent of Population
Males1,880 160 2,04040%
Females2,568 498 3,066 60%
Members of Racially or Ethnically Diverse Groups*1,075113 1,188 25%
Full-Time Pell Grant Recipients Fall 20181,420 n/a 1,420 32%
*International students and students with unknown ethnic information are excluded from diversity calculation.

Students Convicted of Possession or Sale of Drugs

Convictions only count against a student for aid eligibility purposes (FAFSA question 23c) if they are for an offense that occurred during a period of enrollment for which the student was receiving Federal Student Aid; they do not count if the offense was not during such a period, unless the student was denied federal benefits for drug trafficking by a federal or state judge (see drug abuse hold sidebar, next page). Also, a conviction that was reversed, set aside, or removed from the student’s record does not count, nor does one received when she was a juvenile, unless she was tried as an adult.

The chart below illustrates the period of ineligibility for FSA funds, depending on whether the conviction was for sale or possession and whether the student had previous offenses. (A conviction for sale of drugs includes convictions for conspiring to sell drugs.)

Possession of Illegal DrugsSale of Illegal Drugs
1st offense 1 year from date of conviction2 years from date of conviction
2 years from date
of conviction
Indefinite period
3+ offenses Indefinite period

If a student has convictions for multiple offenses and the periods of ineligibility are different, they will remain ineligible for the longer period. Schools must provide each student who becomes ineligible for FSA funds due to a drug conviction a clear and conspicuous written notice of his loss of eligibility and the methods whereby he can become eligible again.

A student regains eligibility the day after the period of ineligibility ends or when he successfully completes a qualified drug rehabilitation program or passes two unannounced drug tests given by such a program. Further drug convictions will make him ineligible again.

Students denied eligibility for an indefinite period can regain it after successfully completing a rehabilitation program (as described below), passing two unannounced drug tests from such a program, or if a conviction is reversed, set aside, or removed from the student’s record so that fewer than two convictions for sale or three convictions for possession remain on the record. In such cases, the nature and dates of the remaining convictions will determine when the student regains eligibility. It is the student’s responsibility to certify to you that she has successfully completed the rehabilitation program; as with the conviction question on the FAFSA, you are not required to confirm the reported information unless you have conflicting information.

When a student regains eligibility during the award year, you may award Pell grant, TEACH, and Campus-based aid for the current payment period and Direct loans for the period of enrollment.

Standards for a qualified drug rehabilitation program

A qualified drug rehabilitation program must include at least two unan­nounced drug tests and satisfy at least one of the following requirements:

  • Be qualified to receive funds directly or indirectly from a federal, state, or local government program.
  • Be qualified to receive payment directly or indirectly from a federally- or state-licensed insurance company.
  • Be administered or recognized by a federal, state, or local government agency or court.
  • Be administered or recognized by a federally- or state-licensed hospi­tal, health clinic, or medical doctor.

If you are counseling a student who will need to enter such a program, be sure to advise the student of these requirements. If a student certifies that he has successfully completed a drug rehabilitation program, but you have reason to believe that the program does not meet the requirements, you must find out if it does before paying the student any FSA funds.