Monmouth University is accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education (MSCHE). This accreditation indicates that the University as a whole has met the following criteria (from the Characteristics of Excellence in Higher Education (2006, p. iv):
- Has a mission appropriate to higher education
- Is guided by well-defined and appropriate goals, including goals for student learning
- Has established conditions and procedures under which its mission and goals can be realized
- Assesses both institutional effectiveness and student learning outcomes, and uses the results for improvement
- Is accomplishing its mission and goals substantially
- Is organized, staffed, and supported so that it can be expected to continue to accomplish its mission and goals
- Meets the requirements of affiliation and accreditation standards of the MSCHE.
Monmouth University will be evaluated in Spring 2016 as part of the MSCHE decennial reaffirmation of accreditation process. This review process involves the University carefully examining itself to ensure that it meets, if not exceeds MSCHE’s Characteristics of Excellence in Higher Education. Monmouth began preparation for this evaluation in Fall 2013 with 4 primary objectives:
- To assess institutional growth and progress since the last Institutional Self-Study in 2006 and the Periodic Review Report in 2011 as Monmouth achieves reaffirmation of MSCHE reaccreditation.
- To further institutional self-understanding of the nature and role of Monmouth within the landscape of higher education as Monmouth embarks on a new, aspirational strategic plan.
- To critically examine Monmouth’s programmatic and curricular offerings, services, and operations which support fulfillment of Monmouth’s mission.
- Identify opportunities for Monmouth to become exemplars of the Characteristics of Excellence in Higher Education established by the MSCHE.
Information about Monmouth University’s 2016 Decennial Self-Study Review
- Members of the Self-Study Steering Committee and Working Groups
- Self-Study Review Timeline
- 2016 Decennial Self-Study Design