Close Close

Psychological Emergencies and Crises

In the event of a psychological/psychiatric emergency or mental health crisis that could affect your safety and well-being or that of another student, please note the following contact information:

During Regular Office Hours:

  • Counseling and Psychological Services in the Rebecca Stafford Student Center,
    Third Floor, at 732-571-7517 or University Police at 732-571-4444.

After Hours:

  • If you are a student in residence, call the University Police at 732-571-4444. They will contact the Director of Counseling and Psychological Services. You should also contact the Residence Life Administrator on duty or your RA immediately.
  • If you are a commuter student in a psychological or mental crisis, please refer to the 24-hour hotlines listed below, or call 911 or your local hospital.

Due to concerns about safety and well-being, students may require emergency assessment through Monmouth Medical Center’s Psychiatric Emergency Screening Services (PESS). The Director of Counseling and Psychological Services maintains contact with the hospital throughout this process. If necessary and appropriate, the University will notify the student’s family.

Please note that in the event of a mental health crisis requiring emergency assessment and transport to the hospital, both resident and commuter students will need to demonstrate compliance with the hospital’s treatment recommendations prior to their return to school and/or housing.

For further information, see the section referring to mental health crises in the
Confidentiality, Disclosure, and Informed Consent form.

Hotline Numbers:

Monmouth University Police:  732-571-4444
Monmouth Medical – Emergency Screening Services:  732-571-6999
Substance Abuse Services:  732-571-6529
180 Turning Lives Around:  732-264-4111

Psychological/Psychiatric Disabilities

Inquiries regarding services for psychological or psychiatric disabilities may be directed to the Department of Counseling and Psychological Services at 732-571-7517 for general information. Counseling services or referral to community resources can be discussed with a psychological counselor. Requests for academic accommodations, however, will be directed to the Department of Disability Services for Students at 732-571-3460.