Close Close

Information for Family and Friends of Monmouth Students

Monmouth University’s integrative team of health professionals provides holistic care for student well-being that recognizes the interconnected facets of body and mind while celebrating the student’s unique lived experiences.

The University’s approach to Health and Wellness offers various services to address the complex and interrelated aspects of staying well as a Hawk.  Campus services include medical care, mental health counseling, psychiatry, drug and alcohol counseling, support for students in recovery, nutritional consultation, preventive screenings, and educational programming.  As a family member or friend of a Monmouth student, you can encourage them to engage in help-seeking behavior if you notice them struggling.

How will I know if my student is struggling?

Often there are physical or behavioral cues that indicate a student is experiencing some level of distress. Some common indicators include:

  • Marked decline in personal hygiene
  • Dramatic change in weight
  • Significant shift in eating habits
  • Changes in sleeping patterns
  • Bizarre behavior or speech
  • Out-of-character remarks or communication

How do I communicate my concerns to them?

Addressing the observable behavior by communicating your care for the student and their well-being is often a great way to begin a conversation to support a student to find relief. It is often helpful to identify your concern to the student and encourage them to seek support from a professional that specializes in the area of distress. Students often find it beneficial to connect with a staff member from Counseling and Prevention Services [CPS], Health Services, Center for Student Success, Sports Medicine, Gourmet Dining, or the Office of Equity & Diversity.

If they disclose thief threatening behavior or threats, call MUPD immediately at 732.571.4444

Who will communicate with me?

The staff of CPS is happy to receive information from family and friends about the student, but CPS staff are bound by confidentiality. As such, the CPS team will likely not be able to discuss specific situations pertaining to the student. However, the counselor can provide an overview of services available on campus and answer general questions common to the college life experience. In addition, in life-threatening circumstances or situations that are required by law, the staff can break confidentiality and collaborate with the student to connect them with campus and local emergency services.

What if the student refuses your referral?

Except in emergencies, the decision to accept a referral rests with the student. If the student declines your recommendation to connect with support and there is NO imminent and direct threat to safety, communicate your concerns to CPS at 732-571-7517 so the team can be best prepared for if, and hopefully when, the student connects with the office. If there is an immediate and direct threat to safety, contact MUPD at 732-571-4444, which is available 24 hours a day.