Close Close

Housing Accommodation Request

Intent: To outline the process of determining if a student is eligible to have an accommodation in University housing. Also notifying Residential Life if a student is eligible for University housing.

Accountability: The Department of Disability Services, the ADA/504 Coordinator and students who have selected to self-identify as a person with disability requesting disability related accommodations and support services.

Applicability: Students enrolled at Monmouth University who live in University housing.


Students requesting an accommodation in Housing must complete the following steps:

  1. Complete the Residential Life Housing Contract.
  2. Complete the Confidential Registration form.
    • If you are currently registered with Disability Services, submit a Supplemental Request in your Accommodate file.
  3. Complete the student part of the DDS Request for Student Housing Accommodations Sections A&B.
  4. Provide appropriate documentation by submitting a completed Disability Provider Information Form- Housing Documentation. This form must be completed by a licensed professional.

In lieu of the Disability Provider Information Form- Housing documentation form, students can submit a letter written by their treating licensed professional on letterhead stationary. Letter must include:

  • Nature of disability with formal diagnosis.
  • A description including the type, severity, and frequency of symptoms currently experienced by the student and how the condition substantially limits with one or more major life activity.
  • Suggestions of reasonable housing accommodations. Each recommendation must be supported by the diagnosis. Please discuss the rationale for each suggested accommodation relating it to a specific functional limitation.
  • Alternatives to meet the documented need if the first request cannot be met.
  1. Meet with the DDS Disability Specialist either virtually or in person to discuss the request.
  2. Please note that Residential Life administrators assign rooms for students at MU.  In the case of a student with a disability, this is done based on DDS recommendation, and dependent on availability of rooms.
  3. Late requests will be considered, but at no time is a housing assignment guaranteed.

Signature Form for Request Process & Procedure, DDS Request for Student Housing Sections A&B, Monmouth University Provider Form-Housing and your clinician’s detailed rationale can be scanned and emailed to  

In addition to the Department of Disability Services, your request may also be reviewed by the Office of Residential Life and the Office of the General Counsel.  You will be contacted should it be determined that additional information/documentation needs to be submitted. 

If the student does not agree with the determination made by DDS, the student has the option to file an appeal with the ADA/504 Coordinator.

Student Center

Disability Services for Students