Close Close
Zoë Klapman

iOS Engineering Internship – Zoë Klapman

(Excerpted from An Internship in the Bag: Engineering a New FieldView Feature)

This month marks the completion for summer internships around the United States. For me, as we speak, I’m gearing up for my final year at Monmouth University as I finish my Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science (and continue playing as much tennis as I can).

Summers tend to fly by, whether you’re spending the time on self-care or project deliverables. I couldn’t be happier than to have spent my summer on the latter, focusing on a Climate FieldView™ feature project that will deliver a ton of value to farmers around the world by streamlining a small, but critical, part of the planting process….

Most of what we talk about within Climate related to the value that FieldView™ and digital farming can provide is related to BIG data that comes from fields. When, how, and what was planted? When did you apply an input, and how much, and when and how much did you harvest?

These are important considerations, and it’s our job as computer scientists, engineers, and data scientists to dive deeper and find ways to answer pain points that our customers might not even know they have yet. Something that works okay as is, but if changed could drastically improve experiences across the board….

Over the course of the summer, I’ve gone from being a junior undergrad Computer Science major to quickly learning and utilizing complex iOS skills in an agile work environment.

The practical experience I’ve gained has been immense, flexing critical skills in navigating larger-scale projects in a test-driven development environment, strengthening my source control abilities, and having been exposed to really complex iOS skills like implementing Apple Vision, Decorator pattern, and multithreading, to name a few.

Who knew that enabling farmers to scan a barcode with a picture could do so much?