About the Program
The Bachelor of Arts in Art with a Concentration in Studio Art at Monmouth University is designed to teach liberal arts students to express themselves in the plastic arts through visual media and to think and act creatively. Our painting, drawing, sculpture, ceramic, and printmaking studios allow personal one-on-one instruction in the skills of art-making. Small class sizes and dedicated faculty assure ample opportunity to explore and thrive.
The study of art encompasses a variety of media to express human thoughts, interests, attitudes, emotions, and ideas. In addition to the studio experience, you will explore art history and theory and take courses in humanities and other areas. This degree prepares you to plan, organize, manage, and analyze; use fact, logic, and persuasion; and discover alternative possibilities by collecting and interpreting data. While specific skills developed by artists depend to some degree on their creative interests, many are transferable to a variety of sectors and jobs. These job skills are:
- Working with and knowing the qualities and limitations of given media.
- Attaining a high level of craftsmanship and manual dexterity
- Working independently
- Communicating visually
- Evaluating and explaining works of art or other information
- Collaborating with others
- Appropriately presenting and displaying work
- Relating abstract ideas and visual forms
- Thinking creatively
- Visualizing relationships between information sets
- Taking multiple approaches to problems
- Utilizing available resources
- Working under pressure and meeting deadlines
- Adapting techniques
- Information Management, the ability to sort and interpret data
- Basic Design and Composition
- Basic Design and Color
- Drawing I
- Sculpture I
- Painting I
Students will learn technical, communication, artistic, and problem-solving skills that are transferable to a variety of sectors and jobs.
Undergraduate Research & Internships
Produce tangible artistic projects in both traditional and digital media using our on-site labs and studios. Expand your portfolio with hands-on courses and real-world internship experience, and display your creative works in our DiMattio and Ice House Galleries.
Corey Dzenko, Ph.D.
Departmental Advising Coordinator