• Seeking Legal Advice

    There comes a point in everyone's life when you will need the assistance of a lawyer.

    As a student who is living off-campus in a seasonal or year-round rental, the need for a lawyer may become a necessity should you encounter a dispute with your landlord or roommate(s). Furthermore, off-campus students will on occasion run into legal difficulties that require the need for a lawyer.

    Every year, Monmouth students who are living off-campus encounter legal issues that could include:

    • Eviction notices
    • Summonses or arrests
    • Roommate disputes
    • Landlord/tenant disputes
    • Disputes over security deposits or rent

    Where should you turn if you have a legal questions?

    The New Jersey Courts sponsor an informative landlord/tenant FAQ page, which is a good place to begin your search if you have questions. Another consideration when selecting an attorney is any personal referral that you can gather from friends or family members who may have had to address a similar issue. While the internet is a great place to do some research, if you have a family friend or relative who is a lawyer, you may want to seek their advice. The person may not be able to represent you, but he or she may be able to point you in the right direction when it comes to finding an attorney who can address your specific legal issue.

    What is small claims court?

    The Small Claims Section is a court in which you may sue someone (the defendant) to collect a small amount of money that you believe is owed to you. Because procedures in Small Claims are simpler than in other courts, persons usually can file and present their cases relatively quickly and inexpensively, and often without an attorney. This segment explains how to file a complaint, a counterclaim, or an appeal, and gives general information about Small Claims in New Jersey.

    Tenants can take a dispute to small claims court, which may not require the need for legal representation. Small claims court is designed to address monetary claims of no more than $5,000.

    Is it possible to represent yourself in court?

    The short answer is yes. However, you will be placing a great deal of responsibility on yourself, and it's something you should thoroughly consider before making that kind of decision.

    Does Monmouth University offer legal advice to students?

    Students may contact the Center for Student Success, located on the lower level of the Student Center at 732-571-3487 to schedule a brief appointment with a lawyer who will provide students with legal counseling.