Skip to main content

Off-Campus and Commuter Services

Renter’s Insurance

The Office of Off-Campus and Commuter Services recommends that whenever you move off-campus to rent a room, apartment, or house that you take out a renter’s insurance policy.

Renter’s insurance does two things for tenants: it protects your personal belongings from theft and damage and it provides you with liability coverage in the event someone is injured either in your rental or on the property where you rental is located.

Students who already own a car are probably familiar with the insurance they need to have for their vehicle. When shopping for a policy you may want to contact the company that insures your car to see if they also offer rental insurance. Students can also contact a variety of insurance providers to get quotes and comparison shop for the policy that best fits their needs.

Rental insurance policies may vary from one company to another, so it makes sense that students shop around to find the policy that best fits their interests. Listed below are a sampling, in no particular order, of insurance providers that offer renter’s insurance and could provide you with a quote.