Monmouth University offers a wide range of advertising options for your student organization. Many advertising methods are free and all are low cost.
Flyers: Any and all flyers need to be approved in order to be hung on the academic side (please see the residence hall position policy for the residence side). Flyers must be brought to the Office of Student Activities to be approved and stamped. Any and all flyers that are not approved will be removed and the organization may face consequences.
The Outlook Newspaper: The Outlook will continue to publish a Club and Greek page this year, announcing the news or upcoming events of any and all student activities. Ideas and/or club business can be placed in the suggestion boxes, which will be placed on the first and third floors of the student center, or through the Event Coverage page on our website at outlook.monmouth.edu. Call 732-571-3481 for more information.
WMCX Radio 88.9 FM: Any advertising submitted by a Monmouth University organization will be aired FREE as long as your promotional ideas are approved and submitted one week prior to airtime. For more information, call (732)571-3482.
Electronic Message Board (Larchwood Avenue, Norwood Avenue, & North Campus locations): Available free of charge. Complete an Electronic Sign Board form available in the Office of Student Activities and Student Center Operations. The form must be completed one week prior to the date you wish the message to appear. All requests must be in writing on the appropriate form; no phone requests will be taken. Messages should be as brief and concise as possible. For more information, contact 732-571-3586.
Hawk TV: Contact the Hawk TV office at 732-263-5274 for information on how your club or organization can get advertised on Hawk TV.
TV Message Boards: Contact the Media Center at 732-571-4421 for information on getting your message on the TV monitors around campus.
Calendar of Events: The Office of Student Activities puts out a bi-monthly calendar of events that are open to the student body. If you would like your event on the calendar please contact the Office of Student Activities at 732-571-3586.
- Rebecca Stafford Student Center— The Rebecca Stafford Student Center has two vendor tables on the first floor that may be utilized. These must be reserved in advance through the Office of Student Activities and Student Center Operations at 732-571-3586. If space is not available, the club may request a table on the outdoor patio. Outdoor tables may be available, weather permitting, however there is no rain location.
- Plangere – The Plangere Academic building has one vendor tables on the first floor that may be utilized. This must be reserved in advance through the Office of Student Activities and Student Center Operations at 732-571-3586.
Weekly Activities E-mail: If you would like your event or club meeting time included in the weekly activities e-mail, please submit your event and/or meeting information to email@example.com at least two weeks prior to your event. Additionally, if you would like a special flyer included for large events please include as a JPEG attachment.
Student Center TVs: If you would like your event information included on the Student Center TV’s (located in the café and hallway), please submit your event flyer as a JPEG to firstname.lastname@example.org (flyer should include: name, time, location, sponsor, along with any other information). The TV is only updated on Mondays and Thursdays.
Social Media Sites: Clubs and organizations are encouraged to utilize social media venues (platforms) such as Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and Snapchat. If your club decides to create your own club account, please refer to the Social Media Accounts handbook information before moving forward.
Student Center Windows: A single panel on the Student Center windows facing the patio is available for club “major event” advertising. A representative from the organization should contact the Office of Student Activities gain approval and book a window panel. The event can only be posted a week prior to the event and the window must be cleaned by the organization within 24 hours following the event or future privileges will be suspended. Please make sure to use appropriate materials for both application and removal. Refer to the Office of Student Activities for suggestions of these materials.
The Monmouth University Rebecca Stafford Student Center is considered the “Living Room” of the campus. It is used by and for the Monmouth University community to host lectures, workshops, meetings, and events. It is also a place where people gather to eat, socialize, study, and relax. The Rebecca Stafford Student Center maintains this balance by presenting an environment that is friendly and inviting, one that celebrates the University’s diversity of culture and ideas through positive expressions. Since the Rebecca Stafford Student Center is one of the main “resource” locations on campus, it is important that any advertisements posted in the Student Center meet certain guidelines.
The following regulations detail the Student Center’s policies for posting advertisements in the building.
- All advertisements must be approved and posted by the Office of Student Activities and Student Center Operations. (Monday – Friday 8:45 AM – 5 PM) Any items not stamped or hung by the Student Center staff will be removed immediately.
- Materials posted cannot exceed 11 inches x 17 inches.
- All advertisements posted in the Student Center will be posted by Student Center staff. Advertisements dropped off at the Office of Student Activities and Student Center Operations will be posted in the Student Center within 24 hours. Also, the Student Center staff will be responsible for removing all advertisements.
- Advertisements can hang for up to 2 weeks or until the occurrence of the event, whichever is first.
- There will be separate bulletin boards for different categories of advertisements including:
- (4) Student club/organization or campus-sponsored events and meetings
- (2) Housing issues (i.e. roommate wanted, room for rent, etc.)
- (1) Items for sale or wanted/Help Wanted/Needed
- (1) Off-Campus events
- (1) Miscellaneous ads (i.e. LSAT, GMAT, educational trips, etc.)<.li>
These are the only approved posting bulletin boards in the Student Center
- Posting is NOT permitted on the exterior of the Rebecca Stafford Student Center or on or around the glass exterior Student Center doors, unless pre-approved by the Office of Student Activities and Student Center Operations.
- There will be no posting of alcohol-related events, obscenities, slanderous material, or material containing racist or sexist statements. This would include, but not be limited, to advertisements which show/promote nudity, violence, racism, sexism, etc.
- There will be no posting of notices or flyers that support or endorse candidates for political office.
- Use of any bulletin board or authorized advertising space in the Rebecca Stafford Student Center does not constitute an endorsement or guarantee of any product, service, or information by the Student Center or Monmouth University.
All flyers and posters must be brought to the Office of Residential Life, located in Pinewood Hall to be approved and hung in the residence halls. Those flyers will receive a stamp from the Residential Life office and be hung by the RA Staff. Even if a flyer has been approved and stamped by Student Life, it must still be stamped by the Residential Life office for posting in the residence halls. Please do not post flyers on your own in the residence halls.
Posting of Advertisements
In an effort to disseminate information to resident students in a consistent and easy to find format, the following policy related to posting materials in the residence halls was developed. The Posting Policy is designed to improve the aesthetics of our residence halls and decrease the damage to our facilities from improper posting. Your assistance and that of your department or student club/organization is greatly appreciated, and we look forward to everyone working together to maintain a beautiful campus environment. These procedures also reduce the fire hazards associated with flyers and signs that often clutter residence halls. This policy applies to all recognized student groups and all departments at Monmouth University.
Materials from businesses and other community enterprises are prohibited from being in the residence halls and may only be posted in the Rebecca Stafford Student Center.
- Public areas (lobbies, hallways, main or corridor entrances, etc.)
- All materials will be approved by the Office of Residential Life and stamped accordingly. There should be 36 flyers (one per posting area) or 12 flyers (one per building) provided to the Office of Residential Life. Extra flyers will be recycled.
- All materials will be hung by Residential Life staff members in designated areas. Posters should be no larger than 8 ½ x 17 in size.
- Any materials that promote the use of alcohol or other drugs or that discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, ancestry, national origin, nationality, sex (including pregnancy and sexual harassment), affectional or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, atypical hereditary cellular or blood trait, genetic information, marital status, domestic partnership or civil union status, age, liability for military service, protected veteran status, or status as an individual with a mental or physical disability, including AIDS and HIV-related illnesses or any other protected category under applicable local, state or federal law are strictly prohibited.
- Materials shall not be affixed to entrance/exit doors except for two 8 ½ x 11 objects and a memo/dry erase board.
- Approval from other offices does not supersede or take place of approval from Residential Life.
- Sliding flyers under doors or the mailbox distribution of pamphlets, leaflets or flyers is not permitted.
- Flyers/posters should be brought to the office no more than 10 days and no less than 3 days prior to the event.
- Materials may not be hung out of windows.
- Any material visible to the public may not be inconsistent with established community standards or Monmouth University and the Office of Residential Life.
- All postings and flyers must be in compliance with the University Policy on solicitation.
- Any material not posted by a Residential Life staff member will be promptly removed and discarded.
- Posters/advertisements for events occurring on multiple dates or over the course of the semester, will be removed at the end of each semester.