A Practical, Versatile Program on the New Jersey Coast
Healthcare is expanding beyond the treatment of diseases and injuries by physicians, to a more integrative approach encompassing multiple professions and focused on improving the lives and lifestyles of individuals and communities. Monmouth University’s health studies and health and physical education programs give students a versatile education with hands-on experience and career preparation. Adjacent to the Atlantic Ocean and the active, health-conscious metropolitan areas of New York and Philadelphia, Monmouth provides an ideal location to study individual and community health and fitness.
“To empower students to enhance quality of life and society and to pursue careers or further study in health, exercise science and physical education.”
The level of health that individuals achieve is influenced by the choices they make, which also affects their ability to develop to their full potential. It is this dynamic that sits at the core of Monmouth’s health programs.
Students can major in:
- Health Studies (tracks in Health Science or Exercise Science)
- Health and Physical Education* (tracks in Fitness and Wellness or Public Health) *Becoming Health Promotion in 2019
- Health/Physical Education/Education (K–12 endorsement)
A minor in health studies is open to students from a variety of majors who wish to enhance their knowledge about health and health-related issues for personal development, or to complement their major area of study.
Benefit Yourself and Others
Monmouth University’s health programs provide an interdisciplinary approach to information about health. These majors are designed to:
- increase knowledge about health and health-related topics in a variety of health disciplines
- enable students to communicate and learn how lifestyle choices may relate to the cause or prevention of disease
- expand interdisciplinary and comprehensive understanding of health issues
- increase understanding of the link between new research in health science and the development of healthcare strategies and policies
- hone the analytical skills needed to evaluate issues and policies
- facilitate student internships in health-related agencies and corporations
Careers in Health & Physical Education
Monmouth health program graduates will be prepared to serve as leaders in fields that integrate health, wellness, and education; working with individuals, groups, and families in healthcare organizations and services, corporate health programs, education and at the local, state, federal or international level.
Career paths include working in healthcare agencies, managing sports or wellness centers, working in community health departments, teaching, and working in global nonprofit agencies or other public and private healthcare sectors.
Students can further their education by pursuing graduate degrees in areas such as medicine, dentistry, physical therapy, health and physical education, healthcare administration, public health and many others. Students intending to pursue careers as physicians or other healthcare professionals are encourage to explore the mentorship of the Pre-Health Advisory Committee (PHAC)