Close Close

SLP Speech-Language Pathology Graduate Program – FAQ

SLP Program FAQ

Where are you located?

Monmouth University Graduate Center
Monmouth Park Corporate Center
185 State Highway 36
West Long Branch, NJ 07764
Building C

How many credits is the graduate program?

60 credits

What prerequisite courses do I need to apply?

Students who will have earned a bachelor’s degree (with specific prerequisite courses, see below) from an accredited institution by June 15 of the admission year may apply for admission. Before full admittance to the program, proof of an earned bachelor’s degree is required. At the time of application, the student must demonstrate an earned minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale from all courses at all institutions attended; A minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 in all Speech-Language Pathology prerequisite courses (does not include non-SLP prerequisites, e.g., statistics); and competitive applicants typically have GPA’s of 3.3 or better. The GPA requirement must be maintained through all coursework completed after the time of application to the program as well.

Required prerequisite courses include:

  • SLP-201-01 Introduction to Communication Sciences and Disorders
  • SLP-202-01 Introduction to Language Development
  • SLP-301-01 Introduction to Phonetics
  • SLP-302-01 Anatomy and Physiology of Speech and Hearing
  • SLP-401-01 Speech and Hearing Science
  • SLP-402-01 Introduction to Audiology

As required by Standard IV-A of the American Speech-Language Hearing Association, students must also earn a “C” or better in courses within the following content areas prior to admission to the program:

  • A stand-alone course in Statistics (Applied statistics is acceptable. May not be from speech-language pathology or audiology department.)
  • Physics or Chemistry (Courses without a clear focus on Chemistry or Physics are not acceptable. May not be from speech-language pathology or audiology department.)
  • Biological Sciences (biology, anatomy, physiology, ecology, genetics, or nutrition. Plant biology is not acceptable.)
  • Behavioral/Social Sciences (psychology, sociology, or anthropology)

It is required that students complete these courses prior to June 15 and their enrollment in the graduate program. The student must earn a “C” or better in this prerequisite coursework. For more information about this coursework visit

Do I need to have completed all the prerequisite coursework and have earned my bachelor’s degree before applying to the program?

No, you are expected to have earned your bachelor’s degree and completed all courseswork by June 15 of the application year. All GPA requirements must be maintained throughout all coursework completed after admission to the program. Students accepted for admission to the program who have not completed all required prerequisites will be informed of which courses must be complete prior to June 15 of the admission year. No student may begin the program without having completed all prerequistes before June 15 of the application year.

Do I need to take the Graduate Record Exam (GRE) to apply?

No, you do not need to take the GRE to apply to the M.S.Ed. in Speech-Language Pathology program.

What is the application deadline?

Admission is granted one time per year. Full-time students will be accepted for summer admission and will begin a strict sequence of study in the summer. The admission deadline for each Summer the preceding 1st of February each year. Applications must be submitted on CSDCAS by February 1 each year.

How long does it take to complete the program?

The program is a 6-semester program that begins in summer (July). Completion requires Summer I, Fall I, Spring I, Summer II, Fall II, and Spring II.

Do you offer a part time program?

No, the program follows a full time cohort model.

When does the program start?

Each summer a new cohort is admitted. Courses typically begin in early July.

Is your graduate program accredited?

The Master of Science in Education (M.S.Ed.) education program in speech-language pathology (residential) at Monmouth University is accredited by the Council on Academic Accreditation in Audiology and Speech-Language Pathology of the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association, 2200 Research Boulevard, #310, Rockville, MD 20850, 800-498-2071 or 301-296-5700.

When did you graduate your first cohort?

May of 2016

What is your Praxis Pass rate?


How many full time faculty members are in the program?

We currently have five Ph.D. faculty members as well as a Director of the Center for Speech and Language Disorders.

Do you have an onsite clinic?

Yes, The Center for Speech and Language Disorders is located in the Graduate Center. Students receive hands-on clinical training as they serve community members who have communication disorders. Students are under the supervision of licensed clinicians who are certified by the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association.

What type of externships are offered?

We offer a variety of externship opportunities in public school districts, specialized schools, acute care and long term care facilities as well as rehabilitation centers.