Close Close

Frequently Asked Questions

Who is an “individual with a disability?”

A person with a disability is one who has a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits a major life activity, has a record or history of such impairment, or is regarded as having such an impairment. (See “The Laws“)

Top of Page

Is there a different application process for admission of students with disabilities?

Prospective students must meet all criteria for admission as established by the Office of Undergraduate or Graduate Admission. It is illegal for the admission office to ask about disability status. Students with a documented disability are advised to contact the Department of Disability Services for Students.

Top of Page

What documentation is needed from a student?

Please see the Documentation Guidelines.

Top of Page

What accommodations are provided for students?

Reasonable accommodations that support a student’s potential to meet with academic success and do not fundamentally alter a course or a degree requirement will be provided to students who disclose to professors.  Academic accommodations are determined on a case-by-case basis, substantiated by submitted documentation.

Top of Page

Is tutoring provided specifically for students with disabilities?

Monmouth University offers Academic Support to all students in the following areas:

It is the student’s responsibility to contact the tutoring services that will best meet their needs.

Top of Page

Are there specialized courses for students with disabilities?

Monmouth University offers ED-101: Transition to College. It is a one-credit elective course geared toward incoming first year student with disabilities. The course assists students in transitioning from High School to Higher Education. Students will learn how to utilize services at DDS, navigate the campus and become their own advocate.