Close Close

Reverse Transfer

Students who transfer to Monmouth University from a New Jersey community college now have the opportunity to complete their associate degree through credits earned at Monmouth. Students can “reverse transfer” credits taken as part of their bachelor’s degree back to their former community college by meeting the criteria below outlined in The Statewide Reverse Transfer Agreement.


In order to participate in the reverse transfer process:

A. Students must have met the residency requirement and designated minimum grade point average at the community college prior to enrollment at the four-year institution.

B. Students must have applied and been admitted to the four-year institution.

C. Following enrollment at the four-year institution, students must have earned a cumulative total of 66 semester hours between the community college and the four-year institution.

D. Students must be current with financial obligations to both the four-year institution and the community college.

E. Students must have met all of the graduation requirements of the community college.

How it Works

Monmouth University students interested in earning an associate degree through their former New Jersey state community college should fill out the Reverse Transfer Request Form in the MyMU portal.

Students aiming to earn a reverse transfer degree from Brookdale Community College must also attach BCC’s Reverse Transfer Application/Transfer Request Form to Monmouth University’s Reverse Transfer Request Form.

Monmouth University will then send the student’s transcript information to their former community college.

The community college will evaluate the transcript and inform the student which requirements (if any) are still needed to complete the associate degree.

Please note that community colleges will determine if students satisfy requirements for the associate degree.


Please contact Transfer Services for more information on Reverse Transfer for currently enrolled students.