Close Close

Housing Information

Anonymous Tips

Any information pertaining to the alleged violations of the Student Code of Conduct or Residential Life Policies received either anonymously or from a specific source, will be handled on a case by case basis. The response to anonymous tips is limited due to ethical, privacy and legal issues. Therefore, it is imperative that all violations of the Student Code of Conduct or Residential Life Polices be submitted in writing to a member of the Monmouth University Police and/or Administration, specifically the Office of Residential Life or Student Life. Appropriate action will be taken after consultation with the Vice-President for Student Life and Leadership Engagement or their designee.

Bicycle Storage

Bicycles may not be stored in hallways, bathroom, stairwells, or in any path of egress. They may be stored in a room with the permission of all occupants. Any bicycle found in these non- designated locations will be removed immediately. There are bicycle racks located around the residence halls, dining hall, gymnasium and academic buildings that should be utilized to store bicycles. Bicycles must be taken home during the summer. Students who have a bicycle on-campus are encouraged to register them with the Office of Residential Life. Registration can be done via the Office of Residential Life website.

Break Housing

During Fall, Thanksgiving, Winter, and Spring Breaks, the residence halls are closed. All requests for housing during these periods will be considered on a case by case basis and must be made in writing via a Break Housing Request Form. The specific Housing Request Break form link will be contained in the break’s closing notice. Please contact your Area Coordinator or the Office of Residential Life for further information. The unauthorized return to a Residence Hall or university sponsored apartment at any time during a break could be considered a violation of Residential contract and could be subject to university disciplinary procedures. Students staying during the break period could be subject to an additional housing fee which will be applied to their student account. A supplemental housing contract must also be signed by students staying during any break period, including pre-season, winter break, fall break, spring break and Thanksgiving break. On-campus housing is closed for the following breaks: Fall Break, Thanksgiving Break, Winter Break, and Spring Break. Please note: Normal services are not offered during these times (e.g., meal plans, mail distribution, RA staffing, etc.). Students residing on campus during these periods may be charged an interim rate. Vacation and break housing for University owned housing will be stipulated in the specific facility’s supplemental contract. Scheduled vacation breaks include Fall Break, Thanksgiving, Winter Break, and Spring Break. During these periods, students are expected to vacate their rooms on the day before a vacation period begins (time to be determined by the Office of Residential Life). Students are cautioned that their Residence Hall Contract is valid during these periods and they must abide by all University rules and regulations. A student entering any residence hall building without permission during these periods is trespassing and will be treated accordingly.


Improperly stored food and trash will attract pests. Cleanliness by you and your neighbors is the most effective way to reduce any insect infestation. If you experience an issue, please contact facilities management.

Cable TV

Basic cable is provided to all resident students free of charge. Any specific questions concerning cable service can be directed to Residential Life at 732-571-3465 or

Changes of Housing Assignment

Room changes are permitted in the beginning of the Fall semester. Usually the student initiating the change will be required to move. All students involved in a room/hall change (even those remaining in the room) must meet with their current Area Coordinator to insure that the change is acceptable to each resident. Residents making unauthorized moves will be charged $50 and may forfeit their on-campus accommodations. Additionally, it is a resident’s responsibility to properly check in /out if a room change occurs. Failure to properly check out may result in administrative fines and students will be held liable for damages which occurred in their assigned room/suite/apartment.


Upon arrival, you will receive check-in information and your keys. You will also assess the condition of your room and its contents using a Room Condition Report (RCR) form. Your RA will review this form with you within 24 hours of your check-in and the completed RCR will be kept on file in the Office of Residential Life. Remember to be specific and precise about the condition of all furnishings, walls, etc. The cost of any damages beyond normal use, as noted by the Residential Life Staff, will be charged to your account after check-out procedures are completed.


Whether you are leaving the residence halls or changing rooms, you must properly follow all check-out procedures. The staff will assess damage and cleanliness using the Room Condition Report (RCR) form you completed earlier in the year, and will collect your keys. Your signature will verify the condition of the room. Please note: members of the professional staff from Residential Life and Facilities Management personally check each room in detail after you have completed check-out procedures and may assess additional charges at that time. Failure to follow checkout procedures will result in a $50.00 administrative fine and denial of rights to appeal damage charges, as appropriate. It is imperative that you turn in your keys when you move out at the end of the spring semester as Conference Services and Special Events and the housing of summer school residents occur in the buildings immediately after move out and any missing keys will be immediately billed to your student account.


Residents are expected to maintain basic sanitation standards in their rooms, bathrooms, and public areas. Trash must be disposed of properly and food items stored appropriately. Residents assigned to any university Apartment, Oakwood, and Redwood Halls are responsible for cleaning the bathroom and shower areas. In addition, all apartment residents are responsible for cleaning both the kitchen area and appliances. Room inspections will be conducted by the Residential Life staff to ensure compliance. Any violations will be subject to judicial action and billing for cleaning services.

Discipline Process

Please refer to the Student Handbook for a full explanation of the disciplinary process for Monmouth University students.


Elevators are provided in Maplewood, Mullaney, Hesse, Oakwood and Redwood halls. Proper operation of the elevator is imperative to the safety and convenience of all residents. Tampering with the elevator may lead to automatic loss of University housing. In addition, any student found vandalizing the elevator will be responsible for the cost of repairing the unit. If the elevator should malfunction while you are in it, DO NOT ATTEMPT TO EXIT THE ELEVATOR CAR. WAIT FOR ASSISTANCE.

Evacuation Procedure

What should I do in the event of a fire?

  • Close the door to the fire area
  • Activate the nearest fire alarm
  • Calmly but quickly exit the building
  • Remain at least 100 feet from the building
  • Pay close attention to information or requests made by the fire department, Monmouth University/City of Long Branch Police Department, or Residential Life staff

What should I do if I hear the fire alarm?

  • Feel your room door with the back of your hand from top to bottom.
  • If it is not hot, do the following
    • Put on a coat and shoes
    • Take a hat or comparable head protection in the winter
    • Take your keys
    • Close and lock your room door
    • Walk quietly and in single file to the nearest exit of the building
    • Remain at least 100 feet from the building
    • Pay close attention to instructions from the fire department, Monmouth University Police Department and Residential Life Staff
  • If your door is hot, do the following:
    • Go to the window, open it, and call for help. DO NOT JUMP
    • Stay near the window where you can be seen

What should I do if I have a disability?

  • Notify the Residential Life Staff immediately to inform them of the situation
  • If you are not on the ground floor, do not use the elevators. Plan in advance with your floor mates to help you down the stairs in the event of a fire
  • If it is not safe to leave your room because the fire is on your floor, you should go to the nearest window and call for help. Stay close to the window where you can be seen

What should I do if I am a sound sleeper or am hearing or visually impaired?

  • If you are a sound sleeper or have a medical condition that may hinder you from hearing the fire alarm, it is your responsibility to make arrangements with a floor or roommate to ensure that you evacuate the building when the alarm sounds. If you have a medical condition that hinders your ability to respond to the alarm, temporary or otherwise, it is your responsibility to visit the Health Services Center or the Office of Disability Support Services for advice and assistance regarding special accommodations.

Failure to evacuate the building when the fire alarm is activated endangers your life and the life of rescue workers. Anyone who fails to evacuate the building during a fire alarm will be fined $100.00 and may be subject to further disciplinary action.

What happens if I activate the fire alarm?

  • Tampering with fire safety equipment and/or causing/contributing to false fire alarms will not be tolerated. Anyone found responsible for these violations will be subject to dismissal from the University and will be held liable under New Jersey State Law.

In addition, each resident is responsible for being familiar with the location of exits, fire extinguishers, and alarm pull stations. On the back of each residence hall room, there is a floor plan indicating the nearest emergency exit. Residential Life staff will be happy to provide additional information or assistance in this area.

Fire Suppression Systems

(Commonly known as “sprinklers”) All residence halls and university owned apartments are equipped with this type of system. Any student found tampering with the system will be immediately suspended from housing and faces suspension/expulsion from the University.


All lounge, hall, suite, and public area furniture and University owned equipment is for the use of all residents and must remain in its designated area. This furniture/equipment may not be used or stored in student rooms. If these items are found in a student room, a $10.00 per day per item fine will be assessed to the room occupants for each day the furniture is missing from the designated area. Judicial action may also be taken. As per New Jersey legislation, a bill was adopted that directs the Commissioner of Community Affairs, in consultation with the fire safety commission, to promulgate regulations to require that the furniture and furnishings which are for use in residential premises or public buildings meet specific combustibility requirements. Therefore, students are prohibited from placing any and all personal furniture in residential facilities. Students may not make any changes or alterations to their assigned rooms; remove or dismantle any piece of furniture or equipment; or place, affix, or attach any articles to the floors, walls, ceilings, furniture, or fixtures not in accordance with the established regulations and guidelines of the University and/or New Jersey State Fire and Safety Statutes. This includes shelving, waterbeds, bars, paneling, netting and tapestries on walls and ceilings, electrical fixtures, cinder blocks, bricks, nailing or stacking furniture together or to walls, etc. At no time may University or personal furniture be placed outside any hall/apartment.

Holiday Decorations

Holiday Decorations may only be displayed during the appropriate Holiday season – as determined by the Office of Residential Life. In order to minimize the potential fire hazards associated with some holiday seasons, the following decoration guidelines should be followed for the protection of those students living in the residence halls and apartments:

  • Students are allowed to have artificial trees in their rooms or apartments. Strings of electric miniature lights are permitted on artificial trees except those that are metallic.
  • All electrical decorations should bear the UL label and should only be used as rated for indoor applications. All cords and lighting strings should be checked for fraying, bare wires, loose connections, and cracked plugs.
  • Cut or live trees or wreathes are not allowed in student rooms, common areas, or apartments.
  • Lighted candles or any other sources of open flame are not allowed for any decorations or ceremonies.
  • Doors shall not be gift-wrapped. Excessive decorations or decorations made of highly flammable materials (crepe paper, leaves) are not permitted.
  • Decorations or decorative lights will not be attached to, suspended from heat pipes, electrical systems, or ceiling and Fire Safety Equipment.
  • Power strips cannot be plugged into power strips.


Generally, residents are responsible for their room, suite, or apartment areas. All public areas of the Residence Halls are cleaned on a regular basis by the Facilities Management staff. Your cooperation with these staff members will aid them in making your environment a more attractive and pleasant place to live. Common area bathrooms are cleaned by the Housekeeping staff daily, while suite baths are cleaned several times a week. In Oakwood Hall, Maplewood Hall, Redwood Hall, University Bluffs, and the Garden/Great Lawn Apartments all residents are responsible for cleaning their entire living space.


All residents are expected to maintain basic sanitary standards for themselves and their living environment – bedroom, bathroom, and common areas. This includes regularly showering, doing their laundry, wearing clean clothes and maintaining a clean area in or around areas where food is present. Failure to maintain these basic standards may impact roommates, suitemates and the community. Any violations will be subject to loss of university housing and/or termination of visitation privileges.

Inspection of University Owned/Sponsored Property

Can my room be inspected when I am present?

Yes. RAs are responsible for conducting Health and Safety inspections at least once every month to ensure the safety and well-being of residents. A minimum of two Residential Life Staff Members will be present during these inspections.

Can my room be inspected when I am not present?

Yes. A minimum of two RAs can conduct Health and Safety inspections in your room when you are not present. This includes Fall, Thanksgiving, Winter, and Spring Breaks.

NJ Multiple Dwelling Registration and Inspection:

All University residence halls have been registered with the New Jersey Department of Community Affairs and comply with all regulations governing the operation of multiple dwellings. In addition to our own health, safety and maintenance inspections, our residence halls are regularly inspected through the New Jersey Department of Community Affairs’ Division of Codes and Standards, Bureau of Housing Inspection. Interested individuals may view the University’s Certificates of Registration and Inspection in the Office of Residential Life, which is located in the 600 Building, on the main-side of campus.


Every residence hall and apartment has washers and dryers. Wash Lava is the outside vendor to all university laundry facilities (with the exception of Garden and Great Lawn Apartments). Students will access the use of laundry machines by way of the Wash Lava App. This App will allow students to set a time to do their laundry, pay for their service and to see when a machine is available for their use. In consideration of other students, laundry should be taken out of these machines as soon as the cycle is completed. If a machine is not working properly, please report the problem Wash Lava App as well. Washer/dryer issues in Garden and Great Lawn should be reported to the Office of Residential Life. The washers and dryers in all other buildings are the LG smart machines and are maintained on a regular basis. Remember, the machines are for the benefit of everyone. Misuse, vandalism, or use by non-residents will not be tolerated.

Letters Served

In general, letters will be served prior to 10:00pm. However, Residential Life reserves the right to serve a student a discipline related letter, a letter deemed urgent by the University, or a no-contact letter on a 24-hour basis. 7 dare a week.


You will be issued a mailbox and combination/key, when you check into your room or apartment. Mail is delivered every day except weekends and Holidays. Outgoing mail can be sent from the student mailroom in the basement of the Library. When you receive a package or piece of mail that will not fit into your mailbox, you will receive an email to your student email account, indicating that you have a package in the Student Mail Room. For packages kept in the Library Mail Room, you must bring your student ID with you to sign for the package. Any packages not picked up after 30 calendar days will be returned to sender. Please note: Each student is responsible for notifying senders of a valid address. No mail can be forwarded from the Residential Life Office. Mail distribution ends at the conclusion of the Spring semester except for those students residing on campus for the summer. All first class mail and packages received after semester closing will be returned to the sender. All non-first class mail will be discarded. Any packages that are not picked up by the close of business on the last day of finals will be returned and charged to your student account. Please advise your family and friends to address mail to you as follows:

Your Name

431 Cedar Avenue

Residence Hall/Room Number

Monmouth University

West Long Branch, NJ. 07764-1898

Will my mail be forwarded during Fall, Thanksgiving, Winter, Spring, and Summer Breaks?

During the winter, Residential Life retains resident’s mail until they return from break. The mail will be delivered to the box upon the beginning of the Spring semester. During the Summer, all mail will be returned to the sender. To ensure that you receive all mail in a timely manner, please provide companies, friends and family with your change of address at the end of the academic year. Mail cannot be held or forwarded during the summer.

Maintenance Requests

Facilities Management provides maintenance personnel who work in conjunction with the Custodians and Residential Life staff to provide you with a safe and comfortable environment. To request a repair, you may fill out an online Service Order request on the Monmouth University portal. You can find the Work Order request at the bottom of the “I Need To” tab. Please fill out all required information and be as specific and detailed as possible when reporting the problem. Emergency maintenance repairs, such as broken locks, windows, or heaters, should be reported immediately to the Area Coordinator, Resident Assistant, or University Police because these can affect your health or safety. Maintenance personnel may enter your room/apartment without authorization for emergencies.

Medical Forms

Prior to residence on campus, all students must have health forms and immunization records on file with the Director of Health Services. Students who do not comply with this requirement may forfeit their housing assignment.


The realities of community living dictate that individuals respect community needs for the moderation of noise. Residents are expected to exercise good judgment and consideration in maintaining a living environment conducive to the achievement of the educational mission of the University. This includes accepting responsibility for one’s behavior at all times and respecting the rights of other individuals. All residents have the right to study and sleep in their living unit, at any time, without unnecessary interruption. All residents are expected to confront any noise problems that are of concern to them. If assistance is needed, a resident may call upon the RA. Residents must comply with all policies and regulations regarding sound equipment and recreational activities within the residential facilities or on University grounds.


An offensive odor is any of such intensity that it becomes apparent to others. Any odor can become offensive when it is too strong. Some examples are: perfume, air freshening spray, or large amounts of dirty laundry. When an offensive odor can be localized to a particular room, the residents(s) and/or guests of that room may be in violation of the odor policy. Incense is expressly prohibited due to the intensity of its odor and potential fire hazard. Smoking or Vaping is also prohibited in all university owned or sponsored housing.

Proper Use of Room Space

Any resident, who is the only occupant of a double occupancy room, must be prepared to receive a roommate at any time. This means keeping your belongings in only one portion of the room so that the new roommate has space for his/her possessions and will feel welcome. Inappropriate use of vacant space will be addressed by Residential Life staff members and may be addressed through the judicial process.

Quiet Hours

Are defined as periods of time when noise will be kept to a minimum. Quiet hours are from 10pm to 9am Sunday through Thursday and from 12 midnight to 11am Friday through Saturday. In addition, all residence halls operate on 24-hour quiet hours during finals week and during break periods. Noise heard outside of a closed student room door or within student rooms from the corridors will be considered excessive and in violation of the quiet hours policy. Stereos played at excessive volumes can be particularly disruptive to persons trying to sleep or study or enjoy music of their own choice. For that reason, residents are expected to be conscious of the volume of their stereos and to use headphones when necessary and requested. Residents may be required to remove stereos, musical instruments, or any other device that causes disruptive noise as determined by the residence hall staff and/or community members. The residents of each floor community are expected to maintain the above stated courtesy and quiet hours, appropriate disciplinary action will be taken for violations.


Recycling is mandatory in the State of New Jersey. Please utilize the specific receptacles for aluminum, paper products, and office paper that are located in the Residence Halls. Recycling instructions are posted in each garbage area within your building, please refer to these instructions to answer your specific instructions. Recycling instructions are available in each apartment as well. Apartment residents should discard trash/recyclable materials in the appropriate receptacles. Failure to comply may result in a fine being assessed against the individual(s), floor(s), suites(s).


Owned or rented refrigerators must be of a compact size, UL Approved, and not in excess of 3.2 cubic feet. Only one refrigerator per resident is allowed. In triple rooms a maximum of two refrigerators is permitted. Any exceptions must be approved by the Area Coordinator. Refrigerators may not be stored in closets or other areas not providing adequate ventilation. Extension cords are prohibited for use with refrigerators.

Refund Requests

The residence halls have vending machines that dispense soda, water, juice, and snacks. Occasionally these machines malfunction and you can lose your money in them. If this occurs, go to the Residential Life Office so a refund can be arranged for you. Also located in the halls and apartments are washers and dryers. If for some reason a machine is not operating properly, students should utilize the Wash Lava app and in most cases an issue can be resolved over the phone. All other refunds will follow the university schedule as appropriate at the discretion of the Assistant Vice President for Student Life and Leadership Engagement or their designee.

Reporting Crimes

Monmouth University encourages all members of the University Community to report any criminal activity or suspicion of criminal activity to the University Police Department as soon as possible. If requested, the identity of the complainant will be kept confidential whenever possible. Suspicious or criminal activity can be reported to the University Police Department at 732-571-4444. Emergency phones located throughout the campus can also be used to report suspicious activity or to summon emergency help.

Residence Hall Regulations

The following University policies and regulations are specifically outlined within this publication as they apply to University Housing. Violations will be addressed through the University Judicial Process. This list is not all inclusive, it is your responsibility to also become familiar with the Code of Conduct, printed in the Student Handbook.

Room Personalization

It is the hope of the Residential Life staff that you will be able to personalize your room and/or apartment and make it a “home away from home” during your stay on campus. However, to protect the condition of your surroundings from damage and in consideration for future residents, the following stipulations are in effect:

  • Residents may use non-permanent, non-staining adhesive materials to hang decorations where wall moldings do not exist. White “fun-tak” is preferred over colored “fun-tak”.
  • Under no circumstances should holes be drilled or placed in any walls or ceilings. No heavy-duty adhesives (duct tape, etc.) should be used in any housing facility. Damage caused by use of these materials will be charged to all responsible residents.
  • All room decoration materials must comply with fire safety and Residence hall regulations. Total wall decoration may not cover more than 10% of the wall surface area.
  • Curtains on windows, or tapestries hanging from the ceiling are prohibited.

Any questions concerning room decorations should be directed to the Area Coordinator.

Safety Tips

There are simple precautionary steps you need to follow to ensure safety and security for yourself, your roommate or apartment-mates, and your belongings.

  • Never prop open entry doors. You threaten your security and the security of all other residents when you do this.
  • Always lock your door whenever you leave your room or apartment, even if you are going to visit a friend next door or take a quick shower. It only takes a minute for someone to enter your room or apartment and steal something.
  • Always lock your door when you are sleeping.
  • Never leave your keys lying around or lend them to anyone. If you lose your keys, notify your RA/CA/AC (or the Office of Residential Life) at once.

Social Affairs

Smaller gatherings, such as birthday celebrations, or programs conducted or sponsored by residential life staff may be conducted, but are subject to all quiet, study hour, and noise restrictions and in no case may they extend beyond 10:00 pm on weekdays; Sunday through Thursday nights and 12:00am midnight on weekends; Friday and Saturday nights. In addition, alcoholic beverages may not be sold, distributed, consumed, or possessed at such gatherings in any way which constitutes a violation of any alcohol policy cited in the Student Handbook, Residence Hall Housing Contract, or any other published document outlining such restrictions. Residents cannot charge admission to these gatherings. Furthermore, students must comply with the borough of West Long Branch’s or the City of Long Branch’s fire code pertaining to occupancy limits. It is expected that at all times during the day, evening, and early morning hours, students will remain considerate of those around them, as well as the rights of all persons residing or present in or near residence hall premises. Finally, larger gatherings are not permitted at the University Bluffs.


The University does not provide storage for any student’s personal property.

Summer Housing

Housing is available for those students taking summer classes for an additional charge. Applications will be made available in March/April and will be processed on a space availability basis. Cumulative credits earned may be used to determine where students are assigned. The University will not be responsible for housing students before and after summer sessions due to the summer cleaning schedule. Students are advised to make plans in advance for this period.

The Jeanne Clery Act

The Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy & Campus Crime Statistics Act (Clery Act) requires all colleges and universities receiving federal funds to report certain crime and fire statistics. Pursuant to the Clery Act, higher education institutions must: publish and disseminate an annual campus security and fire safety report containing various security and fire policies and three years of certain crime and fire log of all crimes and fires reported to their police and security department. Head Resident Assistants and Resident Assistants are considered Campus Security Authorities pursuant to Monmouth University’s Reporting Crimes for Annual Security Report (Clery Act) Policy and should be familiar with their responsibilities. A copy of the policy can be found in The Guide for a Safe Campus Handbook.


The University Police should be contacted at 732-571-4444 as soon as possible to report any theft. Indicate the victim’s name, local address, type of article stolen, and the approximate time of the theft. Generally, an officer will be sent to the scene of the suspected crime to file a report, but sometimes you will be asked to go to the Police station to fill out the report. You should record the model numbers and serial numbers of any valuable items (i.e. gaming system, camera, television, stereo, etc.) that you have in your room. This will greatly improve the chances of recovering these items if they are stolen. Note that the University is not responsible for any item(s) stolen from university property.

Protection of Students’ Property

The University provides locks on rooms and keys to each resident to ensure the safekeeping of money and other valuables. However, the University cannot protect the student against him/herself and the student’s failure to use common sense. Never keep large sums of cash in your room or on your person. To do so is an open invitation to theft. Students should keep their door closed and locked at all times when leaving their room and when they will be out of sight of the room, even when just going to the bathroom or taking a shower, and should always take their keys with them any time they leave their room. At no time should a student give their keys to any other individual for use or leave their keys accessible to others by leaving it in a public area such as a mailbox, a ledge, or under a doormat. Students are advised that it only takes 15 seconds for a theft to occur under the aforementioned conditions, and in most cases the loss is permanent. Report any and all thefts to the University Police and to the residence hall staff immediately. Prompt reporting of thefts, regardless of value, dramatically improves the possibility of recovering property.

Please note: The University is not liable for any item stolen on University property or in University owned housing. Monmouth University cannot be responsible for loss of, or damage to, the personal property of any resident student (see section entitled “Liability”). During vacation periods students leave personal possessions in their rooms or in the residence halls at their own risk. Parents and students should ensure that their property insurance is adequate, or request that their homeowner’s insurance policy be extended to cover their student’s personal property while at the University. Most policies do cover such items and circumstances; however, it is recommended that you check your policy and be sure of the amounts of coverage and procedures in case of theft. In many cases, contacting your insurance agent will avoid delays, problems, and enhance your protection when you follow their recommendations. Students should be alert to the presence of strangers in the residence halls. Such persons should be reported immediately, along with a complete description, to the University Police and residence hall staff.

Trash/Recyclable Removal

Residents are required to carry trash and recyclables to designated areas as directed by the Residential Life Staff. Trash is not to be left in hallways, stairwells, etc.

Wall Decorations/Posters

No more than 10% of any wall may be covered with posters, magazine clippings, artwork, etc. All materials affixed to the walls must be placed 8 inches apart.