Master of Arts in Teaching (M.A.T.) Application Requirements
To be considered for admission, students must submit an application to Monmouth University along with a $50 application fee, and provide the following:
- Possession of a baccalaureate degree with a satisfactory overall GPA per state requirements (see Web site for details) and a minimum 3.0 GPA in the undergraduate major.
- Two letters of recommendation for graduate study.
- Personal statement of not more than two pages that describes the applicant’s preparation for study in the program and personal objectives for graduate study.
- Teacher candidates must pass a basic skills requirement as a part of the admission process. There are two ways to satisfy this requirement:
- Provide a passing score on the Praxis Core Academic Skills for Educators. Please visit https://www.ets.org/praxis/nj for guidance on the NJ Praxis tests and passing scores. A test score must meet the current passing score to satisfy the test requirement. Before you register for a test, please confirm your state’s requirements.
- Provide official qualifying scores on the SAT, ACT, or GRE required for the year in which the exam was taken (see New Jersey Department of Education for details)
Note: Prior to student teaching, the appropriate Praxis Test must be successfully completed and all content courses and conditions of acceptance must be satisfied. Accelerated students must submit scores at time of application.