To be considered for admission, students must submit an application to Monmouth University along with a $60 application fee, and provide the following:
- Possession of a baccalaureate degree with a satisfactory overall GPA per state requirements (see NJDOE Website for details) and a minimum 3.0 GPA in the undergraduate major.
- Subject specific content requirements are different depending on the area of certification.
- Teacher candidates must pass a basic skills requirement as a part of the admission process. There are two ways to satisfy this requirement:
- Provide a passing score on the Praxis Core Academic Skills for Educators. Please visit https://www.ets.org/praxis/nj for guidance on the NJ Praxis tests and passing scores. A test score must meet the current passing score to satisfy the test requirement. Before you register for a test, please confirm your state’s requirements.
- Provide official qualifying scores on the SAT, ACT, or GRE required for the year in which the exam was taken (see New Jersey Department of Education for details)
- Two letters of recommendation for graduate study.
- Personal statement of not more than two pages that describes the applicant’s preparation for study in the program and personal objectives for graduate study.
Note: Prior to student teaching, the appropriate Praxis Test must be successfully completed and all content courses and conditions of acceptance must be satisfied.