Skip to main content

M.A.T. Program FAQ

What is the M.A.T. Program?

The M.A.T. is a Master of Arts in Teaching designed for individuals who wish to teach in the elementary or secondary school system.

How long is the M.A.T. accelerated program?

The M.A.T. Accelerated Program is a full-time graduate program designed for teacher candidates who wish to complete a master’s degree and teacher endorsement in less than two years.

What instructional endorsement areas are available?

  • Elementary endorsement (K6)
  • Content-specific endorsement (i.e., English, math, science, social studies, art, Chinese, health and physical education, music, or Spanish)
  • Elementary endorsement (K6) with Teacher of Students with Disabilities Endorsement
  • Content-specific endorsement with Teacher of Students with Disabilities
  • Elementary endorsement (K6) with English as a Second Language Endorsement
  • Content-specific endorsement with English as a Second Language Endorsement
  • Elementary endorsement (K6) with 5-8 content-specific middle school endorsement (English, math, or social studies)

What is an endorsement?

“Endorsement” means the specific area in which a certificate holder is authorized to serve. Endorsement can also be referred to “certification”, “license”, or “credential”, but the New Jersey Department of Education refers to it as endorsement.

When does the program start and end?

  • K6/Accelerated and Accelerated content-specific programs start in May and are completed by the following May
  • K6/ESL and Accelerated content-specific /ESL start in the summer and take 16 months to complete
  • K6/TSD and content-specific/TSD start every January and take 18 months to complete.

Can I work while completing the program?

Successful candidates will need to make a full-time commitment to the accelerated program. Significant coursework and fieldwork is required each semester. If you must work, the M.A.T. traditional program is a better option.

What are the admission requirements for the M.A.T. accelerated?

The requirements are a bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution, 3.0 GPA or better, appropriate content coursework for the area of endorsement, a passing score on the appropriate Praxis II Test(s), passing score on the appropriate basic skills assessment (GRE, ACT, SAT, or Core Praxis 5751), and any other state requirement completed prior to application.

What if I can’t complete the M.A.T. accelerated program?

You may transfer to the M.A.T. traditional program.

Will all my M.A.T. courses count if I have to move to the M.A.T. traditional?

Yes, provided you stay in the same endorsement program.

If I don’t have all the requirements for the accelerated program, can I still apply to the program?

You may apply to any other M.A.T. Traditional program.

I took a Praxis II test 10 years ago, does it still count?

For a complete list of the current New Jersey Department of Education’s test requirements, go to

If I have a “Certificate of Eligibility” will I automatically be accepted into the M.A.T. accelerated?

Not necessarily. The School of Education requires that each student have the appropriate content coursework in the endorsement area.

Should I seek a substitute teaching license?

It is strongly recommended.

What if I want to teach only preschool?

For potential students interested in teaching only preschool, please contact Dr. Kerry Rizzuto ( about the P-3 M.Ed. program.

If my endorsement is Elementary K6, what will I be authorized to teach?

The elementary (generalist) school teacher is authorized to teach in grades kindergarten through six in all public schools.

What is appropriate coursework for the elementary endorsement?

A liberal arts, science, dual content, or interdisciplinary academic major or a minimum of 60 semester hour credits in liberal arts and/or science within the B.A./B.S. degree.

I have a degree in: psychology, communications, or business, am I eligible for the MAT accelerated elementary program?

You must have a B.A./B.S. degree, CGPA of 3.0 or better, a passing Praxis II score, and appropriate content courses completed for the elementary endorsement prior to application.

Are there specific courses needed for elementary endorsement?

A minimum of 6 credits in college level mathematics, 7-8 credits of science to include 4 credits in lab science, 9 credits in literature and composition, and 9 credits in history, 3 credits in American National Government, and 3 credits in human/cultural geography.

What if I want to teach middle school?

M.A.T. Traditional dual endorsement K6 with 5-8 content-specific (English, math, science, or social studies) endorsement program is available. You will be authorized as:

  • K6: elementary (generalist) school teacher in grades kindergarten through six in all public schools.
  • Elementary School with subject matter specialization (5-8): You will be authorized to teach the content-specific area of your endorsement full-time in grades five through eight in all public schools.
  • 15 credits of coursework in the content area.

What is appropriate coursework for content-specific endorsement in grades 7-12?

At least 30 credits in a comprehensive cohesive sequence or a major in the subject area.

What does “30 credits in a coherent sequence” mean?

If you wish to pursue content-specific endorsement you must possess a minimum of 30 credits in the content area you wish to be certified in. For example, if you are interested in math endorsement, you will need 30 credits in mathematics with at least 12 credits completed at the 300-400 level.

How will I know if I have the content coursework for endorsement?

A transcript review will be conducted to determine appropriate coursework.

What if I want to teach social studies?

Content endorsement in social studies requires the following: at least 15 credits in history, 3 credits in economics, 3 credits in geography, and 12 credits in the social sciences or history.

What is included in the social sciences?

Anthropology, geography, sociology, psychology, political science, or philosophy.

What if I want to teach Physical Science?

Content endorsement in physical science requires 30 credits in chemistry, 15 credits in physics, and 8 credits in mathematics.

What if I want to teach Spanish?

The Spanish requirement is the same for content-specific endorsement, but an additional test is required: The Spanish Oral Proficiency Interview (OPI).

What if I want to teach Physical Education?

The M.A.T. content-specific Health Studies and Physical Education program requires 30 credits in a coherent sequence in health, a minimum of 15 credits in physical education, and 6 credits of study in individual, dual, and team sports.

If my content is English, social studies (history, economics, or social sciences), math, or science (biology, chemistry, physical science, or physics), what grade levels can I teach?

Content-specific endorsements authorize the holder to teacher in grades 5-8 in a departmentalized setting and/or grades 7-12.

If my content is in Art, Chinese, Health and Physical Education, Music, or Spanish what grades can I teach?

The teacher of these subject areas is considered the content “specialist” and is trained to teach all grade levels in the specific content area.

What if I only want to teach special education?

Special Education endorsement, known as the Teacher of Students with Disabilities Endorsement (TSD), requires the completion of an instructional endorsement along with the coursework of the TSD endorsement.

What if I want to teach English as a Second Language (ESL)?

The ESL endorsement requires the completion of an instructional endorsement along with the ESL endorsement. There is no Praxis II requirement, however, you must provide proficiency certificates for the English Oral Proficiency Interview (OPI) and the English Writing Proficiency Test (WPT).

 How long is clinical practice (student teaching)?

Student teaching is an unpaid, full-time, full-semester field experience, which occurs during a fall or spring semester.

Do I find my own placement for student teaching?

The Office of Student Teaching, Field Placements, and School Partnerships will find your placement, based on your endorsement area.

Will it be close to where I live?

Every effort will be made to find you an appropriate placement within Monmouth, Ocean, or Middlesex County.