August 28, 2018, 3:00 pm
Monmouth University welcomes all students who complete their degrees this July and August to participate in its Summer Commencement ceremony.
Caps & Gowns
Cap and gown orders must be placed online through WebAdvisor under the heading “Graduation” from Monday, July 2, through Wednesday, August 1. Please note that orders must be received by midnight Wednesday, August 1, 2018; otherwise, we cannot guarantee that a cap and gown will be available for you.
Caps and gowns may be picked up on the following dates and times. Photo ID is required when picking up your cap and gown.
|August 27 (Monday)||1:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m.||Stafford Student Center, 2nd Floor|
|August 28 (Tuesday)||1:00 p.m. – 2:00 p.m.||Stafford Student Center, 2nd Floor|
Announcement & Ticket Pickup
Announcements/Tickets may be picked up in the Office of Student Life (2nd floor of the Student Center) on the dates and times listed below. Announcements/Tickets Only (not Caps and Gowns).
|August 6 (Monday)||8:45 am – 7:45 pm|
|August 7 (Tuesday)||8:45 am – 7:45 pm|
|August 8 (Wednesday)||8:45 am – 5:00 pm|
|August 9 (Thursday)||8:45 am – 5:00 pm|
|August 10 (Friday)||8:45 am – 5:00 pm|
|August 13 (Monday)||8:45 am – 5:00 pm|
|August 14 (Tuesday)||8:45 am – 5:00 pm|
|August 15 (Wednesday)||8:45 am – 5:00 pm|
|August 16 (Thursday)||8:45 am – 5:00 pm|
|August 17 (Friday)||8:45 am – 5:00 pm|
|August 20 (Monday)||8:45 am – 5:00 pm|
|August 21 (Tuesday)||8:45 am – 5:00 pm|
|August 22 (Wednesday)||8:45 am – 5:00 pm|
|August 23 (Thursday)||8:45 am – 5:00 pm|
|August 24 (Friday)||8:45 am – 5:00 pm|
|August 27 (Monday)||8:45 am – 5:00 pm|
|August 28 (Tuesday)||8:45 am – 2:00 pm|
Each graduate will receive four (4) guest tickets. Graduates do not need a ticket. Those without tickets are welcome to view the ceremony on the televisions in the Rebecca Stafford Student Center.
Please note: If a child is able to walk, they will need a ticket. In accordance with fire safety regulations, strollers are not permitted in the theater.
If you have additional questions, please call the Office of Student Life at 732-571-3417.
Honors and Honor Cords
Undergraduate students who are baccalaureate degree recipients having earned at least fifty-six (56) credits at Monmouth University and have a cumulative GPA no lower than 3.50 will be graduated with honors. This distinction is indicated on the diploma. Academic honor cords, to be worn at Commencement, will be distributed to students with their cap and gown.
Cum Laude: 3.50 – 3.64
Magna Cum Laude: 3.65 – 3.84
Summa Cum Laude: 3.85 – 4.00
Honor society and non-academic honor cords will be distributed by the advisor for each of the relevant organizations. If you are currently a member of such an organization, you should contact your advisor to determine if and when honor cords will be distributed to the graduating members.
Graduate students are not eligible for honor cords unless provided by their specific academic discipline’s honor society.
The colors you will see in the hoods of our faculty represent the various fields in which the degrees were taken:
Apricot – Nursing
Orange – Engineering
Brown – Fine Arts
Pink – Music
Citron – Social Work
Purple – Law
Crimson – Journalism
Sage Green – Physical Education
Dark Blue – Philosophy
Salmon Pink – Public Health
Golden Yellow – Science
Scarlet – Theology
Green – Medicine
Yellow-Brown: Commerce, Business, Accounting
Lemon-Yellow – Library Science
White – Arts, Letters, Humanities
Light Blue – Education
The Commencement Ceremony is a dignified academic event that recognizes the achievements of our graduates and honorees. Students who choose to participate in Commencement are asked to observe the following guidelines.
- Graduates must return to the seating area after receiving their degrees. Out of respect for all students being recognized, participants are required to remain for the entire ceremony. The conferral of degrees is an important part of our program, and it is imperative that consideration be extended until the final student receives his/her degree. If you choose to participate, you are expected to remain until the recessional.
- If you are making dinner reservations, it is suggested they be made no earlier than 5:30 p.m.
- All cell phones and electronic devices must be turned off for the duration of the ceremony.
- Noise-making devices are prohibited, as are any objects that would detract from the formality of the event.
- Applause should be held until all students have received their degrees. Names will be read quickly, and it is important that every name is heard.
The points listed above are meant to ensure that our graduates and guests have the most enjoyable day possible.
Frequently Asked Questions
Monmouth University’s Summer 2018 Commencement will be held on Tuesday, August 28, 2018 at 3:00 p.m. in Pollak Theatre on campus.
- Is there a fee for Commencement?
- There is no fee to participate in Commencement.
- How many guest tickets do graduates receive?
- Graduates are limited to four (4) tickets each. Graduates do not need a ticket.
- Do children need tickets?
- If a child is walking, a ticket is needed. Children are not permitted to sit on a lap in lieu of a ticket. Strollers are not permitted in the theater in accordance with fire safety regulations.
- What time do graduates have to be at the Atrium in the Edison Science building?
- Graduates are asked to be at the student lineup by 2:30pm. Signs and staff will direct you to this area. The student procession will begin at approximately 2:50pm, guests are asked to be seated by 2:30pm.
- What time will the doors to Pollak Theatre open?
- The doors to Pollak Theatre will open at 1:30pm.
- How do I get my tickets?
- Please see the section “Ticket/Announcement Pickup Schedule” for the days and times tickets/announcements will be released. A photo ID is required to pick up your tickets/announcements.
- How and when do I get my cap and gown?
- Cap and gowns will be available for pickup on Monday, August 27, 2018, from 1:00pm to 4:00pm in the Stafford Student Center, 2nd Floor, or the day of Commencement from 1:00pm to 2:00pm in the Stafford Student Center, 2nd Floor. A photo ID is required to pick up your cap and gown.
NOTE: These are the only times you may pick up your cap and gown.
- When will I receive my diploma?
- Diplomas will be distributed on stage during the ceremony. Diplomas not distributed may be picked up at the Office of the Registrar from Wednesday, August 29, to Friday, August 31. A photo ID is required to receive your diploma. Diplomas not picked up by Friday, August 31, will be mailed to your home address by certified mail on Tuesday, September 4.
NOTE: All financial obligations to the University must be satisfied prior to diplomas being released.
- Will a photographer be at Commencement?
- Yes. GradImages, a professional photography service, will be at Commencement to photograph students as they are recognized on stage. Your proof will be mailed to your home address and sent via e-mail to your student account. You may pre-register your e-mail address at http://gradimages.com/Preregistration to ensure an accurate address is on file. By pre-registering, you will receive 20% off any order of $50 or more.
- Is there a rehearsal for graduation?
- There is no rehearsal for graduation. Detailed instructions will be available at the distribution area for cap and gowns.
- Is there a reception following Commencement?
- The University will remain open until 6:00pm on Commencement day. The fountains will be on and light refreshments will be available on Torcivia Commons adjacent to Bey Hall and Pozycki Hall (rain site is Wilson Hall).
If you have any additional questions, please call the Office of Student Life at 732-571-3417.
Grad Images Photography
Grad Images, a professional photography service, will be at Commencement to photograph graduates as they are recognized on stage. Your proofs will be sent via e-mail to your student account and mailed to your home address.
You may pre-register your e-mail address at http://gradimages.com/Preregistration to ensure an accurate address is on file. By pre-registering, you will receive 20% off any order of $50 or more.