Summer Commencement – Class of 2021
We are pleased to be holding a Monmouth University Summer Commencement Ceremony to recognize our students who have completed their degree requirements during the Summer 2021 sessions. The ceremony will be held on campus on Thursday, Aug. 26, 2021, at 10 a.m., in the OceanFirst Bank Center on Monmouth University’s campus. Students will be provided four (4) guest tickets and the ceremony will be live streamed simultaneously as well. Tickets will be emailed to your student email a day or two prior to the ceremony.
The Commencement Ceremony is a dignified academic event that recognizes the achievements of our graduates and honorees. Students who choose to participate in Commencement are asked to observe the following guidelines.
- Graduates must return to the seating area after receiving their degrees. Out of respect for all students being recognized, participants are required to remain for the entire ceremony. The conferral of degrees is a lengthy part of our program, and it is imperative that consideration be extended until the final student receives his/her degree. If you choose to participate, you are expected to remain until the recessional.
- All cell phones and electronic devices must be turned off for the duration of the ceremony.
- Noise-making devices are prohibited, as are any objects that would detract from the formality of the event.
- Applause should be held until all students have received their degrees. Names will be read quickly, and it is important that every name is heard.
The points listed above are meant to ensure that our graduates and guests have the most enjoyable day possible.
Caps and Gowns
In order to participate, you will need to order your cap and gown (tassel included) directly through Herff Jones. The site will be open on Thursday, July 1, and will close on Friday, July 30. Please order as soon as possible to ensure you will receive your cap and gown in time for the ceremony. Please visit the Herff Jones website to give your size and shipping information. There is no cost to you to order your cap and gown. You will need to bring your cap and gown with you to campus to participate in the commencement ceremony. Please note that we will not be able to provide you with another cap and gown at that time.
Honors and Honor Cords
Undergraduate students who are baccalaureate degree recipients having earned at least fifty-six (56) credits at Monmouth University and have a cumulative GPA no lower than 3.50 will be graduated with honors. This distinction is indicated on the diploma.
- Cum Laude: 3.50 – 3.64
- Magna Cum Laude: 3.65 – 3.84
- Summa Cum Laude: 3.85 – 4.00
Academic honor cords may be mailed to your home by the Registrar’s Office prior to the ceremonies or you may pick them up at the ceremony near registration.
Honor society and non-academic honor cords will be distributed by the advisor for each of the relevant organizations. If you are currently a member of such an organization, you should contact your advisor to determine if and when honor cords will be distributed to the graduating members.
Graduate students are not eligible for honor cords unless provided by their specific academic discipline’s honor society.
Grad Images Photography
GradImages, a professional photography service, will be at Commencement to photograph graduates as they are recognized on stage. Your proofs will be sent via e-mail to your student account and mailed to your home address. If you have any questions regarding your proofs, please contact GradImages Customer Service Department at 800-261-2576 or email them at firstname.lastname@example.org.
You may pre-register your e-mail address at https://www.gradimages.com/registration to ensure an accurate address is on file. By pre-registering, you will receive a coupon for 20% off your order.
Certified Electronic Diploma
We are pleased to be able to provide you with a Certified Electronic Diploma! When your Certified Electronic Diploma is ready to be downloaded, you will receive an email with instructions. You will not receive this notification unless all university obligations are met.
We will also mail you a traditional paper diploma approximately 2 weeks after the conferral date, provided all university obligations are met.
The colors you will see in the hoods of our faculty represent the various fields in which the degrees were taken:
- Apricot – Nursing
- Brown – Fine Arts
- Citron – Social Work
- Crimson – Journalism
- Dark Blue – Philosophy
- Golden Yellow – Science
- Green – Medicine
- Lemon-Yellow – Library Science
- Light Blue – Education
- Orange – Engineering
- Pink – Music
- Purple – Law
- Sage Green – Physical Education
- Salmon Pink – Public Health
- Scarlet – Theology
- Yellow-Brown: Commerce, Business, Accounting
- White – Arts, Letters, Humanities