Founded in 1933, Monmouth has a rich history and an exceptional reputation as a student-centered, affordable private university. Monmouth offers a quality education and a complete college experience that broadens students’ horizons and prepares them for a fulfilling, successful career.
Even with other regional and NJ colleges and universities competing for students, Monmouth University attracts students from across the U.S. and abroad. The student body is approximately 5,900 students, comprised of 4,400 undergrads and 1,500 graduates.
Students may select a major from 33 different undergraduate and 28 different graduate and doctoral degree programs. Best of all, our programs are flexible to meet students’ needs, with on-campus, online, hybrid, and accelerated class offerings.
- Monmouth University is recognized as one of the best universities in NJ, moving up the U.S. News & World Report rankings of “Best Colleges,” and making The Princeton Review’s “Best Colleges” 18 years straight.
- Monmouth is among the best-value private universities in New Jersey—we’re in the top third in academic quality and the bottom half of cost.
- By the time they graduate, 77% of Monmouth University students have completed a practicum, internship, co-op, or similar “real-world” experience; only 49% of graduating students at comparable institutions have done this. [2012 National Survey of Student Engagement].
- The University’s School of Science faculty members collaborated with students during the 2011-2012 academic year on projects that earned four patents.
- 1,000+ students have participated in student/faculty collaborative research; the percentage of students involved is 10 percentage points above the national average. [2012 National Survey of Student Engagement].
- As a NJ university near the Atlantic coast, Monmouth provides the opportunity for biology students to participate in field-based experience in marine and environmental science through the University’s Urban Coast Institute, a Center of Distinction.
- Students have developed a series of viable products and services through their involvement in Monmouth’s Center for Entrepreneurship. Past projects have included Nanina’s pasta sauce, Stiletto perfume, and Soup D’Shore, a local soup kitchen.
- The 12:1 student-faculty ratio offers a hands-on learning environment.
- Monmouth has developed a Master of Science in Physician Assistant program; one of only three PA master’s programs in New Jersey.
- Monmouth University is one of only 22 schools in the nation offering a program in software engineering accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission of ABET.
- Monmouth University earned Certification in Education for Public Relations (CEPR) by the Public Relations Society of America for its exceptional Public Relations Program. Monmouth University is one of 34 colleges in the world to earn this distinction.
- Dr. Gary Lewandowski, associate professor and chair of Monmouth’s Psychology Department, was selected for inclusion in The Princeton Review’s Best 300 Professors (2012).
- The Monmouth University Polling Institute has garnered recognition for its national polls. Institute Director Patrick Murray was ranked number 30 on PolitickerNJ’s 2013 Power List of the 100 most influential people in New Jersey politics.
- As a New Jersey university, Monmouth’s proximity to New York City and Philadelphia has enabled our students to intern at such places as Merrill Lynch, NHL Headquarters, Cosmopolitan magazine, Entertainment Tonight, Hugo Boss, MTV, NBC Sports, Saturday Night Live, and The Colbert Report.
- Nearby Asbury Park is known for its live music and historic venues. Just a few minutes from campus, students can become immersed in the arts and learn even more by taking advantage of music internship opportunities.
- Through the Shadow Lawn Stage, an Actors’ Equity theater on campus, students in music and theatre arts can work side-by-side with Equity actors, learn the details of professional production, and earn points toward Equity membership.
- To be among affordable private universities, Monmouth partners with students to develop a plan to manage university tuition and fees and other educational expenses, taking into account their individual financial situation.
- There are many types of financial aid for university students including scholarships for New Jersey residents or those attending a NJ university including: NJ Best Scholarship, New Jersey World Trade Center Scholarship, Law Enforcement Officer Memorial Scholarship, New Jersey Student Tuition Assistance Reward Scholarship and the Survivor Tuition Benefits Program.
There are so many reasons why Monmouth University is among the best New Jersey universities. Visit Monmouth University, meet our admission counselors, and experience why our students highly rate their experience.