The School of Education at Monmouth University is pleased to announce the seventh year of their Special Services Academy for special service directors, school psychologists, learning consultants, school social workers, and speech specialists.
The purpose of the Special Services Academy is to create an opportunity for dialogue and an exchange of ideas and experiences for Directors of Special Services, Learning Disabilities Teacher Consultants, School Psychologists, School Social Workers, and Speech Language Specialists. Through collaboration with university administrators and faculty, the academy will provide professional learning communities that offer growth opportunities for members through sessions which focus on promoting reflective practice and positively impacting student and teacher learning. A network of support and resources for members will be established for developing new experiences.
Special Services Academy Steering Committee
- Prof. Mary Brennan, Department Chair, Special Education, Monmouth University
- Ms. Natalie Gricko, Supervisor Child Study Team, Woodbridge Township Schools District
- Prof. Mary Haspel, Lecturer, Special Education, Monmouth University
- Dr. Stacy Lauderdale-Littin, Assistant Professor, Special Education, Monmouth University
- Dr. Carol McArthur-Amedeo, Lecturer, Special Education, Monmouth University
- Ms. Rita Miller, Supervisor Pupil Personnel Services, Point Pleasant Borough Schools
- Ms. Diane Schrieks, Special Education Supervisor, Woodbridge Township Schools
- Dr. Kathryn Servilio, Assistant Professor, Special Education, Monmouth University
Special Services’ Academy 2018 – 2019 Members
- Alpha School
- Freehold Township School District
- Hazlet Township Public Schools
- Jackson School District
- Keansburg School District
- Little Egg Harbor School District
- Long Branch Public Schools
- Ocean Academy
- Point Pleasant Beach School District
- Point Pleasant Borough Schools
- Red Bank Borough Public Schools
- Sayreville Public Schools
- South Brunswick School District
- The Education Academy
- Toms River Regional Schools
- Woodbridge Township School District
Membership Opportunity 2018 – 2019
The yearly fee for membership in the academy is $300. For additional information, contact The School of Education, Certification, Field Placements, & School Partnership Office, at 732-263-5473 or send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Academy will hold four workshops a year with topics on timely issues directly related to matters of interest to special services directors, school psychologists, learning consultants, school social workers, and speech specialists.
Session 1: Thursday, October 11, 2018 ~ Criminal Justice Advocacy for Special Education with Jessica Oppenheim, Esq.
Session 2: Thursday, December 6, 2018 ~ Considerations & Strategies for Teaching Social Skills by Erik X. Raj, Ph.D, Mary Haspel, MA
Session 3: Thursday, February 7, 2019 ~ Mental Health Issues: Warning Signs & Coping Skills by Cynthia O’Connell, M.Ed
Session 4: Thursday, April 4, 2019 ~ Transition Programs & Services – Panel Discussion
BCBA Roundtables are held from 10:30am – 12pm & Special Services sessions from 12pm – 2pm in the Magill Commons Club Rooms 107 & 108
- Defensible IEP’s
- Mental Health Issues, Concerns, & Dialogue
- Tiered Systems of Support
- Evidence-based Practices for Students with Autism
- Legal Issues
- LRE Implementation
- Reading Approaches and Individualized Reading Programs
- Role of the Social Worker on the Child Study Team
- Special Education and Its Relation to PARCC
2019-2020 workshops to be announced.