Statement from Monmouth University President Paul R. Brown, Ph.D.
“It is impossible to understate the transformational and lasting influence Jules L. Plangere, Jr. has had on Monmouth University during his many years of service as a trustee, board chair, and visionary leader.
“His legacy at Monmouth extends to almost every area of our University, including scholarship opportunities for students, academic programming, building influential centers of distinction, and support for athletic teams and facilities, which have all been strengthened by his efforts.
“In so many ways our trajectory of success over the past decades is tribute to his steadfast belief in all that Monmouth University could achieve. Likewise, his philanthropic investments in civic improvement across our entire region enhanced the quality of life for many who were not fortunate enough to know him personally.
“Jules was an extraordinary person of lasting influence whose personal and professional legacy we are proud to have shared.”
Select Highlights of Jules L. Plangere Jr.’s Legacy at Monmouth University:
- Plangere’s lifelong support for civic causes and volunteer service had a major impact on both Monmouth University and our region.
- As board chair (1983-89), Plangere championed the adoption of the University’s first strategic plan, which focused on achieving regional distinction by enhancing academic quality and establishing closer community partnerships.
- Plangere’s transformational legacy at Monmouth University is clear in his support for endowed student scholarships, the endowed Jules L. Plangere, Jr. Chair in American Social History, his support for young journalists at the student-run newspaper, The Outlook, lighting for the soccer facilities at Hesse Field on the Great Lawn, and the first leadership gift to the Monmouth Stadium currently under construction.
- Plangere’s foundational investment in the Monmouth University Polling Institute to foster greater public understanding of social and political issues, and his marquee gift to build the OceanFirst Bank Center, which bears his initials on center court, have been essential building blocks in the increased national prominence of Monmouth University.
- The award-winning Jules L. Plangere, Jr. Center for Communication and Instructional Technology was named in his honor in 2002.
- Plangere’s many awards and recognition include: the President’s Vision Award, renamed the Jules L. Plangere, Jr. Medal in his honor in 2015; the Monmouth Award for Communication Excellence; an honorary Doctor of Laws degree.