Purpose: To provide scholarship to three deserving full time students attending a four-year college.
Award Components: Three (3) $1,500 scholarships awarded to students selected by The Heinlein Society.
The “Virginia Heinlein Memorial Scholarship” is dedicated to a female candidate studying in a STEM field (see
“Eligibility Requirements” below). The other two scholarships (the Yoji Kondo and Jerry Pournelle
scholarships) may be awarded to either a male or female, and add “Science Fiction as literature” as an eligible
field of study. All female candidates studying in a STEM field will be considered for the “Ginny” first, and then
considered for the other two scholarships if they are not awarded the “Ginny”.
1. Applicant must be a full time undergraduate student enrolled in an accredited college that awards
Bachelor of Science or Arts degrees.
2. Major must be Science Fiction as Literature, Engineering, Math, or Physical or Biological
3. Open to residents of any country.
4. Previous winners may enter again, but must write on a different topic than their winning entry.
Applicant must submit the following items:
1. Completed application form. Only this PDF application form will be accepted, and must be returned by email
2. A brief explanation of career goals and biographical (background) information on page 3.
3. A 500 – 1,000 word essay on one of the subjects listed on page 4.
Deadline for the application is April 1, 2019. Applications emailed after this date will not be considered.