Provides financial assistance to students receiving education or training in a direct or indirect health-care services discipline (Title 38 and Hybrid Title 38 occupations); and assists in providing an adequate supply of such personnel for the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). HPSP helps the Veterans Health Administration (VHA) meet its need for qualified health care professionals for which recruitment or retention is difficult.
- During FY 2019, HPSP eligible occupations as determined and published by VHA workforce needs are:
➢ Bachelors of Science in Nursing
➢ Masters of Science in Nursing (Mental Health Practitioners Only)
➢ Masters of Physician Assistant Studies
- During FY 2020, HPSP anticipates offering scholarships to Medical Officers (Medical School Students) to meet requirement introduced as part of the VA Mission Act of 2018. Program details will be released Fall 2019.
- Eligible applicants must be enrolled in, or accepted for enrollment in, an academic program located in the United States that prepares graduates to meet the VA qualification standards for employment in the occupations listed above
- Applicants must be citizens of the United States and pass a background investigation
- Full-time students:
o Tuition, authorized required fees, stipend, and annual education expense payment
o 4 years to complete education
- Part-time students (current VA employees only):
o Tuition, authorized required fees, stipend, and annual education expense payment (Award
amounts are based on ratio of full-time attendance)
o 6 years to complete education
- Upon completing their educational program and licensure/certification, participants work as permanent, full-time VA employees in the occupations for which the scholarship was awarded
- Participant service obligation: Full-time student – 2 to 3 years; Part-time student – 1 to 3 years
- Participants sign a Mobility Agreement to relocate at their own expense if required to fulfill their service obligation
- VA has opened the 2019 application cycle effective February 20, 2019 until 11:55pm on May 3, 2019 at which time the application cycle will be closed.