Skip to main content

Disability Services


The following are frequently asked questions from faculty members and answers to those questions.

Who is an “individual with a disability?”

A person with a disability is one who has a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits a major life activity, has a record or history of such impairment, or is regarded as having such an impairment. (See “The Laws.”)

Top of Page

Is there a different application process for admission of students with disabilities?

Prospective students must meet all criteria for admission as established by the Office of Undergraduate or Graduate Admission. The disclosure of a disability upon application to the University is optional. It is illegal for the admission office to ask about disability status. However, a statement on the application advises students with disabilities to contact the Department of Disability Services for Students to request information explaining disability services at Monmouth University. In order to obtain reasonable accommodations, a student must register with the Department of Disability Services for Students by submitting appropriate documentation.

Top of Page

Is there a limit to the number of students who can utilize accommodations through the Department of Disability Services for Students?

Any student who has provided Monmouth University with adequate documentation can utilize accommodations.

Top of Page

Is the SAT or ACT required for students with disabilities?

Submitting SAT or ACT scores is a required part of the admission process for all students. Students who wish to apply to Monmouth University should submit an application to the Office of Admission. Applicants who have disabilities are not required to identify themselves as such, although they may wish to do so. Students meeting regular admission criteria, including standardized testing, will be admitted regardless of disability. All questions regarding the admission process should be directed to the University admission office.

Students with disabilities are encouraged to use appropriate accommodations when taking these tests.

Top of Page

How many students at Monmouth University have disabilities?

Approximately 550 individuals are registered with the Department of Disability Services for Students.

Top of Page

What documentation is needed from a student?

Students with a disability other than a learning disability are required to have a Monmouth University Disability Provider Information Form on record. This documentation should include a diagnosis, a description of the functional limitations that may affect performance, necessary accommodations, and the printed and signed name of the physician, psychologist, psychiatrist, rehabilitation counselor, social worker, therapist, or other authority (not related to the individual) who is qualified to assess the disability. Documentation must be current so that it is relevant to the University experience.

Top of Page

What documentation is needed for a learning disability?

Students with learning disabilities who request academic adjustments or who choose to utilize support services must submit adequate documentation of the learning disability to the University. The documentation must present a diagnosis of a learning disability and must indicate the need for particular academic adjustments or accommodations. Documentation should include valid standardized testing administered by school or private professionals and should include scores, reports, and recommendations. The student’s Individual Education Plan (IEP) or 504 Plan should be included as well. Documentation must be current (typically within three years) so that it is relevant to the University experience.

The following tests reveal the most relevant data for students with learning disabilities and are preferred by Monmouth University:

Wechsler Adult Intelligence Scale (WAIS-IV)

Woodcock-Johnson (WJ-IV)

Students should request services in writing and should forward documentation by April 1 (for fall admission) or January 1 (for spring admission) to the Department of Disability Services for Students. This action will enable the University to plan for any assistance that might be needed.

Top of Page

What services are available for students at Monmouth?

The services provided by the DDS include: orientation to campus services; collecting and maintaining student documentation and files; assistance in setting up accommodations; providing accommodation letters for students at the beginning of each term; temporary loan of auxiliary aids; assistance in locating readers and note takers; liaison with faculty, tutoring coordinator, professional staff, and outside agencies (with the student’s written permission); informational seminars and workshops; referral to an outside agency; and providing the use of specialized equipment when needed.

Top of Page

What accommodations are provided for students?

Reasonable accommodations are individual and based on the nature of the disability and the academic environment. The following is a list of common accommodations for students:

  • accessible classroom/location/furniture
  • handicapped parking spaces
  • accessible housing in certain residence halls
  • auxiliary aids and services including note takers, readers, interpreters (does not include personal aides or services)
  • assistive computer technology
  • large print computer screens
  • document conversion (Braille, large print, taped, and alternative print formats)
  • computer for exams
  • private or quiet exam room
  • extended time for tests or assignments
  • breaks during testing
  • use of calculator for testing
  • scribe for testing
  • copies of overhead materials
  • recording of lectures
  • preferential classroom seating
  • use of digital books

Top of Page

Is tutoring provided specifically for students with disabilities?

There are several tutoring resources available to all Monmouth students; most are free of charge. Disability services provides students with a list of tutoring locations and contacts and encourages students to pursue all available tutoring programs if needed. It is the student’s responsibility to contact the tutoring services that will best meet their needs. Specialized learning assistance provided by the disabilities specialist is available for students with disabilities.

Top of Page

Are there specialized courses for students with disabilities?

Monmouth University offers one course that is designed for students with disabilities. ED-101:Transition to College is a one-credit elective course geared toward incoming freshmen with disabilities. The course attempts to assist students in their transition by presenting material that will help them become independent learners. Topics include: learning styles, self-advocacy, organizational methods, and time management study skills.

Top of Page