• Use of Personal Automobiles: Liability for Class Trips and Employee Travel on University Business

    Class Trips

    Office of General Counsel LogoIf a class trip is part of a regularly scheduled course, students should not be asked to drive each other to off-campus sites, such as museums, athletic events, or other locations. However, there is no prohibition against students deciding to share transportation on their own, so long as such ride-sharing is not recommended or mandated.

    Legal PenIf a student does drive his/her own (or another individual’s) vehicle to get to an off-campus site and an accident occurs, the automobile insurance in effect for the vehicle at that time would provide physical damage coverage for the vehicle and/or liability coverage involving a third party. Students are not authorized to drive University vehicles.

    A suggestion for alternative transportation for course-related class trips is to rent a vehicle. Those arrangements should be worked out with the Purchasing Department. The cost of such a rental would come out of the department’s budget.

    Employee Travel on University Business

    If a University employee is on University business and has an accident while driving his/her own vehicle, the employee’s auto insurance is the primary coverage. Where bodily injury is sustained by the employee, the University’s Workers Compensation policy is the primary source of coverage for any resulting injuries. Should such an event occur, the employee should contact as soon as possible: