Close Close

FAQs for Students

When can I go and what are the requirements?

  • You must have sophomore status/30+ credits
  • Minimum GPA of 2.75
  • You cannot be on judicial probation
  • You cannot be on academic probation
  • Faculty or Staff Confidential Reference
  • Study Abroad during the fall, spring or summer

Where can I go?

Monmouth University currently offers six semester-long programs. You can choose to study abroad in London, England at the University of Westminster;  Florence, Italy (offered in fall only) at Lorenzo de Medici; Sorrento, Italy at Sant’Anna Institute (offered in spring only); Sydney, Australia at Macquarie University; at the University of Belgrano in Buenos Aires, Argentina; or with the European Study Center in Strasbourg, France.   The Argentina, England, France and Italy semesters run along similar times as our own. In Australia, the fall semester begins in late July and runs through late November; the spring semester begins in late February and ends in late June.

During the summer (typically from mid-June through July), we offer a six-week Cádiz, Spain program and a four-week Florence, Italy program. Students who study in Spain take 6 credits while receiving excellent instruction in Spanish courses, ranging from beginner to advanced level. Classes are kept small and intimate for optimal language learning. For students studying in Florence, Italy, classes are taught in English, except Italian Language courses. Course offerings for the summer program are in the Arts, Humanities, Social Sciences, Business, Political Science, Studio Arts, and Italian Language.

Students are required to take 6 credits and can fulfill a 6-credit GU/CD requirement in the Cádiz, Spain program and the Experiential Education Requirement (if applicable for their major) during both of these summer programs.

How much will it cost?

  • Monmouth University semester programs have the same tuition and fee costs as on-campus. Room and board rates are also similar.
  • Airfare and spending money will make up the bulk of your expenses outside of tuition and room and board.
  • Check out the ‘Study Abroad Costs‘ page in the Student Portal.

Can I Use Financial Aid?

  • Your current financial aid travels with you for the Monmouth semester programs. This means you can use your Monmouth grants and scholarships, as well as federal and state grants, scholarships, and loans.
  • Athletic scholarships cannot be used toward a study abroad semester during the academic year but they can sometimes be used for the summer Spain/Italy programs. We recommend that you speak with your coach about this.
  • If you study abroad on an approved outside program, those costs can be used to determine your eligibility for federal and state financial aid; you cannot, however, apply your Monmouth University grant or scholarship toward these outside programs.
  • Airfare and spending money are considered legitimate educational expenses, and students are usually able to borrow for them, if necessary.
  • You should contact Nancy Hanson in the Financial Aid Office to explore your options for financial aid.

Can EOF Students Study Abroad?

  • EOF scholarship recipients’ financial aid packages will be the same for Study Abroad as if they were living in Monmouth University housing for the academic year.
  • EOF scholars are personally responsible for their $250 deposit.
  • There is no EOF funding available for summer Study Abroad programs.
  • EOF scholars wishing to study abroad must get permission from the EOF Director.

Why would I want to do this?

Not only will you be continuing on your way to a Monmouth University degree, but you will greatly enhance your sense of independence and self-confidence.

  • Live and learn with other Monmouth University students, students from other American universities, and students from other countries!
  • Prepare to be a global change agent in the 21st century.
  • Develop intercultural competencies and be able to work effectively and efficiently in another culture.
  • Acquire new skills and gain an edge in the global marketplace.
  • Explore your own potential.
  • Become more independent, adaptable, and confident.
  • Improve your language and communication skills.
  • Stay on track for graduation by earning MU credit for international courses.

Who helps me plan this and what is my first step?

The Global Education Office (GEO) is located in the Student Center, Lower Level. Here you will find the assistance you need to make a study abroad experience a reality. Be sure to attend a ‘Study Abroad 101’ info. session held on Wednesdays at 2:45 pm during Fall 2022 in Pozycki Hall, Rm. 205 and Spring 2023 in Pozycki Hall, Rm. 204.

Can a student of any major participate in a Global Program?

Yes, a student of any major can participate in a study abroad experience. For some students, however, it may require more careful planning. For example, if you are an education major, it may be better to go abroad during your sophomore year when you are still taking many of the General Education requirements. Or, you can ‘save’ a few elective credits or General Education requirements, such as the aesthetics or social science requirements. Generally, these types of courses are easier to find abroad than your major requirements. Check with the Global Education Office for class offerings abroad.

How far in advance do I apply?

You should begin the academic planning for study abroad from the time you enter the University as a first-year student. It’s important to work with your advisor regarding available courses well before the departure semester.  You would apply for a spring program at the start of the prior fall semester and for fall and summer programs at the start of the prior spring semester. Check your Monmouth e-mail often for study abroad-related information and due dates. Students are also encouraged to check out the ‘Initial Information Packets’ under each country tab that will take you through the application process.

How will I be graded?

Commencing Summer 2020, students attending the Study Abroad programs will have all grades listed on their transcript, and those grades calculated into their grade point average (GPA). Institutional credit will be granted for all earned grades.

Does study abroad satisfy my Experiential Education requirement?

Yes, provided that you enroll in and pass a minimum of 6 credits.

What types of classes can I take?

Just about anything you need to fulfill your curriculum requirements for your Monmouth degree. You can take General Education courses, as well as major and minor requirements. However, it may be easier to find general education courses and electives abroad than courses to fulfill your major, depending on what that major is.