Monmouth University recommends certification to the New Jersey Department of Education (NJDOE) Office of Licensing and Credentials on behalf of students who:
- Complete all required coursework for their area of certification. You must possess a major, or its equivalent, in a specialty area in order to qualify for certification in that area. Simply attaining a passing score on a Praxis Series II test does not make you eligible for certification in that area.
- Apply for graduation through the Office of Registration and Records.
- Pass all required Praxis test(s) for their area(s) of certification. Official score reports from ETS must be submitted to the Certification, Field Placements and School Partnerships Office prior to clinical practice. Spanish, Chinese and ESL students must also provide documented proof of a passing score on the ACTFL – OPI and WPT (as applicable) prior to student teaching.
- Meet the NJ Physiology and Hygiene requirement.
- Meet the GPA requirements: Undergraduate 3.0; Graduate 3.0.
- All NJ certification applications will be reviewed and submitted through the Office of Certification, Field Placements and School Partnerships office.
- Expediting the certification process is possible if you have a definite offer of employment. A copy of a letter of intent to hire or a copy of your contract must be submitted prior to certification.
NJ Three-Step Process for Newly-Licensed Teachers
- CEAS – The Certificate of Eligibility with Advanced Standing (CEAS) is a credential issued to an individual who HAS completed a teacher preparation program and has met the basic requirements for certification including academic study and applicable test requirements. The CEAS authorizes an individual to seek and accept employment in NJ public schools requiring certification. The CEAS is issued to an individual who does NOT hold a NJ Standard certificate or has NOT completed two years of full-time teaching under a valid out-of-state instructional certificate.
- Provisional – This two-year certificate is requested by the employing school district for a newly hired teacher after an individual obtains a CE or CEAS and a full-time teaching position. This certificate legalizes employment. Both mentoring and supervision and evaluation are required under this certificate. Alternate route teachers will also be required to complete formal instruction. Please visit the Provisional Teacher Program (PTP) page for more details. Note that an individual cannot apply for this certificate. Rather, it is the employing district that applies for this certificate on behalf of the applicant.
- Standard – This is a permanent certificate issued to an individual who has met all requirements for state certification. This certificate is issued to an individual who has successfully completed the PTP program, holds a previously issued NJ instructional certificate, or holds a valid out-of-state instructional certificate equivalent standard instructional certificate and has at least two effective years of teaching that were completed within three consecutive years within the last four calendar years.
What if I plan to teach in another state?
Determine what reciprocity agreement exists between that state and New Jersey. Contact the department of education in the new state for information regarding requirements. Use www.certificationmap.com for state-specific information on how to become a teacher, salaries, credentials, certification tests, and reciprocity.
How can I check on the status of my license?
Teachers Certification Information System – ASC: https://www-doe.state.nj.us/DOE_TCIS_ASC/app
Can I apply for a NJ license if I am not a US citizen?
You must complete a Non-Citizen Oath of Allegiance form and a Non-Citizen Affidavit of Intent to Become a Citizen form indicating your intention to become a naturalized citizen of the United States (forms are available in the Certification, Field Placements and School Partnerships Office). Students who are in the US on a student visa are not eligible.
For more information please refer to the NJDOE Licensure & Credentials site at www.teachercertificationdegrees.com/certification/new-jersey/.