Close Close

New Jersey Teaching Certification

Monmouth University recommends certification to the New Jersey Department of Education (NJDOE) Office of Licensing and Credentials on behalf of students who:

Instructional Endorsements

  1. Complete all required coursework for their area of certification. You must possess a major, or its equivalent, in a specialty area in order to qualify for certification in that area. Simply attaining a passing score on a Praxis Series II test does not make you eligible for certification in that area.
  2. Apply for graduation through the Office of Registration and Records.
  3. Pass all required Praxis test(s) for their area(s) of certification. Official score reports from ETS must be submitted to the Certification, Field Placements and School Partnerships Office prior to clinical practice. Spanish, Chinese and ESL students must also provide documented proof of a passing score on the ACTFL – OPI and WPT (as applicable) prior to clinical practice.
  4. Meet the NJ Physiology and Hygiene requirement.
  5. Meet the GPA requirements: Undergraduate 3.0; Graduate 3.0.
  6. All recommendations for certification will be submitted through the Office of Certification, Field Placements and School Partnerships.

NJ Three-Step Process for Newly-Licensed Teachers

  • CEAS – The Certificate of Eligibility with Advanced Standing (CEAS) is a credential issued to an individual who HAS completed a teacher preparation program and has met the basic requirements for certification including academic study and applicable test requirements. The CEAS authorizes an individual to seek and accept employment in NJ public schools requiring certification. The CEAS is issued to an individual who does NOT hold a NJ Standard certificate or has NOT completed two years of full-time teaching under a valid out-of-state instructional certificate.
  • Provisional – This two-year certificate is requested by the employing school district for a newly hired teacher after an individual obtains a CE or CEAS and a full-time teaching position. This certificate legalizes employment. Both mentoring and supervision and evaluation are required under this certificate. Alternate route teachers will also be required to complete formal instruction. Please visit the Provisional Teacher Program (PTP) page for more details. Note that an individual cannot apply for this certificate. Rather, it is the employing district that applies for this certificate on behalf of the applicant.
  • Standard – This is a permanent certificate issued to an individual who has met all requirements for state certification. This certificate is issued to an individual who has successfully completed the PTP program, holds a previously issued NJ instructional certificate, or holds a valid out-of-state instructional certificate equivalent standard instructional certificate and has at least two effective years of teaching that were completed within three consecutive years within the last four calendar years.

Frequently Asked Questions Regarding Teacher Certification

What if I plan to teach in another state?

Determine what reciprocity agreement exists between that state and New Jersey. Contact the Department of Education in the new state for information regarding requirements. Contact the Department of Education in that state for state-specific information on becoming a teacher, salaries, credentials, certification tests, and reciprocity. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact 732-571-7558 or email

How can I check on the status of my license?

New Jersey Educator Certification – NJEdCert:

Can I apply for a NJ license if I am not a US citizen?

Yes, if you are not a US Citizen, you can apply for an NJ License. Non-U.S. citizens who wish to instruct in New Jersey can receive a certification. Applicants must meet all state certificate requirements and be working towards U.S. citizenship to be allowed to renew their license.