Close Close

Frequently Asked Undergraduate Advising Questions

Why is there a minimum GPA requirement?
The New Jersey Department of Education in conjunction with Monmouth University requires all teacher candidates to maintain a 3.0 GPA. In addition to the GPA requirement students must receive a minimum grade of “C” in all required Education courses.

What if my GPA falls below 3.0?
Your GPA will be evaluated by the Chair and your advisor. Based on your GPA and their evaluation, you will be either considered for a probationary semester (at the end of which you must reach the GPA of 3.0) or be advised to change your major. If your GPA falls below the minimum requirement, contact your Education advisor. When your GPA increases, we hope to see you return to the School of Education.

Why do I have two advisors?
All Secondary Education students at Monmouth University are required to have a second major in the arts or sciences. You are considered a dual major; therefore, you must seek advisement from your two major departments. Elementary Education students who choose a dual major will also have two advisors. 

What are the subject areas?
Anthropology, Art, Biology, Chemistry, Chemistry/Physical Science, English, English/Creative Writing, Health/Physical Education, History, History/Political Science, Interdisciplinary Studies, Political Science, Mathematics, Music, and Spanish.

What Grade levels are available?

  • Early Childhood through 3rd (P-3) with Teacher of Students with Disabilities (TSD)
  • Elementary (K-6) with Teacher of Students with Disabilities
  • Secondary (Middle and High School)
  • Specialty K-12 (Art, Music, Spanish and Health/Physical Education only)

What other major options are available?

  • Interdisciplinary/Elementary Education (K-6) and Teacher of Students with Disabilities (TSD)
  • Early Childhood (P-3)/Teacher of Students with Disabilities (TSD)
  • Early Childhood (P-3)/ Elementary (K-6) and Teacher of Students with Disabilities (TSD)

Students will have one Education advisor.

What endorsements are available to enhance my education and marketability?

  • Early Childhood (P-3) (Elementary)
  • Middle School (5-8) (Elementary)
  • Teacher of Students with Disabilities (Secondary and K-12)
  • English as a Second Language (ESL) (all majors)

Why do we have some courses in the public schools?
In order to become a competent teacher, you need to practice the craft in multiple settings over a period of years. Taking a course in a school district gives students a rich, in-depth experience and an opportunity to work with mentors. The courses take place in our K-12 University School Partnership districts.

When can I get my Substitute Teaching License?
You are eligible to apply for your substitute teaching license after you have completed a minimum of 60 semester hour credits at an accredited university; Successful criminal history qualification letter and fingerprinting; Evidence of negative Mantoux (TB) test.

What is Clinical Experience?
Clinical experience is the diverse, guided, applications and demonstrations of professional knowledge, skills, and dispositions. Through your placements you will receive integrated, collaborative, and facilitated learning and practice. The activities and responsibilities take place across a variety of settings and are integrated throughout your educator preparation program.

What is Clinical Practice?
Clinical practice is the yearlong field-based internship, culminating in the last semester of student teaching. In addition to, there are on-campus seminars and focus groups.

When can I do my Clinical Practice (Student Teaching)?
The final semester of the Clinical Practice (Student Teaching) is the last class taken as a senior. You must complete all program requirements, all required clinical experience, and all test requirements prior to beginning the Clinical Practice.

Can I perform my Clinical Practice in my home town, or out of state?
The Office of Certification, Field Placements, and School Partnership Office places all students. Students are generally placed in Monmouth, Middlesex or Ocean counties. All students are required to have placements in diverse settings.