Graduate Social Work Application Requirements
Master of Social Work MSW
MSW Specialization: Global and Community Practice
MSW Specialization: Clinical Practice with Families and Children
- Possession of a baccalaureate degree with a minimum 2.75 overall GPA and a minimum 3.0 GPA in the undergraduate major. Social work education is grounded in the liberal arts and contains a coherent, integrated professional foundation in social work (Council on Social Work Education–Educational Policy and Accreditation Standards). MSW applicants with a baccalaureate degree are required to have a strong liberal arts background with a minimum of one 3-credit course in each of the four areas of English, math, biology, and psychology. None of these four classes may be a CLEP*, they must be taken as college-level credit bearing classes. The program also prefers course work in history, sociology, political science, anthropology, and economics.
*CLEP College-Level Examination Program®
- Three completed Monmouth University School of Social Work recommendation forms.
Recommendations must be submitted by professional references, and not by friends or relatives.
- Narrative (four to five pages, double spaced) in response to the questions outlined on the Autobiographical Statement Form.
- Candidates for Advanced standing must have completed a course in statistics within the last six years.
- In instances where the admissions committee has questions about an applicant’s references, personal statement, or academic record, the applicant may be required to attend an interview as part of the admissions process.
Social Work Certificate Program: Play Therapy (Post-Master’s)
- A master’s degree in a medical or mental health discipline (ex: MSN, MSW, MA), and eligibility for licensure in that discipline.