Our Foundation is pleased to announce the availability of multiple scholarships for the 2020-2021 academic year, made possible by the Betsy Niles Scholarship Fund, the Missy’s Miracle Scholarship Fund and the Hearts for Emma Partner Fund.
Betsy Niles Scholarship
The Betsy Niles scholarship is offered in memory of Betsy Niles, a children’s book editor and lifelong resident of Montclair. Betsy died in 2011 and, in keeping with her tradition of lifelong giving, her organs were donated. Betsy was known for always giving the perfect gift for every occasion. Betsy’s last gift was the greatest gift of all, the gift of life.
Missy’s Miracle Scholarship
Missy’s Miracle was created in celebration of the 30th Anniversary of Missy Rodriguez’s liver transplant. The program directly supports scholarships to high school students.
Hearts for Emma
The Hearts for Emma Partner Fund was created to directly support The Hero Act through the production and distribution of educational materials and related programs teaching the importance of organ and tissue donation and transplantation.
- Student must be a New Jersey resident
- Student must be a full time high school senior, who will be entering college in Fall 2020
- Student must be must be an organ and tissue donation awareness advocate or personally affected by, or a family member of, someone personally affected by organ and tissue donation and transplantation (i.e.: organ and/or tissue donor, living donor, transplant recipient, waiting for a transplant, or died waiting for a transplant).
- Student must be in good academic standing
- Employees of NJSN or the NJSN Foundation, their spouse and/or children are not eligible for scholarship consideration.
- Board Members of NJSN and the NJSN Foundation, their spouse and/or children are not eligible for scholarship consideration.
*Donation Awareness Advocacy: Organ and tissue donation awareness involves educating the general public about the importance of donation. A students’ advocacy and involvement in activities to promote organ, tissue and cornea donation as donation education and advocacy are major factors in determining scholarship awards.