To be eligible, an applicant must satisfy the below requirements in full:
- Applicant must be a legal resident of the United States of America under the age of 25
- Applicant must have been diagnosed with and/or been actively treated for a chronic, life threatening or life debilitating disease within the past 5 years.
- Applicant must be pursuing a Bachelor’s degree or higher.
- Applicant must complete Scholarship for Survivors application in full (Part A-E)
- Applicant must write an essay on how their diagnosis has impacted their life and their future goals (1000 word maximum).
- Applicant must submit written documentation from a treating physician that outlines applicants’ medical history.
- Applicant must provide two letters of recommendation from non-related persons (examples: teachers, coaches, community leaders). Reference letters must be submitted on business letterhead and include signatory’s contact information within the letter.
- Applicant must provide an OFFICIAL high school and/or current college transcript (to include school seal); whichever is applicable.
- Applicant must submit completed financial form (Part E)that will demonstrate financial need and include a copy of the first two pages of tax return for the individual claiming student as a dependent.
- If a tax return was not filed, please provide an official letter of non-fling from the IRS and complete the “Declaration of No Income Form”
For further information, contact Shawn Nason at firstname.lastname@example.org or (757) 952-1370.
Scholarship Amount and Distribution
- Selected applicants will receive $3,000 annually up to four consecutive years, as long as they meet the guidelines of the program.
- The award is payable in equal amounts of $1,500 (per semester/trimester/quarter) directly to the college or university for the purpose of defraying tuition, books and other fee costs.
If selected as a recipient, below are the requirements to maintain the scholarship:
- Please note that, should you be accepted as a finalist in the PAF Scholarship Program, you will be asked to accept the award by doing the following promptly upon request: Complete Scholarship Acceptance Form; Agree to media release terms and conditions.
- Provide a personal bio (250 words or less) and self-portrait/headshots (at least 300 dpi) for publication.
- Must maintain a cumulative 3.0 G.P.A.
- Must be a full time student.
- Must sign an agreement to complete 20 hours of community service for the year the scholarship will be dispensed and provide PAF with a confirmation when that service has been completed to include a signature of supervisor.
*Failure to meet any/all of these requirements is a violation of the award and the recipient will be responsible for repayment of the award monies.