The Urban Coast Institute (UCI) has formed a Faculty Advisory Council to provide it with guidance and new perspectives for enhancing academic and student engagement at Monmouth University. The inaugural council includes 13 members representing a broad spectrum of academic disciplines and departments across campus.
Among its roles and responsibilities, the council will assist in integrating the UCI more fully into Monmouth’s academic programs to initiate high-impact opportunities for teaching, scholarship, research and service, and to aid in student recruitment. The council will also serve as a liaison with Monmouth schools, departments, faculty and programs to increase understanding and support of the UCI mission.
It is anticipated that council members will help the UCI identify opportunities to contribute to program and course development, support in the delivery of academic programming and assist in identifying support for student research, internship/externships, service learning, community service and employment opportunities. The council will work with UCI to create, host and promote symposia and events on campus.
The faculty members below will join the council along with the UCI’s three current affiliated faculty members: Randall Abate, Rechnitz Family/UCI endowed chair in marine and environmental law and policy, Department of Political Science and Sociology; Jason Adolf, endowed associate professor of marine science, Department of Biology; and Eric Fesselmeyer, associate professor of economics, Department of Economics, Finance, and Real Estate.
- Kimberly Callas, assistant professor, Department of Art and Design
- John Comiskey, assistant professor, Department of Criminal Justice
- Michael Cronin, associate professor, School of Social Work
- Geoffrey Fouad, assistant professor, Department of History and Anthropology
- Jeanne Koller, assistant professor, School of Social Work
- Golam Mathbor, professor, School of Social Work
- Tiffany Medley, lecturer, Department of Biology
- Lindsay Mehrkam, assistant professor, Department of Psychology
- Claude Taylor, director for academic transition and inclusion, Center for Student Success
- Laura Turner, assistant professor, Department of Mathematics
The council was formed through an open process that encouraged all interested faculty to submit letters of interest in the spring of 2021. For more information about the Faculty Advisory Council, contact UCI Associate Director Thomas Herrington at firstname.lastname@example.org.