Living and Learning Communities (LLC) are residential programs in which students with a common interest live together and participate in shared academic courses and activities. LLCs are transformative educational experiences in which academic and student life are interdependent leading to success in college and beyond. LLCs help facilitate transition from high school to college, positively encourage higher levels of engagement in university life and increase student success in grades and satisfaction. Additionally, students who take part in LLCs often have a greater openness to diversity.
Monmouth University currently has one Living and Learning Community – Summer Scholars.
Summer Scholars supports students’ intellectual growth by giving them the opportunity to engage in scholarship during the summer. The Program allows students to live on campus over the summer in a living-learning community with other Summer Scholars while working collaboratively with a faculty member on a scholarly project.
Any undergraduate student with at least 2 semesters remaining after the conclusion of the summer program
- Free on-campus housing during the program (typically late May to end of June)
- Students receive a $3000 stipend
- Faculty mentors receive a $1,500 stipend
- Project Budget of $500 for any necessary supplies and project support
- Opportunity for interdisciplinary exposure and potential collaboration through group meetings of all Summer Scholars
- Students complete and submit the application after consultation with Faculty Mentor, including a proposed budget for the $500 dollar project support funding.
- Students will be expected to live on campus during the program, not hold a full-time job during the program, and to present their work during the subsequent spring semester Scholarship Week.
- Application available on the MyMU Portal (listed under the For Your Information section).
- Applications will be evaluated by a selection committee based on potential for publication/presentation/broader dissemination.
- For important dates and additional details, please visit the Summer Scholars section on the myMU Portal.