Rechnitz Hall, named in honor of Joan Rechnitz ’84 ’12HN and her husband, Professor Emeritus Robert Rechnitz, is a three-story 20,340-square foot structure that is home to the department of Art and Design within the Wayne D. McMurray School of Humanities and Social Sciences.
The facility, which opened in 2013 contains state-of-the art visual arts space, workshops, classrooms, and faculty offices centered on the DiMattio Gallery, which is named for longtime arts professor, Vincent DiMattio.
The design of the building intentionally evokes the façade of the previous “800 Building,” designed by architect Henry Edward Cregier and constructed in 1902. The original structure contained a stable and carriage house, along with a windmill and water tower. Structurally deficient and non-compliant with the Americans with Disabilities Act, the 800 Building was razed in 2011