Dean, School of Education
Ph.D. Educational Psychology, Kent State University, Ohio
MEd, Vocational Education, Kent State University, Ohio
B.S., General Agriculture, The Pennsylvania State University, PA
- McAllan Hall, Room 117
- CV URL
Dr. John Henning, dean of the School of Education, is an experienced educational practitioner, researcher, and leader. His primary research interests include practice-based teacher education, teacher development, instructional decision-making, and classroom discourse. These interests developed from more than twenty years of experience as a high school teacher. Dr. Henning is an active scholar and researcher, with more than 50 publications. His fourth book, entitled
Building Mentoring Capacity in Teacher Education: A Guide to Clinically-Based Teacher Education will be released later this year by Routledge.
- Research Interests
Dr. Henning has more than 50 publications; including three books, over thirty refereed journal articles, and seven book chapters. His primary research interests include practice-based teacher education, teacher development, instructional decision-making, and classroom discourse. These interests developed from more than twenty years of experience as a high school teacher.
- Henning, J. E., Gut, D.M., & Beam, P.C. (in press) Building mentoring capacity in teacher education: A guide to clinically-based practice. New York: Rutledge
- Henning, J.E., Kohler, F.W., Robinson, V., & Wilson, B. (2009). Improving teacher quality: Using the teacher work sample to make evidence-based decisions. Lanham, MD: Rowman and Littlefield.
- Henning, J.E., Stone, J., & Kelly, J. (2009). Using action research to improve instruction: An interactive guide for teachers. New York: Routledge.
- Henning, J.E. (2008). The art of discussion-based teaching: Opening up conversation in the classroom. New York: Routledge.
- Scholarly Articles
- Henning, J.E., Bragen, B.F.. Mulvaney,T., George, W.O., III. (in press) A sustainable teacher residency: Designing paid internships for teacher education. School-University Partnerships. The Journal of the National Association for Professional Development Schools.
- Henning, J.E., Bragen, B.F., Jr., Mulvaney, T., George, W.O., III, Duffy, G., Aldarelli, E., Grabowski, C., Harriott, W., Riddle, M., Falco, J., Heaney, P., Earle, C., Foster, L., & Borlan, C. (2018). The Monmouth University partnership: Redesigning practice. School-University Partnerships. The Journal of the National Association for Professional Development Schools, (11) 1, 3-8.
- Henning, J.E., McKeny, T., Weade, G., Dani, D.E., Rice, L.J., & Xenos, A.J. (2018). Designing innovative teaching practice: A case study of Proc-c creativity. Teacher Education and Practice, 31(1), 81-100.
- Henning, J.E., Rice, L.J., Dani, D.E., Weade, G., & McKeny, T. (2017). Teachers’ perceptions of their most significant change: Source, impact, and process. Teacher Development: An International Journal of Teachers’ Professional Development, 21 (2), 388-403 . doi: 10.1080/13664530.2016.1243570
- Henning, J.E., & Duffy, G. (2017). Design features for a yearlong clinical experience: Measuring student learning and using performance-based assessments. PDS Partners, 12 (3), 1, 3-5.
- Ahmadi, S., Henning, J.E., & Goli, F. (2017). Awakening teachers to their presence: An experiential course in body wisdom. The Practitioner Scholar: Journal of Counseling and Professional Psychology, 6 (1), 92-107.
- Velempini, K. Martin, B., Ward Randolph, A., & Henning, J.E. (2017). Environmental education in southern Africa: A case study of a secondary school in the Okavango Delta of Botswana. Environmental Education Research (CEER) doi: 10.1080/13504622.2017.1377158
- Henning, J.E., Erb, D., Randles, H.S., Shoener, H. Fults, N., & Webb, K. (2016). Designing a curriculum for clinical experiences. Issues in Teacher Education 25 (1), 23-38
- Henning, J.E., Gut, D., & Beam, P. (2015). Designing and implementing a mentoring program to serve a clinically based model of teacher preparation. The Teacher Educator I50, 145-162. www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/08878730.2015.1011046?journalCode=utte20
- Gut, D., Beam, P., Henning, J.E., Cochran, D., & Knight, R. (2014). Teachers’ perceptions of their mentoring role in three different clinical settings: Student teaching, early field experiences, and entry year teaching. Mentoring & Tutoring: A Partnership in Learning, 22 (3), 240-263. www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/13611267.2014.926664
- Hendrickson, K., Henning, J.E., & Spinell, A. (2013). Co-teaching with professional interns: A collaborative approach to improving student learning. Education in a Democracy: A Journal of the NNER, (5), 126-140.
- Howley, M.D., Howley, A., Henning, J.E., Gillam, M.B. & Weade, G. (2013). Intersecting domains for assessment knowledge: School typologies based on interviews with teachers. Journal of Educational Assessment, 18 (1), 26-48.
- Henning, J.E., McKeny, T., Foley, G.D., & Balong, M. (2012). Mathematics discussions by design: Creating opportunities for purposeful participation. Journal of Mathematics Teacher Education, 15(6), 453-479. doi: 0.1007/s10857-012-9224-1
- Henning, J.E., Dani, D.E., & Weade, G. (2012). The discourse and reflections of teacher candidates during an early field experience. The New Educator, 8, 283-307. www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/1547688X.2012.726586
- Henning, J.E., Hawbaker, B.W. Lee, D.S., & McDonald, C.F. (2010). Growing a multi-site professional development school in Ravid, R. & Slater, J. (Eds.), Collaboration in Education (pp. 26-34). New York: Routledge.
- Kohler, F.W., Henning, J.E., & Usma Wilches, J. (2008). Preparing preservice teachers to make instructional decisions: An examination of teacher work samples. Teaching and Teacher Education, 24(8), 2108-2117.
- Henning, J. E. (2002). Expanding relationships: A semiotic description of development in the interpretation and organization of text. The American Journal of Semiotics, 18, 145-160.