John E. Henning, Ph.D.
John Henning, Ph.D., dean of the School of Education, is an experienced educational practitioner, researcher, and leader. His primary research interests include practice-based teacher education, teacher development, instructional decision-making, and classroom discourse. These interests developed from more than 20 years of experience as a high school teacher. Henning is also an active scholar and researcher, with more than 50 publications. His fourth book, titled Building Mentoring Capacity in Teacher Education: A Guide to Clinically-Based Teacher Education was recently released by Routledge.
Ph.D. Educational Psychology, Kent State University, Ohio
M.Ed., Vocational Education, Kent State University, Ohio
B.S., General Agriculture, The Pennsylvania State University, PA
Henning has more than 50 publications including three books, over 30 refereed journal articles, and seven book chapters. His primary research interests include practice-based teacher education, teacher development, instructional decision-making, and classroom discourse. These interests developed from more than 20 years of experience as a high school teacher.
- Henning, J. E., Gut, D.M., & Beam, P.C. (2019) Building mentoring capacity in teacher education: A guide to clinically-based practice. New York: Rutledge. https://www.amazon.com/Building-Mentoring-Capacity-Teacher-Education/dp/0815366035.
- Henning, J.E., Kohler, F.W., Robinson, V., & Wilson, B. (2009). Improving teacher quality: Using the teacher work sample to make evidence-based decisions. Lanham, MD: Rowman and Littlefield.
- Henning, J.E., Stone, J., & Kelly, J. (2009). Using action research to improve instruction: An interactive guide for teachers. New York: Routledge.
- Henning, J.E. (2008). The art of discussion-based teaching: Opening up conversation in the classroom. New York: Routledge.
- Henning, J.E. (2019). A practice-based approach to teacher educator learning: The foundation for innovation in teacher education. Professing Education 17, (1&2). 65-79.
- Henning, J.E. (2019). The gifted practitioner. In Judith A. Bazler, Meta L. Van Sickle,Julie Swanson, & Kathryn Lubniewski (Eds.). Identifying, Describing, and Developing Teachers Who Are Gifted and Talented (pp. 22- 36). Hershey, PA: IGI Global.
- Henning, J.E. (2018). Seeing “structure” in text: Eleventh graders’ perception of relationship in essay writing. Educational Studies. DOI.org/10.1080/03055698.2018.1534085
- Henning, J.E., Bragen, B.F.. Mulvaney,T., George, W.O., III. (2018). A sustainable teacher residency: Designing paid internships for teacher education. School-University Partnerships. The Journal of the National Association for Professional Development Schools.
- Henning, J.E., Bragen, B.F., Jr., Mulvaney, T., George, W.O., III, Duffy, G., Aldarelli, E., Grabowski, C., Harriott, W., Riddle, M., Falco, J., Heaney, P., Earle, C., Foster, L., & Borlan, C. (2018). The Monmouth University partnership: Redesigning practice. School-University Partnerships. The Journal of the National Association for Professional Development Schools, (11) 1, 3-8.
- Henning, J.E., McKeny, T., Weade, G., Dani, D.E., Rice, L.J., & Xenos, A.J. (2018). Designing innovative teaching practice: A case study of Proc-c creativity. Teacher Education and Practice, 31(1), 81-100.
- Henning, J.E., Rice, L.J., Dani, D.E., Weade, G., & McKeny, T. (2017). Teachers’ perceptions of their most significant change: Source, impact, and process. Teacher Development: An International Journal of Teachers’ Professional Development, 21 (2), 388-403 . doi: 10.1080/13664530.2016.1243570
- Henning, J.E., & Duffy, G. (2017). Design features for a yearlong clinical experience: Measuring student learning and using performance-based assessments. PDS Partners, 12 (3), 1, 3-5.
- Ahmadi, S., Henning, J.E., & Goli, F. (2017). Awakening teachers to their presence: An experiential course in body wisdom. The Practitioner Scholar: Journal of Counseling and Professional Psychology, 6 (1), 92-107.
- Velempini, K. Martin, B., Ward Randolph, A., & Henning, J.E. (2017). Environmental education in southern Africa: A case study of a secondary school in the Okavango Delta of Botswana. Environmental Education Research (CEER) doi: 10.1080/13504622.2017.1377158
- Henning, J.E., Erb, D., Randles, H.S., Shoener, H. Fults, N., & Webb, K. (2016). Designing a curriculum for clinical experiences. Issues in Teacher Education 25 (1), 23-38
- Henning, J.E., Gut, D., & Beam, P. (2015). Designing and implementing a mentoring program to serve a clinically based model of teacher preparation. The Teacher Educator I50, 145-162. www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/08878730.2015.1011046?journalCode=utte20
- Gut, D., Beam, P., Henning, J.E., Cochran, D., & Knight, R. (2014). Teachers’ perceptions of their mentoring role in three different clinical settings: Student teaching, early field experiences, and entry year teaching. Mentoring & Tutoring: A Partnership in Learning, 22 (3), 240-263. www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/13611267.2014.926664
- Hendrickson, K., Henning, J.E., & Spinell, A. (2013). Co-teaching with professional interns: A collaborative approach to improving student learning. Education in a Democracy: A Journal of the NNER, (5), 126-140.
- Howley, M.D., Howley, A., Henning, J.E., Gillam, M.B. & Weade, G. (2013). Intersecting domains for assessment knowledge: School typologies based on interviews with teachers. Journal of Educational Assessment, 18 (1), 26-48.
- Henning, J.E., McKeny, T., Foley, G.D., & Balong, M. (2012). Mathematics discussions by design: Creating opportunities for purposeful participation. Journal of Mathematics Teacher Education, 15(6), 453-479. doi: 0.1007/s10857-012-9224-1
- Henning, J.E., Dani, D.E., & Weade, G. (2012). The discourse and reflections of teacher candidates during an early field experience. The New Educator, 8, 283-307. www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/1547688X.2012.726586
- Henning, J.E., Hawbaker, B.W. Lee, D.S., & McDonald, C.F. (2010). Growing a multi-site professional development school in Ravid, R. & Slater, J. (Eds.), Collaboration in Education (pp. 26-34). New York: Routledge.
- Kohler, F.W., Henning, J.E., & Usma Wilches, J. (2008). Preparing preservice teachers to make instructional decisions: An examination of teacher work samples. Teaching and Teacher Education, 24(8), 2108-2117.
- Henning, J. E. (2002). Expanding relationships: A semiotic description of development in the interpretation and organization of text. The American Journal of Semiotics, 18, 145-160.
Frequently Taught Classes
Recently Taught Classes
2021 Summer E
2021 Summer B
2020 Summer E
2019 Summer E
Adjunct Professor Villarreal and Dean Henning Publish on Teacher Residency Program
Nov 11, 2020
CAEP Honors for School of Education
Oct 28, 2020
Monmouth University Honors Three Outstanding New Jersey High School Teachers at Annual Dinner
May 22, 2019
Monmouth University School of Education Releases New Issue of Annual Magazine
Jan 2, 2019