Skip to main content

COVID-19 Vaccination FAQs

Updated: Wednesday, Sept. 8, 2021

What COVID-19 vaccines are currently being distributed?

The COVID-19 vaccines currently being used at distribution sites are manufactured by Pfizer, Moderna, and Johnson & Johnson/Janssen (J&J). The Pfizer and Moderna vaccines are messenger RNA vaccines—also called mRNA vaccines while the J&J vaccine uses a more traditional virus-based technology.

How many doses are required of the COVID-19 vaccines and how far apart?

Both the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines require two doses.  The Pfizer vaccine is dosed 21 days apart.  The Moderna vaccine is dosed 28 days apart.  The J&J is a one-dose vaccine.

How effective are the vaccines?

The Pfizer vaccine reaches 95% effectiveness one week after the second dose.  The Moderna vaccine reaches 94% effectiveness two weeks after the second dose.  The J&J vaccine is 66.3% effective two weeks after the single dose.

What happens if my second vaccine is delayed?

You can receive the second vaccine within six weeks of the first vaccine without losing any efficacy.

Where can I receive a vaccine?

Most pharmacies that offer vaccinations, hospital systems, and community health centers have one or more of the COVID-19 vaccines available to you at no cost.  Monmouth University is partnering with healthcare entities to offer on-campus vaccinations. Emails will be sent to the University community as COVID-19 vaccination clinics are announced throughout the fall. 

I am an international student who has been vaccinated in my home country.  Will Monmouth University accept my vaccination?

Monmouth University is accepting World Health Organization (WHO)-authorized COVID-19 vaccines. Questions regarding COVID-19 vaccination for international students can be forwarded to:

Which lasts longer, immunity after getting COVID-19 or protection from COVID-19 vaccines?

The protection someone gains from having an infection (called “natural immunity”) varies depending on the disease, and it varies from person to person. Because this virus is new, we don’t know how long natural immunity might last. Current evidence suggests that getting the virus again (reinfection) is uncommon in the 90 days after first infection with the virus that causes COVID-19.

We won’t know how long immunity lasts after vaccination until we have more data on how well COVID-19 vaccines work in the upcoming year.  It is thought that a booster vaccine may be warranted. 

Is a COVID-19 antibody test evidence of immunity?

At the present time, both the CDC and FDA do not recommend using serologic antibody testing as a means to demonstrate COVID-19 immunity.  Antibody testing reflects the presence or non-presence of antibodies.  It is not medically known what level (quantity) of antibody is needed to provide protective immunity. 

I do not want to receive any of the COVID-19 vaccines.  What are my options?

You may submit a personally created document for immunization exemption for religious or personal reasons outlined below, or documentation from a healthcare provider for a medical exemption. Monmouth University does not supply a form for these exemptions.

What are the options for immunization exemption?

There are three types of exemptions for immunization, each requiring a signed and dated document:

  • Medical Exemption:  This is a statement signed by a healthcare provider outlining why it is medically unsafe for a person to receive vaccination. 
  • Religious Exemption:  This is a personal statement requesting exemption from immunization based upon religious beliefs.
  • Personal Exemption:  This is a personal statement requesting exemption from vaccination based upon Emergency Use Authorization (EUA) status of COVID-19 vaccines

Who can file for an immunization exemption?

Persons who are 18 years and older need to submit and sign a request for a personal or religious immunization exemption.  Parents or guardians of students may only submit a request for exemption for their students aged <18 years.  This is filed as a temporary exemption until the student turns 18 years of age.  Once the student is 18 years old, they need to submit their own exemption as a legal adult.

How do I submit my COVID-19 Vaccination Card or file for Immunization Exemption?

Submitting Your COVID-19 Vaccination Card or Immunization Exemption:

For both students and employees seeking immunization exemption:  create their own personal statement for religious or personal exemptions and save to your personal device.  Medical exemption statements must come from a healthcare provider.

  • Save an image of your Vaccination Card or Immunization Exemption document to your device.
    • Image must be saved as a: .ig, .png, .tif, .jpg or jpeg OR .pdf file.
    • File name must be 20 characters or less and contain only letters and/or numbers.

Log into MyMu.

Student: Access the private and confidential Student Health Portal found under the “I Need To…” tab.

Employees: Access the private and confidential Health Portal under the Systems tab.

Here are the steps to submit documentation:

  • Once in the Health Portal:
    • At the top, Login with your usual Monmouth username and password
  • Choose Upload
  • Use the drop down arrow to select the type of document you are uploading:
    • Select COVID-19 Vaccination Card or Immunization Exemption Document.
  • Select the saved file from your device
  • Select Upload.
  • You’re Done!

If you are unable to upload your document you may also submit in any of the following ways:

  • Fax to Health Services:  732-263-5353
  • Email:
    • Please send image/document as an attachment.
  • Mail or hand in to Health Services

What is the deadline to submit COVID-19 vaccination or Immunization Exemption?

Students: August 1, 2021
Employees: August 2, 2021

I am a commuter and/or graduate student, do I need to submit COVID-19 vaccination or an immunization exemption?

Yes, documentation requirements apply to any student who has classes on campus or at the graduate center.  This also includes meetings that occur as part of the course/program curriculum. 

I have chosen to take an immunization exemption, what is expected of me?

You must wear a mask any time you are indoors.

  • You are required to participate in weekly surveillance testing.  This applies to any unvaccinated residential, commuter, graduate student or employee.
  • If a residential student, a negative COVID-19 test is needed within 72 hours prior to move-in.  Cost of pre-arrival testing is the responsibility of the student.  Additional instructions will be available later this summer. 
  • Use the Campus Clear symptom tracking app whenever reporting to campus.
  • If you test positive, you must isolate for 10 days from first date of positive test. 
    • You must cooperate with members of the University Response and Tracing Teams
    • You may not return to campus life until cleared by the University.
  • If you are a direct contact of a positive case, you must quarantine for 10 days from date of last contact with the positive case.
    • You need to have a negative COVID-19 test between days 5 and 7.
    • You may not return to campus life until cleared by the University.
  • In the event of an outbreak, unvaccinated persons should have a personal plan if directed by the University to remove themselves from campus. 

If I received a COVID-19 vaccine, do I still have to participate in ongoing COVID-19 surveillance testing?


If I am unvaccinated what can I expect with weekly COVID-19 surveillance testing?

Weekly surveillance testing will be conducted at a centralized campus location.  In Spring 2021 a very successful pooled surveillance testing program was implemented using a self-swab nasal test similar to those conducted at Walgreens, CVS, and Rite Aid.  The swab is self-administered; it is quick and easy to do.  The same testing approach will be used for Fall 2021.  Unvaccinated persons will be forwarded additional instructions in late summer/early fall.  The University will cover the cost for pooled testing.  If a pool tests positive, individual tests are then billed to the student’s health insurance.

What is the University position regarding masking?

Masks are required for all persons both vaccinated and unvaccinated in all indoor spaces. Anyone with COVID-19 symptoms should report to the Health Center for symptomatic testing.

I think I might have COVID-19, how do I go about getting tested?

Call the Health Center 732-571-3464.  Health Services will conduct rapid COVID-19 testing at no cost with results in 15 minutes to determine if you are COVID-19 positive. 

I had COVID-19 and didn’t have any symptoms or just a mild stuffy nose. Why should I even bother getting the vaccine?

Vaccination is not just about protecting yourself but helps to protect the ones you love and people in the wider community.  It is not known how milder COVID-19 cases will hold up against some of the new, stronger COVID-19 variants.