UPDATE OF NOVEMBER 7, 2012
Dear MU Community,
[New Information in BOLD]
WINTER STORM ATHENA …. A strong Nor’easter is skirting our coast now and for the next 24 hours. While unlikely to be as fierce as Sandy, the weather will not be pleasant: rain, wind, occasional heavy. Heaviest wind right along the coast. Those a bit inland have a chance for snow. Currently, we intend to press on with classes today. Unfortunately, some areas may experience renewed power outages. The Student Dining Hall/Magill Commons has emergency power if the campus should lose power over the night. Marked improvement expected Thursday AM.
1. MU Status:
a. Power OK on main campus and at Monmouth Park Corp Center.
b. No power: Alumni House, Pier Village.
c. On-campus residence halls open.
d. Residents of the Pier Village see detailed message below.
e. Classes restarted today.
f. The Emergency Evacuation site in Boylan is down to fewer than 100 occupants; they are expected to be assigned to more permanent shelter today. MAC and Fitness Center are fully open.
g. Please include in your planning gasoline availability and rationing.
2. FOCUS, FOCUS, FOCUS:
“Not every student, and not every employee, will be able to return to campus (physically or electronically) as scheduled.
I recognize that.
Nonetheless, we intend to get back to normalcy for as many students as possible using as many faculty and employees as possible. Our goal now that the storm has passed is to help students get successfully to the end the semester and continue on their schedule to graduation.
I call on every faculty member and employee to again demonstrate your resourcefulness, agility, organizational and communication skills, and dedication to help our students to get to the semester’s end successfully. Thank you.”
3. Student Residents of Pier Village: SPECIAL NOTICE.
a. Pier Village has no power as of this morning.
b. Side streets near Pier Village are closed and patrolled by LBPD.
c. Because Pier Village has an electronic key system, therefore, no tenants can enter, even for brief visits, until power is restored.
d. All student residents of Pier Village should contact the Office of Residential Life for alternative living arrangements (for a brief time).
4. Commuter students with specific questions or concerns regarding non-academic issues should contact Student Services at (732)571-3417 or firstname.lastname@example.org
5. Day Camp for school age (5-13) children of Monmouth University employees whose schools are closed this week. VP (Athletics) Marilyn McNeil has volunteered to run a camp from Tuesday through Friday, 8:30AM to 5 PM daily on the second floor of the MAC. Box lunches will be provided at minimal cost. Athletics staff will supervise. Check-in will be at the front lobby of the MAC.
a. Race Conference, November 8-9: Postponed until spring.
b. Eric Meola booksigning scheduled for Thursday, November 8, 2012: Cancelled.
c. Student play, The Foreigner, shows scheduled for November 8-11 are Cancelled; to be considered for rescheduling later. Shows are still scheduled Nov 14-17.
d. KREI Wine Tasting Fund Raiser, Nov 10: Cancelled.
e. Gala opening of the Joan and Robert Rechnitz Hall (new Art building); postponed
7. FEMA: If you have sustained damage, loss or unusual costs due to the storm you should become familiar with the FEMA websites and registration procedures. Review information at www.disasterassistance.gov or from a smartphone: m.fema.gov. FEMA toll free number is: (800)621-3362.
8. A Frequently Asked Questions list focused on student questions but informative for others has been developed and is available at www.monmouth.edu/newsdisplay.aspx?id=24937.