Close Close

On-Campus Employment

Any international student here in F-1 status can apply and work on campus from the start of their academic programs. Unlike other forms of employment for international students, there is no authorization of any kind for an F-1 student required to engage in on-campus employment at Monmouth University. International students are permitted to work on campus for up to 20 hours/week when classes are in session and up to 40 hours/week during official breaks and vacations.

However, any student here on a J-1 status would need to obtain authorization to pursue on campus employment. Please speak with the ISS office for more information on how to acquire this.

If you are interested in applying for an on-campus job, you can visit Monmouth University careers website. Please note that international students are not eligible to apply for positions that are listed as federal work study.

Students at the master’s level or higher may also want to consider a Graduate Assistantship which counts as a form of on campus employment. These opportunities are largely sought out by the graduate level students and can be very competitive. If selected for an on campus graduate assistantship, a certain number of hours will be worked each week and will cover the expense of 3 credits towards your degree.

For more information on these graduate assistantship opportunities please visit the Graduate Assistantships page.

All international students working an on-campus position must have a Social Security Number (SSN) to be hired.

How to obtain an SSN# for On-Campus Employment or Graduate Assistantship

If you are an F-1 or J-1 student who has an on-campus job offer, you will need to have fully completed the Monmouth University “SSN Verification & Eligibility Form”. Your letter cannot be issued more than 30 days prior to the start date of your employment.

  • Once your employer confirms with the Global education office, your on- campus opportunity, we will issue you the social security form signed and dated in ink. 
  • You will then need to bring this form to your employer to fill out their section, also with an original inked and dated signature. 
  • After securing both signatures the SSN eligibility letter can then be submitted to the Social Security Administration along with other required documentation.