Close Close

Military Education Benefit Programs

There are several military education benefit programs that are available to veterans, active-duty service members, and dependents and spouses of service members/veterans. Each military education benefit listed below provides you with general information regarding eligibility requirements. The information given does not guarantee eligibility for benefits. Any specific questions regarding military education benefits should be referred to the Department of Veterans Affairs.  Monmouth University also has dedicated professionals available to assist veterans in accessing and processing their benefits:

Tabitha Conlan

Assistant Director of Financial Aid

Financial Aid

The Great Hall at Shadow Lawn, 108

Xochil Ramirez

Coordinator of Student Support and Veteran Services

Student Life

Rebecca Stafford Student Center, RSSC 202D

GI Bill®

You may be eligible for education benefits through either the Post 911 GI Bill®, the Montgomery GI Bill® Active Duty, or the Montgomery GI Bill® Selected Reserve programs.  Each program has unique eligibility requirements and benefits, so be certain to consult with the Department of Veterans Affairs to determine which program applies to you.

Fry Scholarship

The Fry Scholarship is for children and spouses of service members who died in the line of duty on or after September 11, 2001, while serving in one of the Armed Forces, or was a member of the Selected Reserve who died from a service-connected disability.  Review the eligibility criteria, application procedures, and award amounts for the Fry Scholarship.

Yellow Ribbon Program

Monmouth University is a participant in the program.  Learn more about the Yellow Ribbon Program at Monmouth.

Veteran Readiness and Employment (chapter 31)

If you have a service-connected disability that limits your ability to work or prevents you from working, Veteran Readiness and Employment (formerly called Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment) can help. This program—also known as Chapter 31 or VR&E—helps you explore employment options and address education or training needs. In some cases, your family members may also qualify for certain benefits.

Educational and Career Counseling (chapter 36)

Personalized Career Planning and Guidance (PCPG) offers free educational and career guidance, planning, and resources to Veterans and their dependents who are eligible for a VA education benefit. Find out how to apply for this program if you’re leaving active service soon or have been discharged within the past year.

Survivors’ and Dependents Educational Assistance Program (DEA)

DEA provides education and training opportunities to eligible dependents of veterans who are permanently and totally disabled due to a service-related condition, or who died while on active duty or as a result of a service-related condition. The program offers up to 45 months of education benefits for degree and certificate programs, apprenticeship, and on-the-job training.

Veterans’ Educational Assistance Program (VEAP)

The Veteran’ Educational Assistance Program is available if you first entered active duty between January 1, 1977, and June 30, 1985, and you elected to make contributions from your military pay to participate in this education benefit program. Your contributions are matched on a $2 for $1 basis by the government. This benefit may be used for degree and certificate programs

Tutorial Assistance

If you’re using VA educational assistance, are enrolled at least half-time (6 or more credits) and are taking a course required for your degree or certificate program you may be able to get assistance with paying for a tutor.

Other benefit programs from the Department of Veterans Affairs

Reserve Educational Assistance Program (REAP or Chapter 1607)

Please note that this program has ended, effective November 25, 2015.  Those who were eligible for the program had until November 25, 2019 to use their benefits.

New Jersey Army National Guard

Service members may qualify for tuition assistance of up to $250 per semester hour (maximum $4,000 annually) through the Federal Tuition Assistance program.  The Army National Guard also offers Student Loan Repayment programs for enlisted soldiers, chaplains, and health care professionals.

Private Scholarships

There are many private organizations that offer scholarships to veterans, service members, and/or their spouses and children.  The following are resources to help you start your scholarship search: