Raj Devasagayam, Ph.D., who is known on campus as Dean Raj, began his tenure at the Leon Hess Business School at Monmouth University on July 1, 2021. He previously served as dean of the School of Business at SUNY Old Westbury on Long Island, New York. At SUNY Old Westbury, Devasagayam also served as a professor of marketing and oversaw the school’s AACSB accreditation process; provided administrative and curriculum direction; and helped launch a master’s degree program in forensic accounting that is now regarded as one of the nation’s best. Prior to Old Westbury, Devasagayam served as the director of the Center for Undergraduate Research and Creative Activity at Siena College in Albany, New York, where he also served as the inaugural chair of the Marketing Department and held the Douglas T. Hickey Chair in Business from 2012-2014.
He has been honored with several teaching and research excellence awards by peers and students. At Siena College, Devasagayam received the School of Business Excellence in Research award in 2016, and the Excellence in Teaching Award in 2007. He was honored with The Hormel Meritorious Teaching Award at the Marketing Management Association 2008 annual meeting in Chicago and was recognized with an Excellence in Teaching Award from St. Norbert College, De Pere, Wisconsin, in 2003.
Devasagayam is proud of his publications co-authored with his students that have been published in journals such as Marketing Management Journal, Journal of Brand Management, Journal of Product and Brand Management, Journal of Financial Services Marketing, and Sport Marketing Quarterly. He served as the vice president of publications at the Marketing Management Association from 2010 to 2012.
Devasagayam graduated from the Institute for Management and Leadership in Education at the Harvard Graduate School of Education, Cambridge, Massachusetts. He earned his doctorate in marketing from Florida Atlantic University, Boca Raton, Florida; his MBA from Mumbai University, Maharashtra, India; and his bachelor’s degree in economics from Vikram University, Ujjain, India.
Ph.D., Florida Atlantic University
MBA, Mumbai University
B.A., Vikram University
- “Impact of stress and income vulnerability on Learning Outcomes,” data collection with Ammar Koshk, ongoing.
- “Financial Literacy and Participation in Financial Services by Indian-Americans,” manuscript revisions with Daniel Chacko, ongoing.
- “Celebrity Endorsements and Donations: Empirical Investigation of Impact on Philanthropic Giving,” with N. Peterson, E. Tripoli, K. Langenbach, Business Perspective and Research, Vol. 6, No. 2, (2018), pp. 79 – 89.
- “Effects of Culture and Financial Literacy among Chinese Americans on Participating in Financial Services,” with F. Zhao, J. Sun, G. Clendenen, Journal of Financial Services Marketing, Vol. 23, No. 1, (2018), pp. 62 –75.
- “Implications of Athlete Scandals: Effects on Athlete, Team, and League,” with B. Rucinski, L. McGrath, Journal of Business Theory and Practice, Vol. 5, No. 4, (2017), pp. 274 – 280.
- “An Endowment, commodity, and Prospect Theory Perspective on Consumer Hoarding Behavior,” with D. King, “Journal of Business Theory and Practice, Vol. 5, No.2, (2017), pp. 77 – 88.
- “Brand Endorsers and Cause Related Marketing: An Empirical Investigation,” with M. Meyers, M., K. Ashline, M. Baker, M. Moss, R. Venkatakrishnan, International Journal of Academic Research in Business and Social Sciences, Vol. 7, No. 9, (2017), pp. 137 –144.
- “Pokémon Go – The Next Innovation in Mobile Gaming: Marketing Implications,” with E. Premchan, B. Wakeman, Asian Business Research, Vol.2, No.1, (2017), p.1.
- “Chinese-American Consumption of Financial Service: A Cultural Framework,” with F. Zhao, J. Sun, G. Clendenen, International Journal of Academic Research in Business and Social Sciences, Vol. 7, No. 7, (2017), pp. 192 – 206.
- “Undergraduate Research as a Fate Accompli: Innovation And Evolution Of A Student Conference In Business,” with C.L. Buff, Contemporary Issues in Education Research (Online), Vol. 9, Issue 3, (2016), p. 59.
- “Crisis at a Local Barbershop,” with J. Burnes, Journal of Case Studies, Vol. 34, Issue 1, (2016), pp. 51 – 57.
- “Cognitive Dissonance and Buyers’ Coping Mechanisms: A Comparative Study of US and Indian Consumers,” with A. Zameer, “International Journal of Business Administration, Vol. 6, No. 3, (2016), pp. 1 – 14.
- “The Effect of Deals and Moods on Compulsive Consumption Buying in Young Adults: A Comparison of an Indulgent and Restraint Culture,” with S. Pandey, Journal of Customer Behaviour, Vol. 14, Issue 3, (2015), pp. 257 – 270.
- “Water Crisis in India,” with G. Clendenen, J. Booker, M. Card, Case Research Journal, Vol. 34, Issue 3, (2014), pp. 21 – 44.
- “Does Inclusion in Best/Worst Lists Drive Revenues? Evidence from Corporate Performance and Consumer Reaction,” with E. Keric, DIAS Technology Review: The International Journal for Business and IT, Vol. 10, No. 2, (2014), pp. 15 – 28.
- “Randomized Scales, Scale- Checking Styles, and Reaction Time: Methodological Implications,” with R. Drowne, Business Perspectives and Research, Vol. 2, No. 2, (2014), pp. 9-14.
- “Student Perceptions of Foreign Born Instructors: Implications for Pedagogical Effectiveness,” with N. Stark, Academy of Business Education Journal, Vol.15, (2014), pp. 38 – 50.
- “Laptop Technology in Classrooms: How Student Perceptions Shape Learning and Satisfaction,” with N. Stark, R. Watroba, Atlantic Marketing Journal, Vol. 2, No. 3, (2013), pp. 14 – 23.
- “Examining the Linearity of Customer Satisfaction: Return on Satisfaction as an Alternative,” with N. Stark, and L. Spitz Valestin, Business Perspectives and Research, Vol. 1, No. 2, (2013), pp. 1 – 8.
- “Responsiveness as Antecedent of Satisfaction and Referrals in Financial Services Marketing: Empirical Evidence from an Emergent Economy,” with K. Pandey, Shivendra, “Journal of Applied Business Research, Vol. 28, No. 1, (2012), pp. 115 – 31.
- “Self – Perceived Brand Relevance of and Satisfaction with Social Media,” with K. Judson, C. Buff, Marketing Management Journal, Vol. 22 (Issue 2), (2012), pp. 131-144.
- “Assessing the Role of Intrapersonal Agents in Consumer Decisions,” with M. Stark , Marketing Management Journal, Vol. 21, No. 2, (2011), pp. 22 – 34.
- “Brand Cult: Extending the Notion of Brand Community,” with P. Acosta, Marketing Management Journal, Vol. 20, No. 1, (2010), pp. 165 –176.
- “Credit Cards and College Students: Effect of Materialism and Risk Attitude on Misuse,” with P. Sidoti, Marketing Management Journal, Vol. 20, No. 2, (2010), pp. 64 –79.
- “Building Brand Community Membership Within Organizations: A Viable Internal Branding Alternative?” with T. Aurand, K. Judson, and C. Buff, Journal of Product and Brand Management, Vol. 19, No. 3, (September 2010), pp. 210 – 217.
- “Successful integration of Franciscan Values in Business Curriculum: A Case Study,” The AFCU Journal: A Franciscan Perspective on Higher Education, Vol. 6, Issue 1, (2009), pp. 107 – 111.
- “Multidimensional Conceptualization of Brand Community: An Empirical Investigation,” with C. Buff, Sports Marketing Quarterly, Vol. 17, Issue 1, (2008).
- “Building Brand Community Among Ethnic Diaspora in the US: Strategic Implications for Marketers,” with M. Quinn, Journal of Brand Management, Vol. 13, No. 2, (2005), pp. 101 – 114.
- “Consumer Perceptions of Alternative Dispute Resolution Mechanisms in Financial Transactions,” with J. DeMars, Journal of Financial Services Marketing, Vol. 8, No. 4, (2004), pp. 378 – 87.
- “Reinventing Marketing for Emerging Markets” with A. Zameer, in Jitendra K. Das, Asif Zameer in Anupam Narula and Rakhi Tripathi, eds., Indian Consumers’ Dissonance and Coping Mechanisms: Lessons from an Emerging Economy (Vasant Kunj, New Delhi, India: Bloomsbury Publishing India Pvt. Ltd., 2015).
- “Millennium Development Goals: How Can Creative Capitalism Provide Solutions?” with N. Stark, N. David, in Drs. Kapoor and Kulshrestha, eds., Dynamics of Competitive Advantage and Consumer Perception in Social Marketing (Pennsylvania: IGI Global, 2014).