Julia M. Riordan-Goncalves Ph.D.
Ph.D., University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
- Spanish novel of the Twentieth and Twenty-First Centuries
- Sociological and Psychological theories and the novel
- Spanish Post-Civil War literature and the novel written under/after dictatorship
- Spanish and Spanish-American novels written under/after dictatorship
- Transatlantic considerations of Historical and Collective Memory of dictatorship in the novel
- Dictatorships in the Hispanic World: Transatlantic and Transnational Perspectives. Madison, NJ: Fairleigh Dickinson UP, 2013. Co-editor and contributor.
- “The Body Speaks: Pain, Discipline and Agency in Ana Cañil’s Si a los tres años no he vuelto.” Letras hispanas, Vol. 14, 2018, pp. 139-53.
- “The Discourse of Silence as Testimony in Jenn Díaz’s Es un decir.” Hispania, Vol. 101, No. 1, March 2018, pp. 125-35.
- “Trauma and the Family Emotional System in Jenn Díaz’s Es un decir and Marisa Silva Schultze’s Apenas diez.” Cincinnati Romance Review, Vol. 43, Fall 2017, pp. 197-215.
- “National History and Resistance in Ricardo Piglia’s Respiración artificial and Juan Goytisolo’s Reivindicación del Conde don Julián.” Dictatorships in the Hispanic World: Transatlantic and Transnational Perspectives. Ed. Julia Riordan-Goncalves and Patricia Swier. Madison, NJ: Fairleigh Dickinson UP, 2013. 79-102.
- Review of Reading Twentieth-Century Spanish Literature: Selected Essays, by Noël Valis. Hispania, Vol. 101, No. 1, March 2018, pp. 156-57.
- Review of Sites of Memory in Spain and Latin America: Trauma, Politics, and Resistance, by Aída Díaz de León et al. Hispania, Vol. 99, No. 4, 2016, pp. 680-81.
- Review of Histories, Cultures, and National Identities: Women Writing in Spain, 1877-1984, by Christine Arkinstall. Hispania, Vol. 94, No. 4, 2011, pp. 753-54.
- Review of Zones of Influence: The Production of Madrid in Early Franco Spain, by Adam Winkel. Dissertation Reviews www.dissertationreviews.org. 15 Feb. 2015. n.pag.
- “La identidad femenina en transición en Media vida de Care Santos.” Presented at South Atlantic Modern Language Association Convention, Birmingham, AL, November 2018
- “Building Proficiency in the L2 Classroom: Tools, Strategies and Activities.” Workshop presented at Foreign Language Educators of New Jersey Conference, West Long Branch, NJ, August 2018
- Organizer and Panel Chair– “Confronting a Painful Past: Historical Memory in Novel and Film of the Hispanophone World”. Northeastern Modern Language Association Convention (NeMLA), Hartford, CT, March 2016
- “Trauma, Memory, and Family in Jenn Diaz’s Es un decir and Marisa Silva Schultze’s Apenas diez.” NeMLA Convention, Hartford, CT, March 2016
- “Reclaiming the Past and Reshaping the National Identity in Pedro Amoros’s La extraña victoria.” NeMLA Convention, Toronto, Canada, May 2015
- Organizer and Panel Chair – “Teaching Business Spanish: Approaches and Challenges.” NeMLA Convention, Boston, M.A., March 2013
- 2016 Distinguished Educator Award
- Kappa Delta Pi Undergraduate International Honor Society in Education at Monmouth University