Alyson M. Pompeo-Fargnoli, Ph.D.
Dr. Alyson Pompeo-Fargnoli is a nationally certified counselor (NCC), a licensed professional counselor (LPC), and holds a Substance Abuse and Addictions Counseling Certification. She brings with her a wealth of higher education experience from her over 10 years as a student affairs professional, including in campus alcohol education programs, disability services, and as a College Counseling Center Director. She also serves as an invited guest reviewer for the Journal of Ecopsychology as well as for proposals of the ACA national conference. She holds first authorship of journal articles on subjects such as counselor ethical awareness and the college environment of alcohol use and sexual-risk taking.
Her book chapters have focused on counselor supervision and consultation, counseling women, and topics of counselor development. She has presented at numerous national, regional, and state professional conferences on various topics such as reducing mental health stigma, college counseling best practices, substance use counseling, and counselor ethics. Dr. Pompeo-Fargnoli is also the current department advisor for the National Honor Societies, CSI and CSA, and the Coordinator for the CPCE examination.
Ph.D., Counselor Education, Montclair State University
M.A., Counselor Education, The College of New Jersey
B.A., Psychology, The College of New Jersey
- Pompeo-Fargnoli, A. (In press). Magic mirror on the wall: Counseling self-reflection as an ethical obligation. In Dean, C. & Stewart-Spencer, S. (Eds.), Metaphors and therapy: Enhancing clinical supervision and education (Vol. II). Baton Rouge, LA: Independent Therapy Ink, LLC.
- Fargnoli, A. & Pompeo-Fargnoli, A. (2019). The heart-brain connection from a mental health perspective: Interdisciplinary research & translational science developments. Psychosomatics Journal.
- Pompeo-Fargnoli, A. (2018). The Future Scholars Program: A Counselor Education Community Partnership to Create Systemic Social Change. Southern Association for Counselor Education and Supervision (SACES) Newsletter.
- Pompeo-Fargnoli, A. (2018). Ecofeminist therapy: From theory to practice. Journal of International Women’s Studies, 19(6), 1-16. (Lead Article).
- Pompeo-Fargnoli, A. & Fargnoli, A. (2018). The Role of Counseling to Assist in Heart Disease Improved Outcomes. North Atlantic Region Association for Counselor Education and Supervision (NARACES) Newsletter.
- Pompeo-Fargnoli, A . (2017). Learning not to work harder than your clients. In Cooke, K., Keller-Dupree, B., & Shuler, M. (Eds.), Transformational learning experiences: A conversation with counselors about their personal and professional developmental journals . Lanham, MD: Hamilton Books.
- Pompeo-Fargnoli, A . (2017) . The therapeutic process: The emotional wound metaphor put into action. In Dean, C. & Stewart-Spencer, S. (Eds.), Metaphors and therapy: Enhancing clinical supervision and education . Baton Rouge, LA: Independent Therapy Ink, LLC.
- Pompeo-Fargnoli, A . (2017). Women and relationships. In Schwarz, J. (Ed.), Counseling women across the lifespan: Empowerment, advocacy, and intervention. New York, NY: Springer Publishing. www.springerpub.com/counseling-women-across-the-life-span.html
- Pompeo-Fargnoli, A. (2016). Reflections on the Stanford University Sexual Assault Case. North Atlantic Region Association for Counselor Education and Supervision (NARACES) Newsletter.
- Pompeo, A., Kooyman, L. & Pierce, G. (2014). Counseling college women: The interplay of psychological development, social factors, alcohol, and sexual risk-taking. Adultspan, 13 (1).
- Pompeo, A., & Levitt, D. (2014). A path of counselor self-awareness. Counseling and Values, 59 (1).
- Pompeo, A. (2013). Relationships with Other Professionals: Consultation. In Levitt, D. (Eds.), When Values and Ethics Collide: Real-Life Ethical Decision-Making. New York, NY: Routledge.