Alex S. Romagnoli, Ph.D.
Dr. Alex Romagnoli received his Ph.D. in Composition at TESOL (Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages) at Indiana University of Pennsylvania (IUP). Previously, Alex taught composition studies at IUP and high school English at East Stroudsburg High School South. He is the co-author, with Dr. Gian Pagnucci, of Enter the Superheroes: American Values, Culture, and the Canon of Superhero Literature. Additionally, he received the IUP Composition and TESOL program's "Exemplary Interdisciplinary Research in Literacy Award" in 2014 as well as the "Exemplary Teaching of Literacy and Language Award" in 2013. Dr. Romagnoli is currently co-editing a special edition of the academic journal Works and Days with Dr. Gian Pagnucci. His research interests include multimodality, multiliteracies, usage of graphic novels in academic contexts, and popular culture.
Ph.D. Composition and TESOL, Indiana University of Pennsylvania
MEd, East Stroudsburg University
BS Professional/Secondary Education (English), East Stroudsburg University
English education, multiliteracies, multimodality, visual literacy, alternative texts, popular culture, and graphic novel usage in academic context
- Co-Author of Enter the Superheroes: American Values, Culture, and the Canon of Superhero Literature
- Romagnoli, A. (2018) Sharing Identity: Indexing Cultural Perspectives through Writing Responses to Graphic Novels. SANE journal: Sequential Art Narrative in Education, Vol. 2 (3)
- Bazler, Judith A., Letitia Graybill, Alex Romagnoli. 2018. Getting the Dialogue Started: A Conversation With Educators on GATE Teachers. In Identifying, Describing, and Developing Teachers Who Are Gifted and Talented, edited by Meta L. Van Sickle, Julie D. Swanson, Judith A. Bazler, and Kathryn L. Lubniewski, 12-21. Hersey, PA: IGI Publishing.
- Romagnoli, Alex, Judith A. Bazler, and Meta Van Sickle. 2018. Science Education and the Graphic Novel Connection: Pre-Service Teachers and the Creation of Graphic Novelettes. Science Education 26(2):73-80.
- Romagnoli, A . (2017). The man with identities: Using daredevil as an artifact for literary analysis. In Sandra Eckhard (Ed.), Comic Connections: Analyzing Hero and Identity , pp. 23-36. Lanham, MD: Rowman and Littlefield.
- Romagnoli, A . (2017). Graphic novels and STEAM: Strategies and texts for utilization in STEAM education. In Judith Bazler and Meta Van Sickle (Eds.). Cases on STEAM Education in Practice , pp. 22-37. Hershey, PA: IGI Global.
- Co-Editing (Dr. Gian Pagnucci) Special Edition of the academic journal Works and Days
- Co-Keynote Speaker of Spring 2014 EAPSU Conference (English Association of Pennsylvania State Universities). 2012 & 2013 National Popular Culture Conference Presenter
- Book chapter on utilizing graphic novels in a high school/college English course. Book edited by Dr. Sandra Eckard. 2015 release date.
- Certified Teacher Consultant for Northeastern Pennsylvania Writing Project
- 2014 IUP Composition and TESOL Exemplary Interdisciplinary Research in Literacy Award"
- 2013 IUP Composition and TESOL "Exemplary Teaching of Literacy and Language Award"
Recently Taught Classes
- ED-319-50 - Content Literacy
- ED-529-50 - Content Literacy
- ED-510-50 - Psychological and Philosophical Foundations of Teaching