Close Close


Monmouth University is authorized by the State of New Jersey to offer an educational program at both the undergraduate and graduate level. Students may contact the Office of the Secretary of Higher Education for the State of New Jersey at:

NJ Higher Education
PO Box 542
Trenton, NJ 08625-0542

Middle States Commission on Higher Education Logo

In addition to being licensed by the State of New Jersey, Monmouth University’s education program is accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education (MSCHE). MSCHE is an institutional accrediting agency recognized by the U.S. Secretary of Education and the Council for Higher Education Accreditation. Students with questions regarding the University’s accreditation may contact the Middle States Commission on Higher Education at:

3624 Market Street
Philadelphia, PA 19104

In addition:

  • The Leon Hess Business School is accredited by the AACSB—the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business.
  • The chemistry program (with a concentration in advanced chemistry) is certified by the American Chemical Society (ACS).
  • The baccalaureate degree program in nursing/master’s degree program in nursing/Doctor of Nursing Practice program and post-graduate APRN certificate programs at Monmouth University are accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE),
  • The undergraduate Bachelor of Social Work (BSW) and graduate Master of Social Work  (MSW) programs are accredited by the Council on Social Work Education (CSWE).
  • The Bachelor of Science in Software Engineering (BSSE) program is accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission of (ABET).
  • The Bachelor of Science in Computer Science (BSCS) program is accredited by the Computing Accreditation Commission of (ABET).
  • In the School of Education:
    • The bachelor of arts and bachelor of science programs in Education, the Masters of Arts in Teaching program in Education, and the Master of Science in Education (MSEd) programs in Literacy, Principal/Supervisor, and Special Education are accredited by the Council for the Accreditation for Educator Preparation (CAEP);
    • The MSEd in School Counseling and the MSEd in Student Affairs and College Counseling programs are accredited by the Council for the Accreditation of Counseling and Related Educational Programs (CACREP); and
    • The Master of Science in Education (M.S.Ed.) education program in speech-language pathology (residential) at Monmouth University is accredited by the Council on Academic Accreditation in Audiology and Speech-Language Pathology of the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association, 2200 Research Boulevard, #310, Rockville, MD 20850, 800-498-2071 or 301-296-5700.
  • The Department of Professional Counseling’s Master of Arts in Addiction Studies program is accredited by the National Addiction Studies Accreditation Commission (NASAC), and the Master of Science in Clinical Mental Health Counseling program is accredited by CACREP.
  • The Accreditation Review Commission on Education for the Physician Assistant, Inc. (ARC-PA) has granted Accreditation-Continued status to the Monmouth University Physician Assistant Program sponsored by Monmouth University.Accreditation-Continued is an accreditation status granted when a currently accredited program is in compliance with the ARC-PA Standards.

    Accreditation remains in effect until the program closes or withdraws from the accreditation process or until accreditation is withdrawn for failure to comply with the Standards. The approximate date for the next validation review of the program by the ARC-PA will be March 2029. The review date is contingent upon continued compliance with the Accreditation Standards and ARC-PA policy.

    The program’s accreditation history can be viewed on the ARC-PA website at

  • The entry-level occupational therapy doctoral degree program has applied for accreditation and has been granted Preaccreditation Status by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) of the American Occupational Therapy Association (AOTA), located at 6116 Executive Boulevard, Suite 200, North Bethesda, MD 20852-4929. ACOTE’s telephone number c/o AOTA is (301) 652-AOTA and its web address is program must complete an on-site evaluation and be granted Accreditation Status before its graduates will be eligible to sit for the national certification examination for the occupational therapist administered by the National Board for Certification in Occupational Therapy (NBCOT). After successful completion of this exam, the individual will be an Occupational Therapist, Registered (OTR). In addition, all states require licensure in order to practice; however, state licenses are usually based on the results of the NBCOT Certification Examination. Note that a felony conviction may affect a graduate’s ability to sit for the NBCOT certification examination or attain state licensure.
Logo for the National Council for State Authorization Reciprocity Agreements
  • New Jersey is a member state of the National Council for State Authorization Reciprocity Agreements (NC-SARA or SARA) and Monmouth University is approved as a participating institution.
    • SARA is a voluntary agreement between member states (expect California), the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands that establishes comparable national standards for interstate offerings of postsecondary distance education courses and programs. As a participating SARA institution, Monmouth University is authorized to provide distance education to students who reside in a SARA participating state/territory/district. SARA does not cover all supervised field experience or clinical placement if the Host State requires approval of Supervised Field Experiences by agencies or boards responsible for professional requirements in fields requiring Licensure or certification for practice, such as professional approval requirements remain in effect, such as nursing, teacher education, psychology, counseling, and social work. For additional information regarding SARA and professional licensure requirements, contact your department chair or school dean or contact the Office of the Provost (732-732-3405 or