Alena B. Graedon, M.F.A.
Alena Graedon’s first novel, The Word Exchange, was a New York Times Editors’ Choice and Paperback Row pick, and selected as a best novel of 2014 by Kirkus, Electric Literature, and Tor. It has been translated into eight languages. Graedon’s nonfiction has been published in The Los Angeles Times, The New York Times Book Review, newyorker.com, The Believer magazine, and Guernica, among other places, and her short fiction has appeared in VICE magazine. Graedon has twice received fellowships from MacDowell, as well as from The Corporation of Yaddo, The Ucross Foundation, The Jentel Artist Residency, The Lighthouse Works, VCCA, and The Vermont Studio Center.
Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
M.F.A., Columbia University
B.A., Brown University
The Word Exchange (Doubleday, 2014).
She is currently at work on a second novel, provisionally titled Spitfire, and a collection of short stories, Survivalists.
Graedon’s nonfiction has been published in The Believer, Guernica, The New York Times Book Review, Postroad, and elsewhere.
Frequently Taught Classes
- Advanced Creative Writing (EN 451)
- Craft of Writing (EN 352)
- Creative Writing: Fiction (EN 252)
- Creative Writing: Introduction (EN 251)
- Fiction Workshop (EN 611)
- Literature II: Neoclassical to the Present (EN 202)
- Manuscript Seminar (EN 644)
- Seminar in Creative Writing: Fiction (EN 611)
- Seminar in Creative Writing: Writer's Craft (EN 615)
Recently Taught Classes
- EN-451-50 - Advanced Creative Writing
- EN-615-50 - Craft Seminar
- EN-655A-GR3GI - Mfa Creative Thesis Seminar
- EN-698-51 - Special Topics in English
- EN-352-50 - Craft of Writing
- EN-252-01 - Creative Writing: Fiction
- EN-611-50 - Fiction Workshop
- EN-655A-GR3WO - Mfa Creative Thesis Seminar
- EN-655B-GR3GI - Mfa Creative Thesis Seminar II
2021 Summer D
- EN-451-01 - Advanced Creative Writing
- HO-496-GRAB2 - Honors Thesis/Capstone Completion
- EN-698-01 - Special Topics in English
- EN-652-50 - Craft Intensive Seminar in Creative Writing
- HO-396-GRA2 - Honors Thesis/Capstone Proposal
- EN-615-50 - Seminar in Creative Writing: Writer's Craft