Alena Graedon’s first novel, The Word Exchange, was a New York Times Editors’ Choice and Paperback Row pick, and selected as a best novel of 2014 by Kirkus, Electric Literature, and Tor. It has been published in ten countries and translated into eight languages. Graedon’s nonfiction has been published in The Los Angeles Times, The New York Times Book Review, newyorker.com, The Los Angeles Review of Books, The Believer magazine, Tablet, and Guernica, among other publications. She is at work on two novels and a collection of short stories. Stories from her collection-in-progress have appeared in the VICE magazine fiction issue and in Southern Humanities Review. Graedon has twice received fellowships from MacDowell and The Ucross Foundation; she has also received fellowships from Yaddo, Lighthouse Works, Jentel, VCCA, and The Vermont Studio Center.
Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
M.F.A., Columbia University
B.A., Brown University
The Word Exchange (Doubleday, 2014).
She is currently at work on two novels and a collection of short stories.
Recently Taught Classes
- Advanced Creative Writing – EN 451
- Craft Intensive Seminar in Creative Writing – EN 652
- Seminar in Creative Writing: Writer’s Craft – EN 615
Frequently Taught Classes
- Advanced Creative Writing (EN 451)
- Creative Writing: Fiction (EN 252)
- Creative Writing: Introduction (EN 251)
- Fiction Workshop (EN 611)
- Literature II: Neoclassical to the Present (EN 202)
- Manuscript Seminar (EN 644)
- Seminar in Creative Writing: Fiction (EN 611)
- Seminar in Creative Writing: Writer’s Craft (EN 615)