Monmouth University’s Pollak Gallery
June 17 – August 14 , 2021
Denim, with all its symbols and dualities, is a common item of clothing that unites many around the globe. Dad Jeans, skinny jeans, low riders, bell bottoms, boot leg, wide leg, no leg, 501s, 504s, button fly, stretch jeans, the American dress code writ large across centuries. With so many styles available and ways to accessorize/manipulate the fabric, denim has historically allowed for a freedom of expression representing both individuality and shifts in cultural movements. Denim comes in a wide range of blues and other colors, washes, fades and textures making it a perfect, but not obvious, medium to create fine artwork. Join us now, for a re-imagining of the meaning of denim. Denim that was discarded can open up a new way of looking, a startling way of seeing past the everyday. What we have abandoned, will be presented again, re-purposed from the lives we lived, to moments we experience together “forever in blue jeans.”
Monmouth University’s Center for the Art is looking for artists who use recycled denim in new and creative ways in paintings, sculpture, collages, small constructions and wall hangings, etc. for a juried exhibition that will take place from June 17 – August 14 , 2021 in the Pollak Gallery. Works submitted must use denim as the principal medium of the piece and the fabric must be reconstructed from its original form in some way. Please note that if a physical show is not possible due to ongoing COVID restrictions we will pivot to a virtual format.
- Submissions must be entered through CAFÉ (https://artist.callforentry.org/festivals_unique_info.php?ID=7609) and should include: artist statement, images/media of each piece, artist bio and entry fee.
- Fabric must be reconstructed/repurposed/recycled from its original form in some way.
- Works submitted must use denim as the principal medium of the piece (though it doesn’t have to be the only medium)
- Submissions must be entered through CAFE and should include: artist statement, images/media of each piece, artist bio and entry fee.
- Entry fee is $25 for up to 3 artworks. Each artist may submit up to 3 artworks.
- Accepted work includes: paintings, sculptures, collages, small constructions and finished wall hangings.
- Shipping/drop off of accepted work to Monmouth University is the responsibility of artist
- Only professionally framed or finished artwork will be accepted.
- Wall-hung items must be appropriately framed, edges adequately finished and must be properly wired as the hanging medium. No saw-tooth hangers or metal eyelets will be accepted. Frames must be free of defects and of “sturdy” construction. Canvas wrapped paintings are acceptable (not raw canvas edges.)
- Three-dimensional works must be stable and stand on their own or be submitted with adequate display stands.
- Three dimensional artwork cannot exceed 5′ h x 3′ w and not weigh more than 75 pounds.
The call for entries closes at midnight on May 7, 2021. Participants will be notified by May 17, 2021. The show will run in Monmouth University’s Pollak Gallery from June 17 – August 14 with a virtual opening reception on June 24, 2021 at 7 p.m. For more information or questions please contact Kelly Barratt at 732.263.5114 or email email@example.com