Skip to main content

Student Activities

Requesting a Budget from SGA

The Following are the guidelines currently utilized by the Student Government Association. These guidelines are subject to change and groups and advisors will receive an updated copy when approved.

There is money allotted by the SGA for specific club uses. Any club that does NOT collect dues is eligible for funds if the club has fulfilled all the previously stated guidelines. New or re-activated clubs must be active at least one full semester in order to be eligible for SGA funds. SGA usually begins the budget process (for the following year) towards the end of fall semester. Notices are emailed to club presidents and advisors. A budget proposal is required by a set deadline. The proposals are reviewed by the Budget Committee during the spring semester and funding, for the following academic year, is granted by the end of spring semester. The funding is granted to those clubs who have expressed the greatest need and use for the funds.

Those clubs that do not fulfill all requirements or do not submit proposals by the specified deadline will not receive funding. The submission of a budget proposal DOES NOT guarantee the receipt of a budget allocation.

How to Obtain and Appropriate Use of a University Account

Upon University recognition and SGA funding, the Student Government Association will establish a University account on your behalf. If you do not have an account or funding from SGA and you need an account to place fundraising money into, please see the Office of Student Activities and we will establish and open a University account so club monies can be stored and utilized. The Student Government Association has guidelines that student clubs and organizations must follow in regards to appropriate use of club funds provided through the annual SGA budget allocations. Please see the SGA Budget Use Policy located next in this section.

Budget Uses Policy for SGA Funded Student Groups

*  May be updated as needed by The Student Government Association

Student Funding Overview

Student and club funding comes from a percentage (approximately 20%) of the comprehensive fee all Monmouth students pay every semester. SGA in turn uses this money to fund the annual funding of clubs, special event funding (SEF) for students and clubs, sport club funding (SCF) for the University’s club sports and travel funding (TFR) for students and student groups that are not eligible to receive annual funding from SGA.

In an effort to help students, clubs and their advisors, the following guidelines highlight how annual, SEF, SCF and TFR may be used. Students, clubs, and their advisors are encouraged to review the following guidelines before they plan a program or trip off-campus.

Funding Eligibility

Groups that discriminate because of race, gender, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age, and/or political persuasion will not receive any funding. Annual funding will only be available to student clubs that do not require its members to pay any kind of fee or dues in order to participate as part of the club or club sport.

Prohibited Expenditures/Reimbursements

  1. Activities/events/programs that do not directly benefit Monmouth University students.
  2. Enrollment in academic courses, academic requirements, graduate assistantships, lab fees, academic related travel, required in-class activities, internships, co-operative learning experiences, or any other expense related to a student’s academic experience at Monmouth University.
  3. Alcoholic beverages.
  4. The use of annual funding, SEF, SCF or TFR to pay for the recognition/initiation/dues of members as part of a club or a Greek letter chapter or honor society.
  5. The creation of scholarships, grants, donations or fundraisers using annual funding, SEF, SCF or TFR. Money collected through donations and fundraisers is exempt.
  6. Entertainment that is not open to the entire student body.
  7. Automobile rental other than through approved travel reimbursement.
  8. The purchase of finished products or elements used to create items sold again as part of a fundraising activity. Students may use their own money to pay for such items (i.e. goods created for a bake sale).
  9. Use of student funding to upgrade/modify/renovate a campus space/facility/office.
  10. Utilizing student funds to issue cash prizes.
  11. Annual and SEF/SCF/TFR funds used to benefit former students.
  12. Monmouth University does not reimburse students or clubs the cost of tax related to purchases or expenditures.

Annual Funding, SEF, SCF and TFR Polices

  1. Clubs may purchase promotional clothing (i.e. t-shirts) to market an event or the club. Students and clubs must collect two or more quotes from different vendors before the Office of Student Activities will consider processing an order. SGA shall provide financial support for clothing items not to exceed $10 per t-shirt and not to exceed $30 per article of outerwear (long sleeve shirt, jackets, sweatpants, sweatshirts, etc.). Clothing expenses that are above the limits noted are the responsibility of the student(s) or advisor(s). Students/clubs are discouraged from (may also be prohibited) attempting to purchase clothing items during the last month of the spring semester by OSA and/or SGA.
  2. Students and clubs can use funding to purchase awards, plaques, or certificates that are within reason. Students/clubs may not use funds to make donations on behalf of the club.
    * OSA/SGA requests that the student/club find the most cost effective way in recognizing a person or people since such items can be expensive.
  3. All leftover annual club funding at the end of the academic year will return to the SGA reserve account for future reallocation.
  4. Clubs that receive annual funding may not contribute more than $3,000 from their annual budget to support wages for federal work study/student help. The Office of Student Activities must approve all federal work student and student help requests for clubs/groups.
  5. Students and clubs must submit all receipts for reimbursement within (2) two weeks following the date of the program, off-campus trip or activity. Failure to do so will result in the denial of a reimbursement.
  6. The use of annual, SEF/SCF/TFR funding begins on the first day of fall classes and ends on the last day of spring classes. Students and clubs should not attempt to pay for or schedule programs, trips or activities that take place outside that timeframe. OSA/SGA recognizes that certain groups operate on a year-round schedule and need to access to their annual funding after the end of the academic year.

Food and Meals

  1. Students and clubs must use Gourmet Dining Services when they plan to serve food at an on-campus event. Any exception to this rule must receive prior written (i.e. email) approval from the Director of Gourmet Dining Services.
  2. Students and clubs are limited to purchasing meals/food on-campus no more than (3) three times per semester for group meetings/functions/programs.
  3. Students and clubs will be reimbursed for meals/food that has been purchased up to $37.50 per day per person:
      1. Breakfast: no more than $7.50;
      2. Lunch/Brunch: no more than $10.00; and
      3. Dinner: no more than $20.00

    This would include food/meals that occur on-campus, at a restaurant and during off-campus travel to a conference or competition. Students and advisors must submit an itemized receipt(s) from the business for reimbursement. Meal/food expenses that are above the limits noted are the responsibility of the student(s) or advisor(s).

Off-Campus Travel

  1. The Office of Student Activities must approve all trips no less than 45 days before the intended trip. Failure to comply with this requirement will result in a voided request for travel.
  2. The use of student funding for off-campus travel must directly relate to the mission/purpose of the group (i.e. attending a local, regional, or national conference/competition).
  3. Students and clubs may not use student funding to purchase tickets or gain admission to events or other activities off campus, such as (but not limited too) amusement parks, concerts, theatrical shows, golf outings, movies or sporting events or for the group’s personal use or pleasure. However, programs and events that are open and marketed to the entire Monmouth University community may use student funds to purchase tickets or gain admission to such events.

Policies Only Applicable to SEF/SCF/TFR

  1. Clubs that receive an annual budget are not eligible to apply for SEF/SCF/TFR. Clubs without an annual budget may apply for SEF/SCF/TFR (2) two times within the course of one academic year.
  2. The use of SEF funding is limited to students and groups that intend to hold a one-time only on-campus program/event.
  3. SGA will allocate individual SEF in amounts up to $3,000 for programs and events that take place on-campus.
  4. Expenses above the SEF/SCF allocation are the responsibility of the student/club/sport club.
  5. Monmouth University sport clubs may apply for SCF funding up to (1) one time per semester in an amount not to exceed $3,000 per request.
  6. Sport Club Funding (SCF) may only be used to cover the following expenses: (1) cost of renting a bus or van, (2) competition registration fees, (3) practice facility rental fee, (4) hotel fees, (5) cost of food during travel (pursuant to policy #3 of Funding Policies above) and (6) non-personal team equipment (i.e. balls and goals).
  7. Travel Funding Request (TFR) is for students and groups that do not receive an annual budget. TFR is matching grant program that requires applicants to show proof of funds raised toward an intended trip. TFR awards are limited to $3,000 per request.


  • Students and clubs must use their student funding in a responsible and cost efficient manner.
  • Clubs should actively work with their advisor/coach to process payments and reimbursements in a timely manner. You should take no more than (2) two weeks to process this information after the event or off-campus trip or activity.
  • All on-campus events and off-campus trips hosted by students and clubs MUST receive prior approval from the Office of Student Activities. To schedule a meeting to discuss an intended trip off-campus call 732-571-3586.
  • If any student, club or their advisor/coach has a question regarding the way it intends to use any student funding it has received, they should speak to the SGA Budget Committee before it commits any resources to a proposed activity/expense.
  • Failure to follow these guidelines may affect a student/club’s ability to apply for student funding in the future.
**OSA/SGA reserves the right to review student/club expenses when a concern regarding annual funding, SEF/SCF/TFR arises




For more information call OSA at 732-571-3586, SGA at 732-571-3484 or email for budget related questions or for SEF/SCF/TRF related questions.

Depositing Money into Your University Account

Groups should never leave cash or checks lying around. If you have income from fundraisers, event ticket sales or other forms of income; deposit the money into your University account within 48 hours at the Cashiers Office located in Wilson Hall. Deposit forms are available in the Office of Student Activities and Student Center Operations.

If money is owed to a member of your group for purchases, it SHOULD NEVER come directly out of the income from your event or fundraiser. All monies should be deposited into your group account and a re-imbursement should be requested for any expenses owed to a member of your group. This is to best monitor and track appropriate usage of your student club funds.

Special Event Funding + Club Sport Funding (By SGA)

University recognized individuals and groups are eligible to apply for Special Event Funding and Club Sport Funding. Requests must be submitted at least 45 days prior to the event in order to receive consideration. Forms are available through the SGA secretary on the 2nd floor of the Rebecca Stafford Student Center. Anything that requires travel should be in at least 45 days in advance so travel arrangements and hotel reservations can be made in a timely fashion.

The Student Government Association each year sets aside a small amount of money that is used for Special Event Funding. Funding for special events is a one-time allocation that must be applied for in writing to SGA and if granted, used for only one event. Clubs may not use such funding as an annual budget and must be in good standing with SGA.

Co-sponsorship Funds

The Office of Student Activities and Student Center Operations has a limited amount of funding available to co-sponsor activities with student clubs and organizations. Any registered student club or organization may apply for co-sponsorship funding for events they are planning to host on-campus and open to the campus community. There are four co-sponsorship programs for which groups can apply. Only one can be used for each event.

Due to budget constraints, the office may not be able to fund every program, and it is suggested that applications be made at least four weeks before the event is to take place.

For more information on any of the following programs, please contact the Office of Student Activities at 732-571-3586.

The co-sponsorship programs offered are:

General Co-sponsorship Fund Request

Application for this co-sponsorship fund is available online at the MyMU Portal or at the Office of Student Activities. Groups may receive up to 20% of the total estimated expenses for the event if held Sunday through Thursday. Events held on Friday or Saturday are eligible for up to 30% of the total estimate expenses. Additional information can be found on the “Co-sponsorship Guidelines for Student Organizations” that comes with the application.

Beyond the Classroom Student Organization Grants

To encourage our student clubs and organizations to work with academic departments and faculty members outside of the classroom, the office is offering the Beyond the Classroom Grant program. Student groups can apply for $250 or $400 in funding to co-sponsor with an academic department for an outside-the-classroom experience a/or activity that is open to the campus community. The student group is expected to be in attendance for the program and assist the department in any way need. Additional information will be given with the application.

Weekend Warrior Grant Program

The office also has a Weekend Warrior Grant program to enhance fun weekend opportunities for the campus community. This grant is to provide financial assistance to recognized clubs or organizations that want to plan events on Friday evening or on Saturday. Preference for financing will be given to those proposals that are collaborative efforts/co-sponsored events between recognized student organizations.

There are two funding cycles for Weekend Warrior grant distribution each academic year. Every organization president and advisor will be e-mailed the dates for pick up and submission deadlines each semester.

Inclusion Grant Program

The inclusion grant is for organizations looking to have an event that is centered around but not limited to: multicultural topics, diversity, awareness, LGBTQ, social justice, gender studies, and much more. This grant is available in two different amounts depending on if the program will be on a weekend or week day. The Office of Student Activities supports these events and wanted to offer additional funding to groups that wanted to have programming centered on inclusion and be able to provide more specific resources to assist the group and the event to succeed.

Fundraising, Raffles, & Games of Chance

The Office of Student Activities and Student Center Operations and the Student Government Association encourages all student organizations to actively raise funds for their organization’s use. In order to assure that any fundraising activities are not considered suspect with regard to prize distribution or financial misappropriations, all student organizations are required to adhere to these fundraising guidelines.

  1. All student organizations interested in raising funds, bake sales, contests, etc. must complete a fundraising request at the Office of Student Activities and Student Center Operations to gain official approval and table/building space. If the organization is interested in doing a raffle or game of chance, a separate process must be completed. Please stop by the Office of Student Activities for the application process for conducting a raffle. This process is lengthy and should be started at least ten
    (10) to twelve (12) weeks prior to the raffle date.
  2. If the fundraiser is an event type of program (i.e. dance, show, etc.) an appointment must be made with the Director of Student Activities and Student Center Operations to review plans and discuss expenses.
  3. Once the fundraiser takes place, the organization must come back to the Office of Student Activities and Student Center Operations to inform the staff as to who won the contest and/or to report revenue earned from the fundraiser. Please complete the Fundraising Reconciliation Form and return to the Office of Student Activities and Student Center Operations. This information is for the Office of Student Activities and Student Center Operations’ records only. Student organizations will not be able to continue fundraising events until this information is provided. Also, failure to report fundraiser amounts may result in denial of future funding for organization projects.
  4. No student group may solicit funds or items from off-campus sources for its own use or a charitable purpose without permission from the Vice President for Student Life and Leadership Engagement and the Vice President for External Affairs. The Office of Student Activities and Student Center Operations will be happy to assist students in obtaining permission to fundraise for their use or a charitable purpose.
  5. In order for a student group to host a raffle or event that includes any games of chance, the group must complete an extensive application with the Borough of West Long Branch. Please be advised that the application process is lengthy and must be completed at least ten (10) to twelve (12) weeks in advance of the anticipated event. Please stop by the Office of Student Activities for additional information and for the application.

Monmouth University Raffle Policy Checklist

To Obtain a License:

❏ Print out and complete 4 copies of Raffle or Bingo License which can be found at: Bring the copies to the Office of the General Counsel, located in Wilson Hall, Room 304. The license must be signed by a Vice President and notarized after it is approved by the Office of the General Counsel.

❏ Sign out the University’s Legalized Games of Chance Control Commission Registration Certificate from the Office of the General Counsel. Bring original certificate to the municipality of West Long Branch with application.

❏ Attach the applicable fees to the application. Amounts can be found in Attachment A of the University’s Raffle Policy, which can be found online at:

❏ Ensure that the municipality will provide printers certificate. Tickets can be printed in the Monmouth University copy center.

Once a license is obtained:

A Member in Charge must contact the Controller’s Office for an object code. Raffle proceeds must be deposited in a separate account.

Ensure that all advertisements include the requirements set forth in the policy.

Display a sign that reads: “Is gambling a problem for you or someone in your family? Dial 1-800-GAMBLER” at the place where the game of chance is being conducted or at the location where the raffle tickets are being sold. The Office of the General Counsel shall provide the sign upon request.

Deposit all net proceeds through the Department of Financing into an account with object code 05105. The games of chance account, where net proceeds are deposited, is Ocean First Bank, 308 West Main Street, Freehold, New Jersey 08828.

After Game of Chance is Conducted:

Obtain raffle report located at: Obtain raffle report located at Complete and send to Office of the General Counsel for approval. The report can be emailed to Sandy Kosinski, Director of Internal Audit, at After approval, the report will be signed by a Vice President and notarized. The General Counsel’s Office will send report to the LGCCC.

All copies of raffle applications, raffle licenses, and raffle report of operations shall be provided to the General Counsel’s Office. Failure to abide with the policy or file timely report of operations may subject the applicable group or department to be prohibited from applying for and conducting further raffles.

If you are unsure whether or not you need to obtain a license or if you have any questions regarding the Bingo and Raffle Procedures, you should contact the General Counsel’s Office at (732)571-3598. If the University is found in violation of the relevant statutes, rules, and regulations, it can be fined up to $7,500 for the first offense and up to $15,000 for the second and subsequent offenses. The University could also have its LGCCC Registration suspended or revoked.

Purchasing Items from Off-Campus Vendors

Prior to purchasing something, the organization should check with the Office of Student Activities and Student Center Operations to determine if a Purchase Requisition is REQUIRED. If so, that is the only way the items can be purchased. The University cannot reimburse someone after the fact when the item should have been purchased through the Purchase Requisition. See below for more information.

Prior to purchasing any items, the student organization should confirm that it has the funds available and that this is a proper use of its budget as per the group’s budget request to the SGA (if applicable).

For purchasing items such as, but not limited to, clothing for the group as advertisement or to sell, printed items, novelty items, equipment, etc. from websites, catalogs, local or out of area vendors, the organization must complete the Request for Use of University Account Funds, . Next, a completed copy must be returned with the advisor’s signature to the Office of Student Activities and Student Center Operations, who will then process a purchase requisition PRIOR TO you placing an order. The correct procedure is as follows:

  • Speak to the company to obtain a “quote” for the item but not to order the item. Quotes over a certain dollar amount may require bids from other companies.
  • Complete a “Request for Use of University Account Funds” available in the Office of Student Activities and Student Center Operations.
  • Have the president or treasurer and the advisor sign off on the form and return it to the Office of Student Activities.
  • The Office of Student Activities will process the paperwork and have the Purchasing Department process a purchase requisition for the company and officially order your item(s).
  • Once you have received the items, give an invoice or the packing slip (particularly for items shipped to you) to the Office of Student Activities. The office will notify the Purchasing Department to pay the vendor.

Two vendors in the area are on a system of Quick Orders with the University. These vendors are: Shoprite and K-Mart.

This means that the person making the purchase can present the Quick Order in lieu of money. The Request for Use of University Account Funds is available at the Office of Student Activities and Student Center Operations, as well as on the portal. The completed request, with president or treasure’s signature and advisor’s signature must be returned to the Office of Student Activities and Student Center Operations. The secretary will complete a Quick Order form for the organization. The purchaser takes the completed Quick Order to the local store. At checkout time the purchaser will leave the top copy of the Quick Order with the vendor and return all other copies and the receipt to the secretary in the Office of Student Activities and Student Center Operations for payment processing. Purchases are tax-exempt.

It is recommended that the organization check with the Office of Student Activities and Student Center Operations to determine the best way to purchase items. It is not recommended that students purchase items and then try to get reimbursed. Reimbursement requests will be turned down for any of the following reasons: if the item was supposed to be purchased through a purchase requisition, if there is not an original itemized receipt, if it is not proper use of organization funds per the SGA guidelines, if the organization does not have the money to pay for the reimbursement or if the president/treasurer and advisor did not agree to the reimbursement. It is always better to use the University quick order or purchase requisition system.

Failure of a student organization to return receipts and form copies to the Office of Student Activities and Student Center Operations and failure to notify Purchasing after receipt of merchandise will result in the loss of Quick Order/Purchase Requisition use.

Obtaining Tax Exempt Forms

If you are shopping off campus at a vendor/store that does not take a University quick order, you can obtain a tax exempt form to take with you so you do not have to pay for taxes. These forms are available through the Accounts Payable Department. To request a tax exempt form for a store, please provide the following information to the Office of Student Activities and Student Center Operations: Name of Store, Street Address, City, State, Zip Code, and Purpose of Purchase. The Office of Student Activities and Student Center Operations will request the tax exempt form on your behalf. Please allow 1 week notice prior to shopping for this form. When you go shopping, most stores will keep the tax exempt form for their records.

// //